Who makes the best Attenuator?

• Thread starter Stratm69
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

krabby5

Reaction score
At home, I use a Weber Micro Mass with my Tiny Terror on 7 watts, believe it or not. It works great, but that's a 7 watt amp. I have no idea how good attenuators work with 100 watt amps..at least to make them still sound good at low volumes. I can't imagine them working that great for that..especially when you're spending upwards of $500...yeeesh

I only spent $65 for the Weber.

lordrevan11

Reaction score
Even though marshall doesn't make the Power Brake PB100 anymore I would suggest that. I use it and it does pretty well. You can usually find them on ebay, but try craigslist first so you can see first hand how they work if you get to test it out. They are built like a TANK!

DenverRob

Reaction score
I'm gonna bump this old thread 'cuz I need something for my JCM800 2204 for playing at home or small bars. Love the 2204 but... well, y'all know how loud it is. :) I saw the Rivera Rockcrusher on Musiciansfriend.com, it's apparently new. Anybody have experience with it? The promotional video is pretty convincing.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I have the Doctor Z Airbrake. It is OK, but I was really dissapointed in the bedroom mode with my early 800. It just did not lower the volume to my expectations. I would have to agree with Rockbert, the PPIMV mod on my 1987x really works well. I would recommend the mod. Hey,my 200th post!!!

Assumer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the adjustable eminence speakers? (adjustable speaker efficiency) I read a review and they liked them but I have not read any real user reviews.

krabby5

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the adjustable eminence speakers? (adjustable speaker efficiency) I read a review and they liked them but I have not read any real user reviews.

I was wondering the same thing. I actually have an Eminence dealer in my city, so I may try one soon.

medicjg

Reaction score
I used to be in the attenuator camp then I went without and realized the good tone I had been missing...

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
While I've never used any other attenuator, I've found the Marshall Power Brake does the job well. This topic can divide people more than religion!!!!

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was using a THD Hotplate before getting the YJM & thought it worked great!
The only downside with them though is you have to get the correct OHM (I had 16 Blue) for your amp whereas I think some of the others available are switchable which may make more sense if you have more than one amp/OHM.

Brett Blackmore

Reaction score
Hi

I have Chrid 100w Power Soak which works great. I prefer it best when I just drop maybe 6db on the total volume in the rehearsal room - we are loud and this just helps get some mojo from the tubes.

The downside of going down further is that the tubes are distorting (go figure...) and if you usually have a distortion pedal on top then you can get a lot of flubby mud - and the reverb and echo sounds even in an fx-loop are suddenly crap.

Cheers - brett

Assumer

Reaction score
Here are some clips of the Eminence speakers with built in attenuation.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuDtJn2Vu-c]Eminence Reignmaker speaker demo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZUb6SkK2Wk]Eminence Reignmaker FDM Speaker demo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJP2PosH9fk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL832057380786DC62]Eminence FDM Reignmaker Speaker - YouTube[/ame]

Brad@RockVanEps

Reaction score
Hey, all!

I just picked up a '78 JMP 2204 with a matching 4x12 cab - I'm in love with the tone, but I need to lower the overall volume a bit for practice (and live shows too, just so I don't piss off the sound guy too much). I don't mind dropping cash on quality gear, but now that I've dropped a bunch of cash on the amp/cab, I can't afford to do the same on the attenuator - at least, not immediately. With gigs rapidly approaching (a few days away), I'm trying to get an attenuator that's the best bang for the buck, and easy to "dial in"... I'm familiar with HOW they work, generally speaking, but I've never used one before, so I'm in unfamiliar territory. What are your recommendations?

cybermgk

Reaction score
On those Eminance speakers how the heck do you switch them in a closed back CAB?

Goint to say the Bad Cat UNLeash has to be considered one of the best. Granted, it is so much more than an Attenuator Tried a Hotplate, Tried a Weber Mass (still an awesome bang for buck imho), and the Unleash wins hands down over those. Truly is transparent as an attenuator. The post output stage FX loop is just fantastic.

Brad@RockVanEps

Reaction score
On those Eminance speakers how the heck do you switch them in a closed back CAB?

Goint to say the Bad Cat UNLeash has to be considered one of the best. Granted, it is so much more than an Attenuator Tried a Hotplate, Tried a Weber Mass (still an awesome bang for buck imho), and the Unleash wins hands down over those. Truly is transparent as an attenuator. The post output stage FX loop is just fantastic.

Thanks!

Out of curiousity, does anyone make an attenuator that can handle two amps at once, and how good are they? I'm debating getting another old-school amp just for my clean channel.

cybermgk

Reaction score
Thanks!

Out of curiousity, does anyone make an attenuator that can handle two amps at once, and how good are they? I'm debating getting another old-school amp just for my clean channel.

My suggestion. Get something like the Radial Headbone, amp switcher. Run your git or pedal board to Headbone,headbone to and from amps, headbone out to attenuator, attenuator to CAB. This way you can run both amps. Amp not switched to gets a dummy load. Change amps with a footswitch.

John 14:6

Reaction score
Probably the Faustine Phantom, but the Rivera Rockcrusher does a great job for a lot less money. The EPA on my YJM100 will beat them both though.

rbehm

Reaction score
I agree here,I have run the gauntlet with attenuaters, Playing live the Rockcrusher is IMO the cream.However the EPA on the YJM is brilliant.
I just played an Arena gig and I am at a loss for words how that amp sounds,feels, and performs. I ran the EPA at 1:00 (100 watt mode)through 2-4x12 bottoms loaded with 25 watt Greenbacks... Heaven ,THE sounds and feel I could only dream of before. My back up was a 100w NMV Plexi with the Rockcrusher .