Why does my JVM-205H hate me?

• Thread starter RR4guitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RR4guitar

Reaction score
I finally got a Marshall JVM 205H that I love. Perfect tones for hard rock/metal. However, I do like effects and I am in a band that is getting ready to gig and my volume isn’t consistent enough for the guys and their in-ear devices. Based on what channel I am using, I need to ride effects levels and that is not practical for a band that wants to move through the setlist with military precision. I recently bought an HX Effects board and set up snapshots to use with the amp, but the effects loop seems to hate it and it throttles sound. If you turn up volume to make that loud enough, when the effects loop goes off all sorts of aural chaos ensues.

I am thinking of using a minimalist approach now. Guitar - tuner - Tube Screamer (for lead boost or to compensate for weak ass pickups in my HSS Fender Stratocaster vs my other guitars) - amp. Passive volume pedal in the effects loop. Play on the OD channel all day (no real need for clean sounds in our set atm).

What say you? I need your sage wisdom!

HFloyd

Reaction score
I've never had that behaviour out of the FX Loop. I can't figure out off the top of my head if that's an issue with it running in Series OR Parallel...but whcihever mode it is set to, try the other one?

spacerocker

Reaction score
I can't explain the behaviour you are seeing with the effects loop - but I would set it up with FX mix 100%, use -10dB on the level (push button) and set it up from there...

I use a G-major in the loop (controlled by my MIDI foot controller which also changes amp channels) I set the output level on the G-Major so that there is no volume change when it is switched in or out...

If the "chaos" happens when you switch the loop out, why not leave it in all the time, with "blank" or Dummy effects patches? That's what I did on my JVM410H (I have the HJS version now), and on the "dummy" patches I used just the noise gate to keep things quiet...

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I think that it's probably a "levels" parameter issue that needs to be addressed. Luckly, there's several ways the situation due to the versatility of the amp and the versatility of parameters on most modern pedals, multi-effects, and racks.

First step is to get your effects levels settings worked out; this may take a little time depending on what type effects you're using.

Second step is decided if you're going to play through the effects loop all the time. Some people like playing through the effects loop all the time because it keeps the sound consistent and is a little easier and quicker to setup for play; in this case, all they're doing is just switching effects on/off in some manner. If you are going to switch effects loop on/off, you'll probably need to first get all your channel volumes balance, then adjust the effects loop mix control and effects level to get as close as balanced as possible, then you can fine tune the levels using your effects pedal's level parameter/control knob.

I use a multi-effects system with built-in MIDI, which cuts down on a lot of stomping on different devices. I usually play through the effects loop all the time. Because I already worked out the levels on my multi-effects and the JVM, setup for playing is very fast and easy. The only minor adjustment to levels is at the master volume of the multi-effects system, but that's very infrequent.

RR4guitar

Reaction score
I can't explain the behaviour you are seeing with the effects loop - but I would set it up with FX mix 100%, use -10dB on the level (push button) and set it up from there...

I use a G-major in the loop (controlled by my MIDI foot controller which also changes amp channels) I set the output level on the G-Major so that there is no volume change when it is switched in or out...

If the "chaos" happens when you switch the loop out, why not leave it in all the time, with "blank" or Dummy effects patches? That's what I did on my JVM410H (I have the HJS version now), and on the "dummy" patches I used just the noise gate to keep things quiet...
HX Effects doesnt have a master volume to increase output level. I wish it did .

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi @RR4guitar and welcome to the MF :welcome:

If there is no Global Output Level adjustment, then that's just stupid!

The HX Effects manual has Global Settings on p.38.
They seem to suggest there is a Global Output Level setting, but it doesn't specifically say you can adjust it.
The emphasis seems more on changing between Inst(rument) or Line level settings.
Could just be badly worded.
Can you investigate this and see if there is a Volume Level adjustment.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I run my 205C in 4CM with a Fractal FM9. First off, I use the insert instead of the loop. Second, I have assigned a Scene to each amp channel (Scenes in Fractal are similar to Line6 Snapshots). Lastly, I balance the levels for each amp channel in the FM9, using the levels in the FM9 loop. This works perfectly.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Effect loop issues were one of many reasons I ditched my JVM410H.

See my thread HERE.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I finally got a Marshall JVM 205H that I love. Perfect tones for hard rock/metal. However, I do like effects and I am in a band that is getting ready to gig and my volume isn’t consistent enough for the guys and their in-ear devices. Based on what channel I am using, I need to ride effects levels and that is not practical for a band that wants to move through the setlist with military precision. I recently bought an HX Effects board and set up snapshots to use with the amp, but the effects loop seems to hate it and it throttles sound. If you turn up volume to make that loud enough, when the effects loop goes off all sorts of aural chaos ensues.

I am thinking of using a minimalist approach now. Guitar - tuner - Tube Screamer (for lead boost or to compensate for weak ass pickups in my HSS Fender Stratocaster vs my other guitars) - amp. Passive volume pedal in the effects loop. Play on the OD channel all day (no real need for clean sounds in our set atm).

What say you? I need your sage wisdom!
Keep the effects loop always on and switch your effects on and off from your effects pedal. I have a Zoom G3Xn in my loop setup with 3 patches, reverb on all, chorus on the 2nd and delay on the 3rd, volume cut in half on the 1st and 2nd for rhythm and the 3rd is my lead volume boost. If you need a patch with no effects keep a blank patch in the mix. We have an in-ear system also and this works very well. Good luck with it, let us know how you make out, and welcome to the forum!

Another thought, is it a tube driven loop? Replace the tube and see what happens.

Last edited:

thesunship

Reaction score
Also consider a used boss ms-3 or es-5 where setting global level and eq is easy. You can even put the HX in the loop of the ms-3, and control the HX via midi from the ms-3. The ms-3 could then be wired with the 4 cable method into the jvm.

Kendall124

Reaction score
Are you running amps or cabs in your snapshots?
I use a helix rack in the effects loop of my DSL (que the DSL video).
I only use it for effects. No amps or cabs.
I have tried to run my regular snapshots (amps annd cabs) into just the return of the effects loop, bypassing the preamp altogether. Sounds great, but if I’m playing with another guitar player, I get buried.
Also, i’ve placed a volume patch at the end of each snapshot. That helps me to set levels when switching in between snapshots.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Hi @RR4guitar and welcome to the MF :welcome:

If there is no Global Output Level adjustment, then that's just stupid!

The HX Effects manual has Global Settings on p.38.
They seem to suggest there is a Global Output Level setting, but it doesn't specifically say you can adjust it.
The emphasis seems more on changing between Inst(rument) or Line level settings.
Could just be badly worded.
Can you investigate this and see if there is a Volume Level adjustment.

It has wet/dry control. It's a parallel loop I believe. Mine's quiet, no problems.

RR4guitar

Reaction score
Along with a band mate, I solved the problem. In the HX effects, when you create a preset you can add a block called “FX Loop 1.” By Googling, I found someone saying this would fix the problem when hooking up to a Marshall. It worked. It takes away one of the 9 blocks available for any given preset on the HX Effects, but it is the answer. I saw zero references to this in any video tutorial I had viewed. I suppose the FX Loop 1 creates a line signal the Marshall effects loop needs.