Who Loves Their 1 Watt Marshall?

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Im going to put my extra greenback 10 in there tonight. See how it goes. This is a good thing because I have that extra speaker with no home other than it's box. It's well broken in. Glad this conversation came up.

I quite like the Greenback with most Marshall amps, not sure I’m crazy about the Vintage 30 sound for playing at home, it’s nice in a band setting when you want to cut through the mix. Hence my hesitation with the Vintage 10. Of course all sound is subjective.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I quite like the Greenback with most Marshall amps, not sure I’m crazy about the Vintage 30 sound for playing at home, it’s nice in a band setting when you want to cut through the mix. Hence my hesitation with the Vintage 10. Of course all sound is subjective.

I agree. I tend to gravitate towards the greenback for solo'd sounds. Just has that warmth but like you said it's not all across the board and there are so many variables.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I think i will try the new 10" Creamback, when they are in stock at the dealers

I would love to get my hands on a G10 Creamback when they are released! Emailed Dr. Decible at Celestion and he said they hoped to have them roll out in May!

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I agree. I tend to gravitate towards the greenback for solo'd sounds. Just has that warmth but like you said it's not all across the board and there are so many variables.

With the Greenback, I’ll boost with a TS9 if I want that mid-range punch for solos or tight riffs.

Delete!!

Reaction score
What are your opinions on the DSL1CR? My birthday is coming up and I have been thinking about getting one. I had the 5CR, and it was a really cool little amp. Wanting something really small that will scream with my LP’s. Always wanted to try a 1-watt amp. It’s just for fun, I have bigger amps for more serious playing. How is the stock 8” speaker? Does the green channel deliver any good crunch tones? Thanks!

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Anyone who owns a 50th DSL-1 find that it doesn’t take distortion of fuzz pedals well, even on the green channel? Compared to my JCM-1 there’s a major volume boost when distortion or fuzz is engaged, so using these pedals with both amps running together doesn’t work well, as the DSL has a big volume boost over the JCM.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
What are your opinions on the DSL1CR? My birthday is coming up and I have been thinking about getting one. I had the 5CR, and it was a really cool little amp. Wanting something really small that will scream with my LP’s. Always wanted to try a 1-watt amp. It’s just for fun, I have bigger amps for more serious playing. How is the stock 8” speaker? Does the green channel deliver any good crunch tones? Thanks!

The DSL1CR is loaded with the Celestion Eight 15 just like the 50th, which sounds ok, but a bit weak. The green channel is clean/crunch combined, (higher volume = more crunch) whereas on the 50th it’s clean only, no crunch even with the gain at 10. Only with the MV up all the way up does it have a JTM sounding crunch. You might be disappointed with the amp if you already owned the DSL5CR..

Last edited:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Anyone who owns a 50th DSL-1 find that it doesn’t take distortion of fuzz pedals well, even on the green channel? Compared to my JCM-1 there’s a major volume boost when distortion or fuzz is engaged, so using these pedals with both amps running together doesn’t work well, as the DSL has a big volume boost over the JCM.

The only pedal I liked for boosting the Ultra channel is an Xotic EP Boost. Or just any clean boost but I like the EP best. It also sounds great into my DSL20HR and Mini Jubilee 2525H.

The Classic Gain Channel, the tried and true TS or Klone type worked best. It's just the circuit I guess.

I agree about the clean headroom on the 50th DSL1 and the Classic channel. Hard to get it to break up at all on its own.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I will also throw in a Wampler Tumnus set right gets a very close to cranked amp tone for the JTM1 or Offset. If, you wanting a clean amp base/lower volume setup.

Dunlop's Echoplex and Preamp is the business too into them.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only pedal I liked for boosting the Ultra channel is an Xotic EP Boost. Or just any clean boost but I like the EP best. It also sounds great into my DSL20HR and Mini Jubilee 2525H.

The Classic Gain Channel, the tried and true TS or Klone type worked best. It's just the circuit I guess.

I agree about the clean headroom on the 50th DSL1 and the Classic channel. Hard to get it to break up at all on its own.

I use at TC-E Spark boost as a clean boost, works great

jupiter89

Reaction score
I've been away for a LONG time, but got pulled back in :dude: I bought a DSL1 When they first came out and just today saw there was a 1 watt DSL1HR I never knew existed. What's the difference ? ( It would probably better for me to start a new thread about that DSL1 I got from the UK for which I have to use a voltage converter. I want to find out if the transformer can be rewired so I don't have to use it ). In any event the DSL1 sounds awesome and was quite a bit more pricier than the great deal for the DSL1HR.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I've been away for a LONG time, but got pulled back in :dude: I bought a DSL1 When they first came out and just today saw there was a 1 watt DSL1HR I never knew existed. What's the difference ? ( It would probably better for me to start a new thread about that DSL1 I got from the UK for which I have to use a voltage converter. I want to find out if the transformer can be rewired so I don't have to use it ). In any event the DSL1 sounds awesome and was quite a bit more pricier than the great deal for the DSL1HR.

1 watt Marshall thread so I don't see why not.

I have both. The new DSL's, including the 1 watt, were tweaked a bit in their sound from the previous lineup.

I like the Ultra channel's distortion better in the new DSL1 than the 50th model. It just sounds richer and fuller. Without the sometimes harsh spike that I could never dial out on the 50th. Not that it sounds bad but I prefer the new model.

Classic gain channel preference goes to the 50th. This channel has the biggest difference in tone between them. The newer model breaks up pretty good but it needs volume. I've read comments of it being thin sounding and I get that but you have to eq the amp to it. It can be a cool classic rock tone but it is revealing so you better hit the note. A decent non master volume kind of sound. And it is just a volume knob. The 50th in this channel, I can't get hardly any breakup with a vintage strat and the amp wide open. Thats pre and master. A Les Paul doesn't distort it like youd think. This channel has a lot of clean headroom.

In tandem I'd run the new DSL1 dirty and the 50th clean and switch between them.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 watt Marshall thread so I don't see why not.

I have both. The new DSL's, including the 1 watt, were tweaked a bit in their sound from the previous lineup.

I like the Ultra channel's distortion better in the new DSL1 than the 50th model. It just sounds richer and fuller. Without the sometimes harsh spike that I could never dial out on the 50th. Not that it sounds bad but I prefer the new model.

Classic gain channel preference goes to the 50th. This channel has the biggest difference in tone between them. The newer model breaks up pretty good but it needs volume. I've read comments of it being thin sounding and I get that but you have to eq the amp to it. It can be a cool classic rock tone but it is revealing so you better hit the note. A decent non master volume kind of sound. And it is just a volume knob. The 50th in this channel, I can't get hardly any breakup with a vintage strat and the amp wide open. Thats pre and master. A Les Paul doesn't distort it like youd think. This channel has a lot of clean headroom.

In tandem I'd run the new DSL1 dirty and the 50th clean and switch between them.

I really like the green channel on my Dsl1hr. It does break up early, probably around 6 on the volume. I like that, I hardly ever have the need to play crystal clear cleans,... like Fender cleans.

I prefer my clean tone with a bit of hair on it to thicken it up a bit and make it interesting.

I also like the green channel dimed, sounds great with my LPs and my Strat. Thick, smooth and creamy breakup without approaching any hint of harshness.

Between the green channel and the red channel of my Dsl1hr,...and my SC20h, I’ve got quite a substantial menu of Marshall tones at my fingertips! :cool:

Last edited:

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I really like the green channel on my Dsl1hr. It does break up early, probably around 6 on the volume. I like that, I hardly ever have the need to play crystal clear cleans,... like Fender cleans.

I prefer my clean tone with a bit of hair on it to thicken it up a bit and make it interesting.

I also like the green channel dimed, sounds great with my LPs and my Strat. Thick, smooth and creamy breakup without approaching any hint of harshness.

Between the green channel and the red channel of my Dsl1hr,...and my SC20h, I’ve got quite a substantial menu of Marshall tones at my fingertips! :cool:

Agreed completely! I’ve got a 50th DSL-1 and JCM-1 and between the two, I can cover a lot of ground. The DSL’s green channel is clean with high headroom, the JCM picks up where this channel leaves off covering crunch to pretty moderate gain (especially with the boost engaged) and the DSL’s red channel is a high gain lead sound!

I kind of wish the green channel on the 50th had the “crunch” sound that so many people love, but it’s pretty similar to the JCM sound, so I suppose I’ve got that covered with the JCM-1.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Any SV20C or SC20C users able to chime in on the V-Type 10 inch? I noticed Celestion has rolled these out. What do these sound like? Also noticed Marshall is loading these into the new Studio, Classic and Jubilee 1x12 & 2x12 extension cabs. Anyone feel free to chime in about these.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any SV20C or SC20C users able to chime in on the V-Type 10 inch? I noticed Celestion has rolled these out. What do these sound like? Also noticed Marshall is loading these into the new Studio, Classic and Jubiler 1x12 & 2x12. Anyone feel free to chime in about these.

Well I’m not sure I know what this has to do with 1watt Marshall amps. The IS a Marshall 1 watt amp thread. This post should be in th SC or SV thread.

But actually I might be able to help, not with personal experience though. I know of at least one member here that has a JCM800 Studio combo, and he loves it,..... @Ian Alderman,.....maybe he’ll chime in now that I have givin’ him a shout out. Maybe he’ll respond in the Official “Studio Classic” thread.