Who Loves Their 1 Watt Marshall?

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I'm still holding out for 2205 one watter...:shrug:

The JCM1 has a boost switch that adds diodes to the circuit, and removes them when disengaged. The boost was designed to make the amp sound similar to the dual channel 800s and the Jubilee lead channel when engaged. It’s actually nicer than both, in my opinion, because there is power amp distortion after the diodes, making them part of the mix rather than the the over-riding colour. So essentially it can cover the tone of 3 different Marshall amps in one!

Last edited:

Sean Christie

Reaction score
The Greenback went in first. Seemed the logical choice and it stayed that way for a while. I like that speaker but I've also heard it pushed by more than 1 watt and in other cabinets. It really comes alive then. The Vintage gives more sizzle easily which is what I want. I'm looking for a bright broken up tone from the amp.

Very interesting. I do enjoy the Greenback a lot with both my 50th 1 watters. I haven’t played the Greenback pushed, but I’m sure it sounds even better pushing some serious air! I may have to checkout the Vintage at some point, and that new Creamback..

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Any SV20C or SC20C users able to chime in on the V-Type 10 inch? I noticed Celestion has rolled these out. What do these sound like? Also noticed Marshall is loading these into the new Studio, Classic and Jubilee 1x12 & 2x12 extension cabs. Anyone feel free to chime in about these.

Hey man, sorry for the late response. I've been rocking my SC20C, and still love this amp more and more each time that I play. I didn't overthink or overanalyze the fact that Marshall put in a 10 inch speaker, as Orange and Friedman both have put in 10 inch speakers in some of their smaller combo amps (Rocker 15 combo, Pink Taco, and Dirty Shirley mini combos, respectively). As I play the mini JCM800 combo more and more, I really like it. I play at home and don't have any unrealistic expectations. There isn't an overbearing boom down low, and I don't have shrill nasty highs. The stock V Type speaker is pretty good. And it can get really loud. The one time I had the JCM800 combo up to 3, I thought the police were going to pay me a visit. In other news, I actually like the Studio Classic and that 10 inch speaker more than the Friedman Runt with the Marshall 2061CX cab. Yes, I prefer 1 70 watt 10 inch speaker to two 30 watt 12 inch speakers.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Hey man, sorry for the late response. I've been rocking my SC20C, and still love this amp more and more each time that I play. I didn't overthink or overanalyze the fact that Marshall put in a 10 inch speaker, as Orange and Friedman both have put in 10 inch speakers in some of their smaller combo amps (Rocker 15 combo, Pink Taco, and Dirty Shirley mini combos, respectively). As I play the mini JCM800 combo more and more, I really like it. I play at home and don't have any unrealistic expectations. There isn't an overbearing boom down low, and I don't have shrill nasty highs. The stock V Type speaker is pretty good. And it can get really loud. The one time I had the JCM800 combo up to 3, I thought the police were going to pay me a visit. In other news, I actually like the Studio Classic and that 10 inch speaker more than the Friedman Runt with the Marshall 2061CX cab. Yes, I prefer 1 70 watt 10 inch speaker to two 30 watt 12 inch speakers.

Hey Ian, thanks for this reply! The Studio Classic looks awesome and I’m glad to hear from someone who owns the combo version! I’m thrilled to hear that you like the combo this much, and better than the Friedman! I love my JCM1C, and am a big fan of 10” speakers in small combos. That being said, I was on the hunt for a replacement for the G10F-15 that came stock in the amp and settled on a G10 Greenback, which is awesome, but I’m always on the lookout for something that may be better somehow.. I also have the same speaker in my 50th DSL1C and wonder if there’d be a better fit for this amp.

Thanks for this info and I’m glad the V-Type is working for you! I’m kind of an endless tinkerer searching for that “grail tone” as I’m sure many of us are. Sometimes I’d like to be a bit more of an “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” kind person.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Ian, thanks for this reply! The Studio Classic looks awesome and I’m glad to hear from someone who owns the combo version! I’m thrilled to hear that you like the combo this much, and better than the Friedman! I love my JCM1C, and am a big fan of 10” speakers in small combos. That being said, I was on the hunt for a replacement for the G10F-15 that came stock in the amp and settled on a G10 Greenback, which is awesome, but I’m always on the lookout for something that may be better somehow.. I also have the same speaker in my 50th DSL1C and wonder if there’d be a better fit for this amp.

Thanks for this info and I’m glad the V-Type is working for you! I’m kind of an endless tinkerer searching for that “grail tone” as I’m sure many of us are. Sometimes I’d like to be a bit more of an “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” kind person.

Maybe try the new Celestion 10” Creamback,...I don’t think they’re out yet though. Something to think about.

I used to play my Dsl1hr through the regular 12” Creamback and it sounded phenomenal!

If the 10” is anything like the 12”, your quest might be over, :hmm: (Oh,...but that’s half the fun, isn’t it?....well almost half) :)

blue

Reaction score
I have a JTM-1C, and I've always enjoyed it. It's a great little amp for playing at home, but I did always think it could sound better through better speakers. Now, for the last 6 years (since my son was born) I've had my early seventies Orange 4x12 in storage, along with all my other big amps. Having now moved house, I've got the 4x12 back in, and I finally got the chance at the weekend to match it up with the little JTM. Wow! They are a match made in heaven! It seems a little odd to have this tiny little amp coming through a great big speaker cab, but the sound is fabulous. And it allows the amp to really breath without killing small animals with volume, which normal 50 and 100 watt heads through that cab would do! I'm very pleased :)
This evening, I will be plugging my SL-5 into it. I'm smiling thinking of it...

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I have a JTM-1C, and I've always enjoyed it. It's a great little amp for playing at home, but I did always think it could sound better through better speakers. Now, for the last 6 years (since my son was born) I've had my early seventies Orange 4x12 in storage, along with all my other big amps. Having now moved house, I've got the 4x12 back in, and I finally got the chance at the weekend to match it up with the little JTM. Wow! They are a match made in heaven! It seems a little odd to have this tiny little amp coming through a great big speaker cab, but the sound is fabulous. And it allows the amp to really breath without killing small animals with volume, which normal 50 and 100 watt heads through that cab would do! I'm very pleased :)
This evening, I will be plugging my SL-5 into it. I'm smiling thinking of it...

Great to hear! They really open up with larger cabs! Does your Orange 4x12 have Greenbacks in it? G12H-30s?

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Great to hear! They really open up with larger cabs! Does your Orange 4x12 have Greenbacks in it? G12H-30s?

I’ve heard the older Greenbacks, namely with Pulsonic cones, sound incredible with the 1 watters (well.. probably with all amps, let’s face it). I’m quite happy with my 10” Greenback, but would love to try some older Greenbacks with with my 1 watt amps

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Scozz here beat me to the punch, but the Celestion Creamback 10 inch may be a viable option to consider as well once it comes out. I'm entertaining the notion of putting one in the Studio Classic Combo. My only concern is it being 45 watts, and how I run the amp. So basically clean= neck pickup volume down and bridge pickup on full whack. For home use, a 45 watt speaker may do me just fine, but a point to ponder. I remember having the Sweetwater DSL40C with the Creamback, and that was one sweet couple!

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
Scozz here beat me to the punch, but the Celestion Creamback 10 inch may be a viable option to consider as well once it comes out. I'm entertaining the notion of putting one in the Studio Classic Combo. My only concern is it being 45 watts, and how I run the amp. So basically clean= neck pickup volume down and bridge pickup on full whack. For home use, a 45 watt speaker may do me just fine, but a point to ponder. I remember having the Sweetwater DSL40C with the Creamback, and that was one sweet couple!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a 45 watt speaker would be fine, most definitely for home use. I would think you’d have to be playing really, really loud at home to be pushing all 20 watts of that amp.

What’s the V-type rated at?

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I think a 45 watt speaker would be fine, most definitely for home use. I would think you’d have to be playing really, really loud at home to be pushing all 20 watts of that amp.

What’s the V-type rated at?

The V-Type is rated at 50 watts, Creamback should be fine!

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
The V-Type is rated at 50 watts, Creamback should be fine!

I didn't realize that the 10 inch V-Type was rated at 50 watts. Still, the point remains as far as my personal preference, and that is one speaker that is more powerful than two lower wattage speakers.

That could also come from what I play as well. I have a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded with Seymour Duncan Slash pickups, but finally decided that I'm going to be putting my Motor City Afwayu pickups in and be good on that.

My tone/playing is somewhere between Adam Jones and Jerry Cantrell, and for me at least, the V-Type works well, but the Creamback could also work and end up being the Coup de grace as far as the tone chase for me goes.

jerkface

Reaction score
The only pedal I liked for boosting the Ultra channel is an Xotic EP Boost. Or just any clean boost but I like the EP best. It also sounds great into my DSL20HR and Mini Jubilee 2525H.

The Classic Gain Channel, the tried and true TS or Klone type worked best. It's just the circuit I guess.

I agree about the clean headroom on the 50th DSL1 and the Classic channel. Hard to get it to break up at all on its own.
I use tc spark works great.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TC spark boost is a great pedal, I have 2 of them, one set to Clean Boost and the Other one at Fat on the little switch
I've been thinking long and hard about getting the mini Spark to use as a straight boost and use my TC, (Big Boy), Spark on the FAT setting like you TC!

Do you also use a OD pedal stacked on top of the Sparks TC?

(Note: the letters TC used the last two times in this post is referencing @tce63 the person, not TC the company. LOL) :lol:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking long and hard about getting the mini Spark to use as a straight boost and use my TC, (Big Boy), Spark on the FAT setting like you TC!

Do you also use a OD pedal stacked on top of the Sparks TC?

(Note: the letters TC used the last two times in this post is referencing @tce63 the person, not TC the company. LOL) :lol:

With my Marshall amps, I only use the Spark Boost (sc20/sv20/JTM1) i don´t need more.
Playing in a Cover Band at the moment , Status, AC/DC and som CCR stuff, the Spark boost is all I need, just to push a little over the Edge.

With my Fender DR i Use a SD-1

// Tony

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@tce63,....I'd love to see your Custom Shop 1955 Gibson LP. Do you have any pics of it? Please, if you have any, post them here,.....no worries, this is my thread! LOL!

Also, do you use your Deluxe Reverb at gigs?

I was a big Fender guy when I was much younger, my first real amp was a 1965 Fender Champ, that was 1966 when I was 10 years old! When I started gigging in a real band I used a Fender Super Six Reverb. It was a behemoth of an amp. A 1971 Fender 100 watt, 6-10" combo!!

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to use a DR or a Vox AC At gigs, that was before I bought my first Marshall.
Vox AC I have sold, but my DR-71 is still here for sentimental reasons, however, it hasn't been turned on for a number of years.

My R5 or as it called Gibson 1955 Les Paul Custom Exclusives.

2020-01-31 10-23-12.jpg

Last edited: