• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Whole band revolves around drummers schedule..

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Ask your drummer for a recommendation for a substitute. He might get the hint and try to help out, or bail.

hell he might know somebody to suggest even. cant be the best in his drummers circle.
well mabe but he has people he could suggest im sure.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP: your drummer clearly finds other things more important than the band. Is it other bands that he's playing in? Or is he just cavorting around with other buddies? Is it women? Is it his day job schedule?

Fwiw I like the suggestion someone made above about just coming right out and asking him if he knows a good sub. If he gives two shits he'll do something about it, if not maybe he will actually find you a good sub

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I think I figured it out a long time ago: drummers aren't really musicians. There's nothing most of 'em do that has anything to do with the 12 musical notes. Plus, they have ADD, which means they don't do well in school, and their moms slap them around for banging on the dinnerware. Drummers are into weight lifting, sports, fixing cars, making fart noises and scratching their khanks like Tool Man Tim. Not that there's anything wrong with all that of course, but I just thought I should add some perspective.

Gutch220

Reaction score
that's why it's hard to commit to multiple bands. Eventually, if things get serious, you (the general you) will need to commit to a single band. It sounds like you guys just do it for fun, so I'd recommend you find a new drummer and play MORE. you can be the best band in the world on paper, but if you never play, then does the tree make a sound in the woods?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The problem was the 2 different subs we tried who were highly recommended couldn't cut the mustard.
You got the right idea, keep digging until you find the right guy, or get a drum machine! :yesway:

Its not replacing your drummer which may upset the other guys, its starting a new band with the other guys and a new drummer, the old band stays intact but the new band fills in the gap when the drummer isnt available, thats what your current drummer is doing, he's the smart one he gigs all the time while the rest of you sit on your thumbs waiting for him!

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
I've learned a thing or tow. get another drummer on standby who can keep time and do it reasonably well, throughout the song. have them on standby. The enemy of perfect, is sitting home on your arse.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I've learned a thing or tow. get another drummer on standby who can keep time and do it reasonably well, throughout the song. have them on standby. The enemy of perfect, is sitting home on your arse.

Wait - you can switch a drummer on standby?

end user

Reaction score
Yeah he's in like 6 bands. I thought I was bad being in 3 but the other 2 I am in do hardly anything.

LiveeviL2000

Reaction score
I would talk to your drummer and see why he cant make it. Bring the issue to his attention and if he says he cant commit, then look for a drummer who can.
I know you said you tried that, and they didnt cut the mustard. But at least they are there serving the mustard.

end user

Reaction score
I would talk to your drummer and see why he cant make it. Bring the issue to his attention and if he says he cant commit, then look for a drummer who can.
I know you said you tried that, and they didnt cut the mustard. But at least they are there serving the mustard.

Oh we already know why. He's in 6 bands. My conundrum is I agreed to "deal with it" in order to work with the guy and now it's getting hard to "deal with it".

end user

Reaction score
That sucks but he probably can get away with it just like bass players can because they both seem to be in short supply and high demand or at least they are in my area?

Yep both are in very short supply. Matter of fact I have considered picking up bass guitar again. I used to do some bass gigs about 20 years ago for extra money.

Last edited: