Worth a shot?

• Thread starter Easton55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Easton55

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else would risk buying a head that they cannot actually try out first. I have a shot at a JCM2000 DSL100w, used of course but it's an online deal quite a ways away from me. So therefore, no returns on any problems. They're asking around $1000 CN, while new of that caliber is almost 3 times that. Need some opinions from anyone. Thanks!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else would risk buying a head that they cannot actually try out first. I have a shot at a JCM2000 DSL100w, used of course but it's an online deal quite a ways away from me. So therefore, no returns on any problems. They're asking around $1000 CN, while new of that caliber is almost 3 times that. Need some opinions from anyone. Thanks!

No, never buy and amp without trying it, unless it's from someone you know that can guarantee the amp works, or unless it's through a system that includes buyer protection. Just my opinion, but you asked.

Easton55

Reaction score
Thanks all. The YT idea I never thought of, may be a way to go. Will think on it some more.
And thanks Ghostman, if I ever head your way I'll be sure to give you a shout, lol.

spacerocker

Reaction score
No - never buy an amp without trying it!

I bought my JVM based on the rave reviews I had heard about it. I plugged it in and was pleased with the versatility, the separate channels, the buldt-in reverb - and was reasonably pleased with the crunch tone - until I did a back to back comparison with my 2203!.....

I have since spent several years tweaking and modding it to make it sound like the 2203 (which it now does - only more so!....)

But would I have bought it if I had played through it first? Hard to say - possibly not?......

El Gringo

Reaction score
no no no , only from a trusted source with a return policy ,there is so much that can happen and you have to protect yourself .

soundboy57

Reaction score
Don't waste your time. Been there. DSL 100 looked mint, had runaway
bias issues and had neither the time or patience to mess with it. Sold it to a tech at a loss to get rid of it.

At the price he is asking, that is crazy without a return policy.
If it was $400 or less, might be worth a risk.
I paid $400 for mine, and it still wasn't worth it...

If you don't care about a few tolex scuffs, those heads are still
available for $500 all day long in perfect working order.
They made a bazillion of them.

My two cents.

dreyn77

Reaction score
do you let numbers control your life?

extra thinking because of numbers and systems?
no thanks!
that's not living. eventually the numbers are still here in existance and your not.
have a think about it.