• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Why is the JCM 800 such a "great" amp?

• Thread starter dinkyguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
sitting on a surfin' board, when given a choice
Back in '97, when I bought my first, current, and last Marshall, I didn't even know it was a "Metal Amp", let alone that it was THE "Metal Amp". (Of its time, anyway.) I just played the guy's LP through it and knew right away that I liked it. The fact that I picked it up for $300 was pretty sweet, too.
;)

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
NMV plexi amps were designed to take more than one instrument at a time (without both instruments in phase with each other) hence the extra tube gain stage available. So it was the logical next step in cascading it and making it a single MV channel amp.
Why were the Plexi amps great? Cause Leo Fender nailled the right filtering frequency values for a great guitar tone. Devine inspiration, creative genius?
It was the birth of the amplified electric guitar and the foundation for correct filtering values was established. JM improvised on that formula with what tubes was available and the rest was up to players to nail it to the cross.

knievel

Reaction score
Just checked back on this thread. Sorry, didn't mean to get anyones horizontal input panties in a bunch, that wasn't the point at all. All I was trying to get across is that was right when some major changes are happening. That does bring up a similar point though, even in that run they switched mounting the inputs and tube sockets on the board instead of flying leads to simplify and lessen the expense of production.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
"panties in a bunch"... really? Where do you get your info? No panties here.
2iu2a20.jpg

See any sockets mounted on a board in my '84 JCM 800? Horizontal input.

There are threads here covering all that by respected techs and folks that collect, which you might find interesting. This one is about 'Why is the JCM 800 such a "great" amp?'

The real answer lies in the miraculous event involving Jim Marshall, when suddenly the clouds parted and a divine light shown upon him followed by a great voice that said, "If you build it, she will come." The rest is Rock'n'Roll history. :D

aro

Reaction score
The 800 can be very flexible. They won't do everything, but they'll do a lot. And the low input is very underrated.

I had a 2203 from '83 and was using it with an attenuator and the master always on 8. Playing with the guitar volume, and/or the amp's preamp gain (between songs) gives you lots of different tones.

I sold it and now I have a 2204 clone. I added an extra gain stage, which has its own gain pot and is activated by a switch. With the extra stage on, I have tons of gain. With it off, I'm stock. Through low input, I'm almost clean. Playing with the guitar volume and the gain pots gives me everything that I need.

mike mike

Reaction score
So wait, then you're gonna look at my input jacks? :lol:

I think we got the 80's backline thing covered anyway...

atsb00004.jpg

i wish i had gigs where i could even get closes to as loud as i'm sure you got there

CrispyTone

Reaction score
There's nothing like a cranked JCM 800. To me it sounds like Edward Van Halen live circa 1982. Thats what the brown sound it to me.