• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Will the DSL1h with an mx2x12 or mx4x12 do for me?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hi all,

long time lurker first time poster (finally registered). I have been a professional drummer since 1996 but for the past 15 years I’ve been managing Symphony orchestras. Over this time I’ve had an interest in dabbling on guitar (as many drummers do I’m sure).

Recently I decided to go back and learn properly (always finger picked only and wanted to finally learn how to use a pick), my son has also begun to learn so thought it would be fun to do it together.

Currently I play through a Marshall code 50 but to be honest the sound/tone just isn’t right for me. It’s very versatile in that it can kind of make sounds similar to lots of amps but none are really good enough to my ear. I own a 2005 Gibson Les Paul standard faded but am in the process of changing the burst bucket pros to the current slash alnico pro 2’s (I found the burst bucker pros, particularly the bridge pickup a bit nasally and am trying to get a warmer tone which these pickups seem to get from what I’ve read and heard).

Here is my question, as an 80’s kid I grew up listening to Guns N’ Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, nirvana and green day but also love Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, queen, the eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others (mostly rock).

As I play at home I need an amp that can be quieter when needed but with a full sound. Obviously I would like to find an amp that is versatile to get me tones that can sound reasonable enough to play music from the above. I love the warmer, mellow tones that I hear from Slash in songs like November rain and estranged as well as Plex ish AC/DC sounds.

I also really would love a head and cab combo all tube amp. I love the sound of a jubilee studio from what I’ve heard but also love the studio vintage. They are hard to find here in Australia at present. I’m wondering if I got a dsl1h or 20h with an mx2x12 or mx4x12 whether that might get me enough variety to be happy enough with the sounds.

any thoughts, opinions welcome.

mostly I want to learn songs and be able to play along to the recordings at home and have it sound like it fits ok in the mix. Doesn’t have to be perfect obviously but like the idea of a versatile amp if that even exists lol.

thanks for any help,

Greg
Im thinking you should get the 20 watt Jube and the matching 2x12 cab or a 2x12 of greenbacks. Unless its in your budget to get the full sized Jube.

But if DSL is all you got available where you are always go for the bigger one. That TSL if its in good shape sounds pretty good too. Good luck with your search and welcome! :yesway:

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
if you get the 100, get the HR. If you get that, I'd get a 412 cab...

You can turn the DSL100 down all you want & it'll sound decent. It sounds better cranked, but, it'll sound good enough at low volumes.

IMO, it'll sound better at 1 watt, than the 1 watt, or at 20 watts, than the 20 watt...

Not that they won't have their certain advantages at some point, but, the 100 watter will sound fatter at low volume.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
why is that?
because they were made faulty, & last year, they stopped making the mother board, & other boards, so, if it fails, you're SOOL...

&... it's not a question of "if", but when...

Even the later revision/updated ones are riddled w/ problems.

Once something goes bad, something else will, then something else, then something else.

All the money spent on just getting it back to subpar, you could have bought a JVM, or a plexi...

Markfresh

Reaction score
Hi,
Im from Australia, i am also a drummer that dabbles in guitar :p.
I own the Dsl1h and its great for those styles of music, i play rock/punk (badly).As stated the Dsl20h is a step up, but not really necessary for home , i mostly play the dsl1h in my back room thru a origin 4x12 plenty enough volume.
And yes the Dsl20h can be played at low volumes, but the DSl1h is plenty loud, i turn it down to 0.1 watt setting at night when the fam is asleep and can here is fine on 9 o'clock volume but still have to close the door.

Also after a search this shop lets me put a Dsl20 in my cart so looks like they have them http://www.guitarfactory.com.au/Amps/Marshall/Guitar_Amp/DSL/dsl20hr,
Also here https://www.eastgatemusic.com.au/product/marshall-dsl-20h-guitar-amp-head/
Also her 2 in stock https://colemansmusic.com.au/product/marshall-dsl20h-20-watt-valve-head/

Reaction score
Guitar factory had a bunch of stuff listed as available including the studio jubilee but when I contacted them direct they didn’t have much at all, they let you order in the site then check with their supplier for stock so the stuff listed on the site isn’t necessarily in stock at their shop or warehouse.

after testing everything available to me I ended up getting the TSL 100 (before I saw the post suggesting not to), i just really liked the sound and versatility of it.

interestingly the dsl100 was the r version even though the website pic was the older version.

thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, fingers crossed the TSL keeps working for me as I’m really enjoying it a lot.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Guitar factory had a bunch of stuff listed as available including the studio jubilee but when I contacted them direct they didn’t have much at all, they let you order in the site then check with their supplier for stock so the stuff listed on the site isn’t necessarily in stock at their shop or warehouse.

after testing everything available to me I ended up getting the TSL 100 (before I saw the post suggesting not to), i just really liked the sound and versatility of it.

interestingly the dsl100 was the r version even though the website pic was the older version.

thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, fingers crossed the TSL keeps working for me as I’m really enjoying it a lot.
Congratulations on your new amp

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Awesome congrats! :yesway:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
because they were made faulty, & last year, they stopped making the mother board, & other boards, so, if it fails, you're SOOL.....
Interesting, I use SOL,…

Must be a different area of the country thing! :D

Sorry, :rolleyes: carry on,…

Gordon Rankin

Reaction score
Greg,
Also a drummer since I was 12, been playing guitar for the last 20 years started when I was asked to build a guitar amp for a friend.
I have the DSL1H dual channel and have it plugged into a 1x12 15ohm Celestion Blue right now. First problem is it's a bit noisey compared to some of my amps. Max out that I tested (as I have a problem with the foot switch interface for channel switching) is just over 1.2W with 16ohm resistor. You can probably get as much as 1.6W using an 8 ohm load so 2x12 16 ohms each in parallel and that would give you a max output of about 112dB (depending on the speakers you choose).
I would not think that would be loud enough over drums.
You would be better off with like a 12-18W unit. During covid I made a bunch of 3W combos but now that things are opening up those same people want 12-18W combos with 10 or 12" speakers.
Thanks,
Gordon

Reaction score
Q. "Will the DSL1h ... do for me?
A. "I ended up getting the TSL 100"

You're going to fit right in here...

hahaha, I’ll take that as a compliment. Hearing the lower watt amps they just didn’t have enough body in the sound to my ears (mind you I’m probably going dead from too many years playing drums in bands plus playing percussion in orchestras which can be equally as loud).

As soon as I plugged into the TSL 100 with a 412 cab it just sounded so much fuller and better to me even at low volumes. Plus side is I can now play with a band on the same amp if I need to so that’s always a bonus. I’m very happy, just hope it doesn’t crash like some have suggested it might but at least I now know I can safely go a 100 watt amp as long as it can be used in low volume or turning the speaker down using an attenuator, seems I prefer a bigger amp sound, no surprises there.

DonP

Reaction score
Hi all,

long time lurker first time poster (finally registered). I have been a professional drummer since 1996 but for the past 15 years I’ve been managing Symphony orchestras. Over this time I’ve had an interest in dabbling on guitar (as many drummers do I’m sure).

Recently I decided to go back and learn properly (always finger picked only and wanted to finally learn how to use a pick), my son has also begun to learn so thought it would be fun to do it together.

Currently I play through a Marshall code 50 but to be honest the sound/tone just isn’t right for me. It’s very versatile in that it can kind of make sounds similar to lots of amps but none are really good enough to my ear. I own a 2005 Gibson Les Paul standard faded but am in the process of changing the burst bucket pros to the current slash alnico pro 2’s (I found the burst bucker pros, particularly the bridge pickup a bit nasally and am trying to get a warmer tone which these pickups seem to get from what I’ve read and heard).

Here is my question, as an 80’s kid I grew up listening to Guns N’ Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, nirvana and green day but also love Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, queen, the eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others (mostly rock).

As I play at home I need an amp that can be quieter when needed but with a full sound. Obviously I would like to find an amp that is versatile to get me tones that can sound reasonable enough to play music from the above. I love the warmer, mellow tones that I hear from Slash in songs like November rain and estranged as well as Plex ish AC/DC sounds.

I also really would love a head and cab combo all tube amp. I love the sound of a jubilee studio from what I’ve heard but also love the studio vintage. They are hard to find here in Australia at present. I’m wondering if I got a dsl1h or 20h with an mx2x12 or mx4x12 whether that might get me enough variety to be happy enough with the sounds.

any thoughts, opinions welcome.

mostly I want to learn songs and be able to play along to the recordings at home and have it sound like it fits ok in the mix. Doesn’t have to be perfect obviously but like the idea of a versatile amp if that even exists lol.

thanks for any help,

Greg

I play pretty much the same stuff and the DSL1HR with a 4x10 sealed cab are perfect for me.

I turn down the gain for AC/DC or crank it up with a TS10 in front to do Metallica.

I have a DSL100 and a 2525H as well, but the little DSL1HR is quick and easy to fire up for noodling.

Latest posts