Winger!?

• Thread starter MarshallMark
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shooto

Reaction score
NEW Winger...I dig it-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tOzsssTtDU]Winger - Midnight Driver Of A Love Machine (Official / New Album / 2014) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20xl9x8BhUM]Winger - Tin Soldier (Official / New Album / 2014) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp57jqoKJ7E]Winger - Rat Race (Official / New Album / 2014) - YouTube[/ame]

mott555

Reaction score
From the name I figured it was some mediocre 80's pop-synth-rock. I was surprised to look them up on YouTube, and not only are they kick-ass glam metal, but I'd heard several of their songs before! They're good, and probably under-rated.

I'll have to start listening to them some more. I like glam/hair metal, but there are too few bands in that genre that are actually worth listening to. Most are awful.

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
You know what?!- Cinderella WAS the headliner on that tour and the bill in Memphis that night as well. My memory ain't what it use to be. I was thinking it was Winger headlining but you jogged my memory on that. No wonder I remember Cinderella being as good if not better than Winger!

I saw them on the very same tour---Bullet Boys (no big whoop), Winger (did a great job, trendy sound) and Cinderella (a more timeless sound, especially their mega-ballad Don't Know What You've Got....).

I have respect for the capabilities Winger had as musicians, but the "male stripper glam boy" image that Kip pushed at that time was over the top, and made it difficult for most to respect them. He must have had some very nice female companions, though. Overall, the best thing that came from Winger was Reb's awesome koa Ibanez Voyager guitar w/EMGs, a killer metal guitar. :hbang:

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
I thought we ALL got into it for money and poontang? They got to live the dream for some time, props to 'em

Most people who make those kinds of comments would kill to have the kinds of adventures those glamsters had back then. :cool: I know I would have taken full advantage of it until I had my fill....which probably would have taken at least 20+ yrs. :hbang:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Most people who make those kinds of comments would kill to have the kinds of adventures those glamsters had back then. :cool: I know I would have taken full advantage of it until I had my fill....which probably would have taken at least 20+ yrs. :hbang:

I never made it close to the national level, but played 2-3 weekends every month for a good 3-4 year stint and we were treated very well also, there were crappy experiences also, but I'm glad to have all the memories.

Cold Warrior

Reaction score
I never made it close to the national level, but played 2-3 weekends every month for a good 3-4 year stint and we were treated very well also, there were crappy experiences also, but I'm glad to have all the memories.

I was just a kid in the '80s and didn't start playing until '89, the same year I started being a roadie for a high school friend's band. Great times. Side benefits were having access to the some of the hot girls that followed the band (either the lead singer or lead guitarist always got the best, but I wasn't complaining!).

By the time I had become good enough to play my beloved metal onstage around '92ish,we all know what happened to metal. :( The people I disliked most were the outright turncoats, the ones who suddenly sold anything they had that was associated with metal, then bought flannel shirts a Doc Martins and grew goatees, etc, and started playing downer Alterna-Puke music. :mad::mad: By then I was in college and played with a few bands that liked my style of suddenly passe music, but concentrated more on the music studio. And since being an adult, the day job and other things take priority, but I still jam and record as often as I can. I don't need money or possessions at this point, so the only things that have appeal are the love of music and a bit of decadence without flaming out. Couldn't care less about what is considered cool or not....

So in that way, I wish I had been born 10 yrs earlier. I was a mere kid during my favorite decade. But no matter, you can the man out of the '80s, but you can't take the '80s out of the man. :hbang:

woodddj

Reaction score
I guess im just stuck in the 90's. I really like wingers older music, but out of the 3 new video's from 2014 I just cant get myself to like them. of the three new songs, RAT RACE seems to have the most energy. but I don't think I would waste my money and buy the singes or CD.

dptone5

Reaction score
Have a chance to see Winger in Eastern PA at Penn's Peak in September. Might have to check them out. Never saw Reb Beach play live and would really like to hear him. Check this video out (JCM 2000's sounding pretty sweet live). I believe Reb is originally from the Pittsburgh area (my hometown) and bought a lot of his gear at Piano's N' Stuff in Blawnox PA when he was a young man.

Excellent musicianship for sure and their live sound is tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diVI8cd9F74

dptone5

Reaction score
Saw Firehouse and Winger last night at Penn's Peak in Jim Thorpe PA.

Firehouse was very good. Better than I expected. Drummer can really play.

Winger is an excellent band. Very tight and musicianship is superb. Reb Beach had great tone and I just love the way their JCM 2000's cut through the mix. Penn's Peak has an excellent sound system and the acoustics are very good.

One of the highlights from the show. Last song was "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" by Van Halen. Kip Winger asked the audience is there anyone out there that plays bass. Some folks raise their hands and he pulls a 15 year old kid on stage. Kip and Reb spent a minute going over the chord progression and they let him play with the band. He did a great job and Reb helped him along for the one or two changes in progressions.

At first he was tentative and about half way through he was getting into it. Reb even had him come up to his mic and sing background with him. It was a cool moment. After the song, the band put their instruments away to say goodnight. With the kid, they turned the lights on toward the crowd, and with their backs to the crowd that were raising the hands, they took a band photo with the kid from the drum riser with the crowd in the background.

Can you imagine that moment as a 15 year old? Wow. That was a really cool.

Here are some videos that others have already posted (Time to Surrender and Madalaine). None of the cover song with the kid on bass, but if someone posts, I will find it and put it on this thread.

DP

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmNNCxmYjiU]Winger - Time to Surrender (live at Penn's Peak 9.5.14) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYl8vGxCbqU[/ame]