Won't using an Attenuator contribute to shorter tube life?

• Thread starter DDJ34
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken Tucky

Reaction score
I'll be able to get a killer sounding bedroom level, but I'll be burning up my tubes quicker. No?
Correct.

You are basically playing the amp cranked, just without it being loud to your own ears. If you played your amp at the same volume level without the attenuator, it would wear the tubes in the exact same manner. The main reason people say their attenuator fried their amp is because they had the amp volume cranked high for an extended amount of time. The problem with an attenuator is it fools people into playing the amp at high volume for long periods which can lead to things overheating and/or incurring damage. Without an attenuator, a person eventually gets ear fatigue playing at high volumes and is therefore more likely to take a break or simply engage in shorter sessions with the equipment.

Just be wary of the length of time you are playing the amp at high volume and things will be just fine IMO.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be able to get a killer sounding bedroom level, but I'll be burning up my tubes quicker. No?
The tubes will wear as they would with the amp turned up.
An attenuator will lower the volume to the speaker(s) - but is not the cause of tube wear.

In addition to the wear & tear, using an attenuator to squash a cranked amp down to "bedroom level" might not actually be "killer sounding".

Frodebro

Reaction score
The quick and easy to understand answer: An amp with the volume set to five will wear the tubes at the same rate whether it’s run into an attenuator or straight into a cab. Do not use the actual volume as a guide, look at where that volume knob is set. The volume knob is where the tube wear is occurring.

V-man

Reaction score
It’s largely irrelevant.

If the amp sounded fine without an attenuator at lower volume, you would just do that. If the amp sounds great cranked, then you would otherwise be doing that if you could get away with it. (with the attenuator making that possible).

Therefore, your typical use of the amp would not change regardless of attenuation. So, more wear? yes. More than what would be used under typical free use? Not at all.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
A really loud TSL 100
Ok, cool.

Is there not enough gain coming from the preamp for you? Are you trying to get the clean channel to clip?

If you feel that you have to have the power tubes sweating to get you the sound you want then an attenuator is what you want to keep it at reasonable volumes. Keep spare power amp tubes around.

Have you considered a lower wattage amplifier?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Ok, cool.

Is there not enough gain coming from the preamp for you? Are you trying to get the clean channel to clip?

If you feel that you have to have the power tubes sweating to get you the sound you want then an attenuator is what you want to keep it at reasonable volumes. Keep spare power amp tubes around.

Lower wattage?! :run::rofl:

This guy. :shrug:

JohnH

Reaction score
I reckon that if you use the attenuator to turn up to about say 7 on most amps , to get a full sound with a bit of compression etc, thats more wear than at 2 or 3 but it's still a lot less than fully cranked at 10. My amps sound best a bit below max. Or if im at 10, Im controlling the level in the preamp or at the guitar.

DDJ34

Reaction score
Ok, cool.

Yeah. Looking for a 60. But not doable til later in the year.

DDJ34

Reaction score
I had a TSL60. I own a TSL100. They are different amps. The TSL100 has V.P.R. feature (25W output pentode mode). If you use an EQ on the FXloop you can replicate full power mode when V.P.R. switch it's engaged.
Good to know. I will try it. When V.P.R. is engaged does it just use rwo tubes, or all four?

Kuga

Reaction score
Good to know. I will try it. When V.P.R. is engaged does it just use rwo tubes, or all four?
All four at pentode mode. But you lose some bright tone. It's fine.

Also you can run FX loop pot like a master volume. If you link both return output jacks from FX loop. With a path cable. It's not like a master volume but It works. FXloop pot work backwards then.

Latest posts