Plexi Owners vs. JCM800 Owners. Why are you correct?

• Thread starter HFloyd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Plexi for that sound... that feel. When I need versatility, faster tracking for modern heavier styles, and the ability to do other genres I feel like other brands do that better than a JCM800.

Frank Araneo

Reaction score
I'm fortunate to "need" both! I'm in a southern rock tribute band (mostly Allmans, Skynyrd, Hatchet, etc..), for which my SV20 combo is perfect. I usually plug in to the high bright channel and bridge to the high normal channel. My other band is (mostly) 70's and 80's dance music, for which my '86 4010 combo is well-suited. This amp covers lots of ground. The "clean" channel is easy to dial in a driven plexi-ish sound, while the drive channel is pure 80's. I typically run the gain about half-way for a nice thick though articulate crunch. Very flexible amp with a damn good spring reverb to boot. I always run both amps through a Tone King Iron Man II attenuator, because after all, those power tubes NEED to be in the sweet spot. :) We play in smaller clubs & bars to an older crowd, so attenuation is a must.

I also own a '76 JMP 1987 and a '79 JMP 2204, both of which sound great. But I find they're at their best without attenuation - perfect for a dose of pure Marshall high-volume bliss!

Rodical

Reaction score
Both amps are a 1st choice, growing up in the 60s and 70s, there was leaps and bounds of music and Marshall... Shifting gears going into the 80s, was a different power behind the music... Buy either one with confidence...

Latest posts