Who Loves Their 1 Watt Marshall?

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Well I’m not sure I know what this has to do with 1watt Marshall amps. The IS a Marshall 1 watt amp thread. This post should be in th SC or SV thread.

But actually I might be able to help, not with personal experience though. I know of at least one member here that has a JCM800 Studio combo, and he loves it,..... @Ian Alderman,.....maybe he’ll chime in now that I have givin’ him a shout out. Maybe he’ll respond in the Official “Studio Classic” thread.

Thanks, l’ll look into that thread. I suppose I should have specified that my inquiry is related to speaker swaps for the 1 watt Marshall combo amps. I own a couple of them and am on a bit of a mission to find the best possible speaker fit for my amps.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Kind of on the same mission, but I'm looking for something with nice lower mids, bass, and low volume so I can play it on the house..

Which 1 watt Marshall do you own? That might help to narrow down which speaker would be best suited. I use the G10 Greenback and it definitely checks all those boxes, speaker efficiency is 95dB which is definitely house friendly with 1 watt cranked.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
The Vietnam made Dsl-1 h

Well that leaves a lot of options since you’re running it through an extension cab! What size cab are you using? I think the general consensus with the 1 watt amps is that 12” speakers are best, but 10” speakers are an option too, anything smaller is too small.. There are far more 12” options out there.

For the DSL series, being a more modern sounding amp, people seem to love Vintage 30s, or G12T-75s. I love Greenbacks (currently using a 10” with my 50th DSL-1C) and they do a great job of making any amp sound more 70s rock like. In 12” they come in many more flavours; these include G12M-25 reissue (made in China), Heritage G12M-20 (made in England), Heritage G12H-30 (55hz bass or 75hz lead - made in England). Also, Creambacks are very nice and quite popular, they’re basically higher power handling Greenbacks, but have their own sound and they come in medium (M) and heavy (H) magnet varieties too.

What style of music do you play? That makes a difference as well.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'm mostly after breakup, crunch, or medium distortion where you back up the guitar volume to clean things up a bit. Sometimes it's full distortion also, but the focus is the former.

I'm using an Epiphone cab with an Eminence speaker atm. Have a 2x12 from a vibrolux and a couple of other 1x12s but alas they are 8 ohms..

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing my Dsl1hr thru a 1-12 Marshall cab with a G12M65-Creamback, but I'm now using that cab for a different amp head. The Creamback sounds great with my Dsl1, I can recommend it highly. :cool: I've also got a Blackheart 1-12 cab, but it's got an 8 ohm speaker in it,... so I need to change it out to use with my DSL.

Here's a pic of the Blackheart,....

I'm ordering a 16 ohm G12M Greenback this weekend to put in the Blackheart and use my Dsl1 with that cab. I love the tone of both the Creamback and Greenback and the Greenback being a 25 watt speaker with 96db, there should be plenty of crunchiness going on! :naughty:

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I'm mostly after breakup, crunch, or medium distortion where you back up the guitar volume to clean things up a bit. Sometimes it's full distortion also, but the focus is the former.

I'm using an Epiphone cab with an Eminence speaker atm. Have a 2x12 from a vibrolux and a couple of other 1x12s but alas they are 8 ohms..

Well that crunch sound you’re after could easily be achieved with a variety of speakers and the DSL. I find that the red channel cleans up pretty nicely with my volume rolled back (especially with my Strat but also with my Les Paul) so that with the guitar volume at 10 it’s all out distortion and more of a crunch with the volume rolled back (I run mine with the gain at 8).

I was unaware that the DSL series 1 watt was only 16 ohm compatible, the 50th DSL 1 watt can handle 8 ohms, that’s too bad you only have 8 ohm speakers... Like scozz, I would strongly recommend Creambacks, Greenbacks or clones (WGS green beret comes to mind, cheaper and a bit better sounding than the Chinese made Celestion G12M-25), Greenbacks and copies are pretty classic and really capture that 70s British amp sound, classic rock & roll. They’re generally more mid-range focused with a nice treble roll off, not too bass heavy (G12H-30, has more bass and more scooped mids if you’re after that). Checkout some videos on YouTube for tonal differences. Johan Segeborn does some amazing speaker comparisons and mostly with Marshall amps, so it’ll give you a good idea of sound possibilities.

Last edited:

jupiter89

Reaction score
Does anyone sell a 1-12 Marshall cab with a G12M65-Creamback ? I could not find a vendor. I found a Marshall MX112R cab at Sweetwater but the speaker is a:
  • 12" Celestion Seventy 80
  • Power Handling:80W - could a 1 watt head drive that ???
I wonder if a G12M65-Creamback could fit right in that cabinet without any modifications to the baffle. That speaker has rave reviews. At 65W handeling it's just 15W below the one in the MX112R cab so I guess either would work although the Creamback must sound a lot better

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone sell a 1-12 Marshall cab with a G12M65-Creamback ? I could not find a vendor. I found a Marshall MX112R cab at Sweetwater but the speaker is a:
I wonder if a G12M65-Creamback could fit right in that cabinet without any modifications to the baffle. That speaker has rave reviews. At 65W handeling it's just 15W below the one in the MX112R cab so I guess either would work although the Creamback must sound a lot better
Yes it will (sound better) and yes you can install it in the mx cab with no mods at all. Cheers Mitch

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
falcon-40-10.png I run my dsl1 through a lead 12 cab with a 10" jensen Falcon jet 10/40..a lot like a 10" greenback.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Marshall cab, (MX112R), and changed out the stock Seventy/80 speaker to a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback. And yes, its a direct replacement, Just unscrew one, and screw the other one in.

Let me tell you something, I played a few weeks with the Seventy/80 speaker, I wanted to give it a fair chance. Well that speaker leaves a lot to be desired. It has s sharp piercing tone, especially when cranked, very unpleasant to listen to.

I pretty much knew from the get-go that I’d have to change the speaker, even before I got the cabinet I knew! So no surprise there.

But manI didn’t realize how great the Creamback would sound! Great tones right from the beginning, and it just got sweeter and sweeter as it was breaking in! I originally bought the cab for a new Dsl1hr I recently got,....and man that amp sounded great with that speaker.

I was concerned that my new 1 watt head would not be able to drive a 65 watt speaker. So I contacted Celestion, and the person I talked to suggested to me NOT to get too hung up on speaker wattage when the amp power is so much lower that the speaker.

He told me that my Dsl1hr would be fine playing through a 65 watt Creamback,..and then he said he thought it would sound great!

(Oh, one reminder, whatever speaker you end up buying, make sure you get the 16 ohm version of the speaker).

Currently, I’m not using the Creamback loaded cab with my Dsl1hr any longer. I recently bought a new Marshall head and I’m playing the new head thru it,.....

Original rig with the Dsl1hr,....

New amp head with the cabinet,....

jupiter89

Reaction score
Thanks a load for the reply scozz ! Are you keeping that MX112R cab with the Creamback G12M-65 or selling it ??

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has just come home from vacation of 10 days in Greece.
I have played but have missing my own stuff.

Put on my JTM1 the first thing I did and a big smile spread in the face.

Sounds so great :)

Cheers :cheers:

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I bought a Marshall cab, (MX112R), and changed out the stock Seventy/80 speaker to a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback. And yes, its a direct replacement, Just unscrew one, and screw the other one in.

Let me tell you something, I played a few weeks with the Seventy/80 speaker, I wanted to give it a fair chance. Well that speaker leaves a lot to be desired. It has s sharp piercing tone, especially when cranked, very unpleasant to listen to.

I pretty much knew from the get-go that I’d have to change the speaker, even before I got the cabinet I knew! So no surprise there.

But manI didn’t realize how great the Creamback would sound! Great tones right from the beginning, and it just got sweeter and sweeter as it was breaking in! I originally bought the cab for a new Dsl1hr I recently got,....and man that amp sounded great with that speaker.

I was concerned that my new 1 watt head would not be able to drive a 65 watt speaker. So I contacted Celestion, and the person I talked to suggested to me NOT to get too hung up on speaker wattage when the amp power is so much lower that the speaker.

He told me that my Dsl1hr would be fine playing through a 65 watt Creamback,..and then he said he thought it would sound great!

(Oh, one reminder, whatever speaker you end up buying, make sure you get the 16 ohm version of the speaker).

Currently, I’m not using the Creamback loaded cab with my Dsl1hr any longer. I recently bought a new Marshall head and I’m playing the new head thru it,.....

Original rig with the Dsl1hr,....

New amp head with the cabinet,....

Scozz, seeing this and hearing your experiences with the Creambacks makes me really want one of the new Celestion G10 Creambacks, in their 12” form, they’re a great sounding speaker, similar to the Greenback yet different. Celestion was supposed to roll them out earlier this month but alas, nothing yet.

This cab with both your DSL1 and SC20 looks amazing (especially that SC20). I live in Canada and the cost of Marshall cabs is kind of outrageous.. especially the made in England line... those new 1x12 cabs that rolled out with the studio line are over $800 with taxes and they’re loaded with V-Types... maybe if they had Marshall G12 Vintages or Celestion Heritage speakers this would be more justified, but $800 plus a speaker upgrade is nuts!

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Which speaker do you prefer the Greenback or Vintage?

The Greenback went in first. Seemed the logical choice and it stayed that way for a while. I like that speaker but I've also heard it pushed by more than 1 watt and in other cabinets. It really comes alive then. The Vintage gives more sizzle easily which is what I want. I'm looking for a bright broken up tone from the amp.