• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Your Own Personal Favorite Amp & Guitar Set up

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metroman

Reaction score
Im using a Metro LTD ED. GMP45 with NOS tubes.

Ive got several ( 10 ) cabinets and I can really cant say what I like best.

I like my Metro Head as well as any amp Ive ever played through or coveted.

I would like the Metro LTD ED. JTM45/100 for a 100 watt amp. Its probably my dream head. I have all the speakers I could ever use. Ive been collecting speakers since 1972. I got a Carvin 100 Watt solid state amp with 2 x 15 CTS and they lasted long enough for me to dime it and hit a big open E chord.

The speakers instantly blew. I was already familiar with Altec Lansing and JBL so I got 2 x 15 Altec 418 8H to replace the CTS. I Still have the Carvin Cabinet and the Altecs. They are in perfect condition.

I got a 1970 Sunn Coliseum Lead in 73 that had 8 x 12 JBL D120Fs. I still have the Sunn but have put some of the speakers in 3 other 2 x 12 cabinets.

I have a Sound City cabinet that had 4 x 12 JBL E120s with Hemp Cones.

Ive got 4 x 1 x 15 Hemp Coned JBL E130s in Ported cabinets.

4 x 1 x 12 JBL E120's in Ported cabinets.

Ive got an old Hiwatt cabinet with 4 x 12 Fane Pulsonic Cone Cresendos 100 Watt.

And 2 x 2 x 10 Fane AXA 10 Alnicos.

So its really hard to say which sounds best.

But for the moment Im using 2 x 1 x 12 JBL E120's and the Metro 38 watts. It really loud with 300 watts worth of speakers and 130db sensitivity 1/w x 1m.

Actually with 2 of them they are 105db 1w x 1m.

Ive got a Mather oversized 1960TVB cabinet with the EC Collins grill cloth and some 1972 G12M 75hz Pulsonic 25 watt cones. For the straight up Marshall tone this is it. But its Huge to lug around but not as big and heavy with a 4 x 12 with JBL E120's in it. I don't mess with it much either.

I basically sold on JBLs and ported cabinets.

I also have modular backs so I can run them Open, Semi Open, Closed or Ported. Then I can also mix and match.

But I mainly prefer to run them as intended and slightly elevated and slightly tilted back for best results.

A cool Combination I never get to use is 1 x 15 E130 x 2 x 1 x 12 E120s and 2 x 2 x 10 Fane AXA10 Alnicos.

I like both a nice LEs Paul or a Strat.

My current guitars are my original 71 4 bolt Strat, a Custom made Les Paul by Vintage Relic. It ALL Era Correct Old Growth wood. Brazilian, Honduran Mahogany and Maple and Holly on the Headstock.

Of course the headstock isn't Gibson accurate.

Its got Tom Holmes Pickups Historic Makeovers Plastic, Pigtail Bridge, Hot Hide Glue, Original Royalite Binding.

Parstcaster. 82 x 57 Fullerton Reissue body. USA Custom Guitars neck. Original 65-66 trat pups. Ilitch noise reduction, Gotoh HAPM tuning gears, MannMade USA Bridge.

12 Radius 6125 frets African Blackwood fretboard, Torrified Flame Maple neck.

Early original 82 x 62 Fullerton Reissue Strat with Early Red Bobbin pups.

They all sound great. The Les Paul is the best sounding Humbucker guitar Ive ever played. Also plays the best.

My partscaster was assembled, set up and Pleked at Glaser Instruments in Nashville as all my guitars get set ups and Plek at Glasers.

Lots of nice rigs so far. Keep em comin.

Martin Maniac

Reaction score
Here's one for the 12 string acoustic guys....It's my Taylor 450 12 string into the Marshall AS50D using just the Shure Beta 57A mic...sounds fabulous !!

Taylor%20and%20Marshall_zps0vgxnss4.jpg

Muovinen

Reaction score
If I'd be forced to sell everything else but one guitar and one amp I would be left with a Guild S300A, Marshall JMP 2204 (1979) and a Marshall JCM 800 Lead cab (+ a bunch of pedals). I'd choose the JMP over my Rockerverb because it's more versatile and the S300A is hands down the best guitar I've ever played.

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
Me it's my 86 2210 Marshall w/nos pres and 4x12 w/ G12M's(70s cream back Rola)Favorite guitar is a 87 mij Squier(yep)stratocaster w/ lace sensors and Amr strat tremolo next would be my 2004 amr strat

questionman

Reaction score
Favorite all time is still a Strat through a Twin Reverb with a clean boost (no bass/treble boost)

Although I have grown fond of a Strat through my JCM2000. Its the gain channels I wish the Twin had