• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Will the DSL1h with an mx2x12 or mx4x12 do for me?

Reaction score
Hi all,

long time lurker first time poster (finally registered). I have been a professional drummer since 1996 but for the past 15 years I’ve been managing Symphony orchestras. Over this time I’ve had an interest in dabbling on guitar (as many drummers do I’m sure).

Recently I decided to go back and learn properly (always finger picked only and wanted to finally learn how to use a pick), my son has also begun to learn so thought it would be fun to do it together.

Currently I play through a Marshall code 50 but to be honest the sound/tone just isn’t right for me. It’s very versatile in that it can kind of make sounds similar to lots of amps but none are really good enough to my ear. I own a 2005 Gibson Les Paul standard faded but am in the process of changing the burst bucket pros to the current slash alnico pro 2’s (I found the burst bucker pros, particularly the bridge pickup a bit nasally and am trying to get a warmer tone which these pickups seem to get from what I’ve read and heard).

Here is my question, as an 80’s kid I grew up listening to Guns N’ Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, nirvana and green day but also love Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, queen, the eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others (mostly rock).

As I play at home I need an amp that can be quieter when needed but with a full sound. Obviously I would like to find an amp that is versatile to get me tones that can sound reasonable enough to play music from the above. I love the warmer, mellow tones that I hear from Slash in songs like November rain and estranged as well as Plex ish AC/DC sounds.

I also really would love a head and cab combo all tube amp. I love the sound of a jubilee studio from what I’ve heard but also love the studio vintage. They are hard to find here in Australia at present. I’m wondering if I got a dsl1h or 20h with an mx2x12 or mx4x12 whether that might get me enough variety to be happy enough with the sounds.

any thoughts, opinions welcome.

mostly I want to learn songs and be able to play along to the recordings at home and have it sound like it fits ok in the mix. Doesn’t have to be perfect obviously but like the idea of a versatile amp if that even exists lol.

thanks for any help,

Greg

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

long time lurker first time poster (finally registered). I have been a professional drummer since 1996 but for the past 15 years I’ve been managing Symphony orchestras. Over this time I’ve had an interest in dabbling on guitar (as many drummers do I’m sure).

Recently I decided to go back and learn properly (always finger picked only and wanted to finally learn how to use a pick), my son has also begun to learn so thought it would be fun to do it together.

Currently I play through a Marshall code 50 but to be honest the sound/tone just isn’t right for me. It’s very versatile in that it can kind of make sounds similar to lots of amps but none are really good enough to my ear. I own a 2005 Gibson Les Paul standard faded but am in the process of changing the burst bucket pros to the current slash alnico pro 2’s (I found the burst bucker pros, particularly the bridge pickup a bit nasally and am trying to get a warmer tone which these pickups seem to get from what I’ve read and heard).

Here is my question, as an 80’s kid I grew up listening to Guns N’ Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, nirvana and green day but also love Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, queen, the eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others (mostly rock).

As I play at home I need an amp that can be quieter when needed but with a full sound. Obviously I would like to find an amp that is versatile to get me tones that can sound reasonable enough to play music from the above. I love the warmer, mellow tones that I hear from Slash in songs like November rain and estranged as well as Plex ish AC/DC sounds.

I also really would love a head and cab combo all tube amp. I love the sound of a jubilee studio from what I’ve heard but also love the studio vintage. They are hard to find here in Australia at present. I’m wondering if I got a dsl1h or 20h with an mx2x12 or mx4x12 whether that might get me enough variety to be happy enough with the sounds.

mostly I want to learn songs and be able to play along to the recordings at home and have it sound like it fits ok in the mix. Doesn’t have to be perfect obviously but like the idea of a versatile amp if that even exists lol.

thanks for any help,

Greg
Well buddy
:cheers:
:welcome:
To the forum
I have to believe that the amp you mentioned with the 2-12 cab will get you quite a bit of the tones you mentioned.
And will be easy on the wallet !!
Cheers
Mitch

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
yeah 1 watt & 2x12 is a decent mix...

IMO, 4x12 is too much.

You might want to change the speakers in the MX212. I'm not sure what it will have in it, but a pair of greenbacks would do it nice...

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome Mitch, from what I’ve read the amp does seem to be a nice cheaper option that seems to have quite a bit of versatility, and I figure you can always augment the sound with the right pedals added to the mix, appreciate your reply.

cheers, Greg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

thanks for any help,

Greg
If you can get the DSL20H & MX212, I would recommend that over the DSL1H.
I've had both, and I moved the 1H to a new home with another MF member after I had the 20H for a while.
Way more versatile, and will play at any volume, so don't shy away from the 20 watts.

Reaction score
yeah 1 watt & 2x12 is a decent mix...

IMO, 4x12 is too much.

You might want to change the speakers in the MX212. I'm not sure what it will have in it, but a pair of greenbacks would do it nice...

Thanks mate,

I kind of figured the McClay series might be a nice cheaper option that I could then upgrade with better speakers, I have a local shop that could do that so will definitely keep that in mind if I go with the purchase. Unfortunately there don’t seem to be many second hand options where I live as I’m in Tasmania, Australia so the little island at the bottom of Australia.

cheers, Greg

Reaction score
If you can get the DSL20H & MX212, I would recommend that over the DSL1H.
I've had both, and I moved the 1H to a new home with another MF member after I had the 20H for a while.
Way more versatile, and will play at any volume, so don't shy away from the 20 watts.

Thanks,

At present every shop seems to be out of the 20watt heads here in Australia. My local has a 1watt and 100watt head and pretty much all the other shops in Australia have the same options. Would a 100w through a 2x12 using an attenuator to reduce volume be ridiculous for home use? I’m happy to spend more to get a nicer sound, my limitations are mostly in what’s currently available unfortunately.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

At present every shop seems to be out of the 20watt heads here in Australia. My local has a 1watt and 100watt head and pretty much all the other shops in Australia have the same options. Would a 100w through a 2x12 using an attenuator to reduce volume be ridiculous for home use? I’m happy to spend more to get a nicer sound, my limitations are mostly in what’s currently available unfortunately.
No attenuator is needed on any DSL.
Gain is all from the preamp stage.
The channel volumes give you great tone at any volume.
Loud is always better, but not required.
A 100H on a 212H or a 412 would be a killer rig for home use.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

The Dsl 100HR is a fantastic amp and you would not really need an attenuater, because they can get great low volume tones.
Mitch

Reaction score
Thanks all, so the dsl100h head seems like the better option regardless of not needing the full 100w power but that either way it would be better sounding than the lower watt even at lower volume.

the dsl100h at my local is I believe the original version, not the r version, does that matter in the grand scheme of things?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, so the dsl100h head seems like the better option regardless of not needing the full 100w power but that either way it would be better sounding than the lower watt even at lower volume.

the dsl100h at my local is I believe the original version, not the r version, does that matter in the grand scheme of things?
In my opinion,,, I liked the tone of the H better, because I am more familiar with it.
As I am still a proud owner of a pair of Dsl40c’s ..
Cheers
Mitch

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there were 3 versions.
Original DSL100H
JCM2000 DSL100
DSL100HR
They have different features, but I only have experience with the 1H & 20H.
Manuals are easy to download from the internet if you want to compare.
But if it's what's available, it's what's available...

GregM

Reaction score
Alot of retailers leave out the r here ( maybe everywhere) not sure why.Derringers kept calling my Lil dsl5cr a dsl5c even on the invoice, when infact it is the cr model.

Reaction score
In hobart I only have 1 shop that sell Marshall’s, both the dsl1h and dsl100h they have are definitely not the r versions based on what I’ve seen. Currently the only Marshall head options I have are the dsl1h or the dsl100h. They only have the mx line of cabs available in either 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12.

mother than that they have Marshall codes (I already have a 25 and 50 of those), dsl1c, dsl20c, lots of mg models, origin5c, origin20c and that’s it.

online in Australia it seemed most shops have basically the same in stock and the ones I’ve contacted are backordered, one is expecting a delivery in September that probably won’t fill the current back orders then nothing until 2022.

if anyone in Australia knows of a shop that ships and has stock I’d be interested or if anyone in Australia have any good 20w heads available that would be great. My preference is head with cab (2x12 or 4x12) but it’s hard to find stock at present.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In hobart I only have 1 shop that sell Marshall’s, both the dsl1h and dsl100h they have are definitely not the r versions based on what I’ve seen. Currently the only Marshall head options I have are the dsl1h or the dsl100h. They only have the mx line of cabs available in either 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12.

mother than that they have Marshall codes (I already have a 25 and 50 of those), dsl1c, dsl20c, lots of mg models, origin5c, origin20c and that’s it.

online in Australia it seemed most shops have basically the same in stock and the ones I’ve contacted are backordered, one is expecting a delivery in September that probably won’t fill the current back orders then nothing until 2022.

if anyone in Australia knows of a shop that ships and has stock I’d be interested or if anyone in Australia have any good 20w heads available that would be great. My preference is head with cab (2x12 or 4x12) but it’s hard to find stock at present.

Suggestion for you:
DSL20C on an MX112 as an extension cab would give you a cool little mini stack.
Basically the same set up (amp/speakers) as my DSL20H & 2~MX112's (or a 212A).
It would look very similar to my 6101 & 6912 (same size, less knobs).
6101-6912.jpg
Perfect size for your living room, and an easy grab-n-go if you need to take it anywhere.

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The DSL100HR will give you two assignable Master Volumes that the H version doesn't have.
They will give you far more fine control over the overall volume of the amp.
Plus you can scale the volumes of the Classic and Ultra modes together, rather than having to reset them to match if you want to increase or decrease the overall volume of the amp.

The volume discrepancy between the Clean and the (louder) Crunch modes of the HR version is less than the H.
The discrepancy can be eliminated altogether using the assignable MVs on the HR.
e.g. Clean = Green MV: Crunch, OD1, OD2 = Red MV.

The shared EQ of the HR works better across the channel modes.

There is no need for clipping the 'Bright' capacitor on the HR, as many find they have to do to tame the treble of the H.

BTW All this goes for the DSL40CR combo too, unless 'head & cab' is a must.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

found a vintage guitar shop that had a 2003 Marshall TSL 100 JCM2000 Triple Super Lead, with foot switch for AU$1,000 (approximately US$735).

would that be a better option than the dsl’s?

cheers,

Greg