Who Loves Their 1 Watt Marshall?

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J E H

Reaction score
I have the 1 watt tube amp -- orange colored -- I believe it is an 8 inch speaker. Good sounding amp. Totally cool. Good for recording with a mic in front. Quiet. Shhh. NOt too loud.......

DonP

Reaction score
That's completely depending on what era you prefer. I tend to play the JTM and JMP the most but till this day I don't have a favorite amongst the others. Any of them into a 1x12 at minimum with a matched speaker delivers the tone at a 1 watt volume. The JVM1 for example is a gain monster. The rhythm channel breaks up nice for a more classic rock tone. The 50th DSL1 on the classic gain channel has a lot of headroom. It won't break up with my vintage spec Stratocaster for example. I prefer the DSL1HR's ultra channel though. Distortion just sounds better to me on the new one. The JCM1 is a great plug and play. Even my Echoplex copy works well in front of it. Hell, i like them all which is why I've kept them.

I also have the Offset JTM1 and matching 1x10 cabinet. I swapped in an 8ohm Weber Blue Pup in it. Great bedroom blues sound from this.

Well, I think I've done good for my first choice. I'm an 80's Metal / Thrash Metal player. I have lots and lots of axes, but grabbed a Jackson SL2H for trying out this amp. Cab is a large sealed box with a V30. I like the way it chugs. I'm thinking JTM or JCM.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Well, I think I've done good for my first choice. I'm an 80's Metal / Thrash Metal player. I have lots and lots of axes, but grabbed a Jackson SL2H for trying out this amp. Cab is a large sealed box with a V30. I like the way it chugs. I'm thinking JTM or JCM.

You certainly did.
Just for thought, a JCM1 would be a good choice for those styles. A JMP can cover classic rock to Priest, Maiden, etc but i don't think my JTM1 would be my choice for anything thrash or 80s metal related. It's a 60s voiced amp and although it compliments the JMP quite well it is a different sound to the JMP. For your interests though i could see nothing wrong with you finding a JCM1 to pair with the DSL1HR.

JDavidAdrihan

Reaction score
Well I'll chime in here, I posted a while back on Halloween to be exact as a forum newbie asking opinions on the DSL1 bundle with the MX 1x12 speaker fro Sweetwater. I got more suggestions from folks to get a used SC20 and 2x12 or 4x12 cab then I did on the DSL1, so I looked for used ones and found 1 SC20 that was a good buy but missed it so then I tried to buy one from Thomann but they could not sell a Marshall to USA. I then spent a long time looking at other options like DSL 20 and 15 and Peavy small amps. I finally settled on the DSL1 and started to look at used 1960 cabs because folks on here said they could be had cheap. After watching some local Music Go Rounds and trying to dicker with them ( they have a couple and what $500 for them) not the price I wanted to pay. I thought long and hard about ordering the 4x12 Harley Benton from Thomann but the $131 dollars shipping turned me off. the 2X12 they sell was rated only as 8 Ohms and the DSL and my AC10 are only 16Ohm. I got impatient waiting so I called Sweetwater and scored the bundle for about $480 shipped to my door. I could not be happier. on the 1 watt setting it is plenty lound and I am sure the 15 or 20 watters would be too loud. When I hook my VOX AC10 up to the 12" seventy 80 it sounds incredible. The DSL sounds good enough that I can't see spending $100+ on a speaker replacement. However since then I found a used 4X10 that is a home made clone of the Marshall 1966 for $200 about an hour and a half away but i don't think I need anything more than the 1X12. I am running my computer backing tracks through a mixer into my PA and then Mic'ing the amp through that as well and having a great time being a basement wanker. Thanks to this forum for all the threads I looked up and info I learned. YOU GUYS ROCK.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Well I'll chime in here, I posted a while back on Halloween to be exact as a forum newbie asking opinions on the DSL1 bundle with the MX 1x12 speaker fro Sweetwater. I got more suggestions from folks to get a used SC20 and 2x12 or 4x12 cab then I did on the DSL1, so I looked for used ones and found 1 SC20 that was a good buy but missed it so then I tried to buy one from Thomann but they could not sell a Marshall to USA. I then spent a long time looking at other options like DSL 20 and 15 and Peavy small amps. I finally settled on the DSL1 and started to look at used 1960 cabs because folks on here said they could be had cheap. After watching some local Music Go Rounds and trying to dicker with them ( they have a couple and what $500 for them) not the price I wanted to pay. I thought long and hard about ordering the 4x12 Harley Benton from Thomann but the $131 dollars shipping turned me off. the 2X12 they sell was rated only as 8 Ohms and the DSL and my AC10 are only 16Ohm. I got impatient waiting so I called Sweetwater and scored the bundle for about $480 shipped to my door. I could not be happier. on the 1 watt setting it is plenty lound and I am sure the 15 or 20 watters would be too loud. When I hook my VOX AC10 up to the 12" seventy 80 it sounds incredible. The DSL sounds good enough that I can't see spending $100+ on a speaker replacement. However since then I found a used 4X10 that is a home made clone of the Marshall 1966 for $200 about an hour and a half away but i don't think I need anything more than the 1X12. I am running my computer backing tracks through a mixer into my PA and then Mic'ing the amp through that as well and having a great time being a basement wanker. Thanks to this forum for all the threads I looked up and info I learned. YOU GUYS ROCK.

I totally get what you're doing running the amp with a home PA setup and backing tracks. I've done that so many times with my 50th collection. Even multi amp setups.
As you know once everything is mixed this can be fairly loud. I thought a 1x12 was about right.

DonP

Reaction score
I've found I really like the DSL1HR going through the V30. I'm actually using the speaker in the combo of a Laney AOR 50 which is a sealed cab, but made of MDF. With this cab, "Will it Chug?" = YES.

I have a pine open back 1x12 loaded with a G12M-25, but I loose the thump and bottom end.

So far on day 2 very happy.

edit: Today a 4x10 cab came - a cheap Hartke brand GH410a - I don't know anything about them, but it sounds AWESOME with the DSL1HR. I was playing Megadeath and Metallica. Couldn't put the guitar down.

I absolutely LOVE this DSL1HR!

Last edited:

jerkface

Reaction score
i would but my speaker is way off to one side and not centered like it should be!! WTF???

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would but my speaker is way off to one side and not centered like it should be!! WTF???
Why is this such an issue for you? It's how this amp was made, and how a lot of combos are constructed.

jerkface

Reaction score
its an issue because its way off,not just a little! couldnt put bigger speaker in if so inclined.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found I really like the DSL1HR going through the V30. I'm actually using the speaker in the combo of a Laney AOR 50 which is a sealed cab, but made of MDF. With this cab, "Will it Chug?" = YES.
Nothing wrong with MDF.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
its an issue because its way off,not just a little! couldnt put bigger speaker in if so inclined.
The Dsl1c cab itself isn't big enough for a bigger speaker anyway is it?