• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

why do people hate BlackStar amps.

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Jack

Reaction score
I tested a friend’s ht5 years ago... Pure sh*t!
I mod it and now it sound good!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
roflmao. screw the combos. the mini heads are where its at.
thats where you will find the tones. HTR-1H is a killer little head
and is WORLDS different than the combo's.

end user

Reaction score
I had the HT5 Metal MKI for a spell. Ran it through a 2x12 of G12T-75's. It was pretty good for modern high gain metal stuff at reasonable volumes. I jammed with a couple bands with it and it was loud enough by itself. I sold it to my nephew for 100 bucks cos he didn't have much money and wanted a high gain amp that sounded good. He still has it and loves it.

Reaction score
Don't hate them, just think they're shit.
Big fat Marshall badge, four inputs, how hard can it be?

Reaction score
Why stop ?
Because sometimes if you don't stop you crash.
The more you deviate from the path of righteousness, the more lost you become.
I hope you find your way home.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol..I have 4 input, 2 input and single input Marshalls all over the place here, and I still dig my Little Blackstars..to say they're all shit is like saying all Fords are shit because you don't like Pintos.

Reaction score
Lol..I have 4 input, 2 input and single input Marshalls all over the place here, and I still dig my Little Blackstars..to say they're all shit is like saying all Fords are shit because you don't like Pintos.

It's more like saying I love Mustangs and hate anything made by Great Wall Motors or DongFeng car company.
Each to their own though.
You're living the dream over there anyway with 4,2 and 1 input Marshalls, good for you.

Reaction score
And if any Marshalls are made ' somewhere', then those amps aren't for me, but again each to their own.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Just thought of a useless feature from Blackstar, they have that ISF knob on every amp, totally useless it sounds best right in the middle, just like Orange has that shape knob to dial in terrible degrees of tone, useless feature why I dont care for those brands that much!

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree on the ISF knob thingy. Seems like someone thinks it's unique to the brand, and there's a need to put it on everything they make.

And it seems we have another pick and choose hater..voicing distain for things made "somewhere" while typing on a device made "somewhere".

You'd be hard pressed to find an amplifier made anywhere that's not full of components made "somewhere"

I too would love to buy nothing but things not made or made from components from "somewhere"..but in the world we live in it is virtually impossible.

Last edited:

Clayton Custom Cabs

Reaction score
Although I found the Artist series somewhat tempting, I've never owned a Blackstar because...
1. The controls look cheap to me, like a Peavey Vyper, etc.
2. The name and logo look like "marketing" bullshit.
3. I don't trust them due to #1 and #2.

Hmmm! Sorta like that cheap plastic Marshall logo that's constantly broken off the front of a 1960A?

Clayton Custom Cabs

Reaction score
Just thought of a useless feature from Blackstar, they have that ISF knob on every amp, totally useless it sounds best right in the middle, just like Orange has that shape knob to dial in terrible degrees of tone, useless feature why I dont care for those brands that much!

Funny you say that I find that goofy ISF tone stack is useless anywhere but full left.

Clayton Custom Cabs

Reaction score
I don’t hate them…

Never tried one…
Never heard one that I know of…
I never even seen one in person…

since almost all local music stores have closed and sales have moved to the internet. I can not just go into a store and test one. Would be fun.

But I won’t order a Blackstar on the net just to test it, since I already have many amps that I like.

plexi

Don't know where you live but in my hood we've got lot's of locally owned and operated music stores alive and well...thanks to the internet. In Seattle: Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar, Thunder Road and the ever present Emerald City Guitars. Then there is Dusty Strings and American Music and A# Music. May I suggest a move to our lovely city?

pleximaster

Reaction score
Don't know where you live but in my hood we've got lot's of locally owned and operated music stores alive and well...thanks to the internet. In Seattle: Mike & Mike's Guitar Bar, Thunder Road and the ever present Emerald City Guitars. Then there is Dusty Strings and American Music and A# Music. May I suggest a move to our lovely city?

Thanks Clayton for the invitation to move to Seattle (i used to travel a bit in the US but never came to Seattle)

I live in Sweden Europe so moving that far with the family might be a bit over the top just to test Blackstar amps… :)

end user

Reaction score
I have to agree on the ISF knob thingy. Seems like someone thinks it's unique to the brand, and there's a need to put it on everything they make.

And it seems we have another pick and choose hater..voicing distain for things made "somewhere" while typing on a device made "somewhere".

You'd be hard pressed to find an amplifier made anywhere that's not full of components made "somewhere"

I too would love to buy nothing but things not made or made from components from "somewhere"..but in the world we live in it is virtually impossible.

Yeah I don't begrudge anyone who have to own British Made Marshalls only, so long as they don't cut me down for loving my DSL's. Typically though some of the ones who own the British Made stuff are convinced that not only are the amps they own superior, but they as people are too because of it.

I am a bang for the buck guy. Yes I can afford any of the British made stuff, but the DSL's just do it for me. I am not a collector so why would I pay a lot more for something that could just maybe do 5% better at what I want from an amp? I have played through so many Marshalls through the years. I know what all the so called "iconic" Marshalls can do.

I couldn't care less if my gear is made in America, Europe or on Jupiter.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't begrudge anyone who have to own British Made Marshalls only, so long as they don't cut me down for loving my DSL's. Typically though some of the ones who own the British Made stuff are convinced that not only are the amps they own superior, but they as people are too because of it.

I am a bang for the buck guy. Yes I can afford any of the British made stuff, but the DSL's just do it for me. I am not a collector so why would I pay a lot more for something that could just maybe do 5% better at what I want from an amp? I have played through so many Marshalls through the years. I know what all the so called "iconic" Marshalls can do.

I couldn't care less if my gear is made in America, Europe or on Jupiter.
Yea I have Marshalls made in England, India, China, Vietnam and I have kept what I have for a reason, and that reason doesn't hinge on where they were made. For example I have a JMD1 50w head, tube poweramp with a digital modeling preamp. Awesome amp, so many great tones available. Made in China. Same thing with the Haze15 head I have..clean boost the front end and it sounds very similar to a little jcm800..made in India.

I'd like to see one of these guys who are so sensitive to where an amps assembled at do a blindfolded listen and pick out the made "somewhere" amps..