Zound acquires Marshall

• Thread starter alexmansman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
I would like to see what new loud amp products are released.
So the 60th Anniversary Series is... Thud đź’© :erk:

Antmax

Reaction score
Your thoughts on the Marshall Code 50.. its an amp I'm thinking about buying
Quite big, light weight, boxy with a boxy tone and low end flub. The bass and treble are akways fighting in the soundspace and are really hard to dial in. Clean tones sound better than dirt tones, dirt tones have some audible digital falloff fizz that is incredibly irritating if you are used to a tube amp.

The other thing annoying is that it doesn't do low volume well. Below 9 o'clock on the volume controls it sounds anemic and suddenly ramps up above that. Last thing is that even at low volume you get lots of hiss, it sounds like it was modelled cranked, if you add a noisegate sounds a bit dead.

I got a DSL5c soon after and never looked back. Then a DSL20 a couple of years later which was another step up. It's a shame, I think if Marshall had not tried to meet a low price point and put another $50 in, they might have fixed the problems. As it is, they couldn't sustain the price bracket they hit on launch and raised it within 6 months anyway. So I guess they cut too many corners from inception.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Your thoughts on the Marshall Code 50.. its an amp I'm thinking about buying
Sorry to say it on a Marshall forum, but unless your budget runs to either a DSL40 or an Origin50, I would take a good look at the Blackstar Debut 50 combo.

No modeling, so you'll need pedals if you're chasing "that" tone (whatever "that" tone may be). It's a straightforward all analogue but MOSFET (transistor) design, hence no tubes to worry about, with a digital reverb added on. I bought one and I'm not selling it. The cleans are superb, and the overdrive is very very good. Unlike some modest digital amps, it's actually usable. It has a built in FX loop (not switch on- able / off-able AFAIK) and accepts a standard 2- button footswitch to switch channels and turn the reverb on and off. Well built (for the money) too.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
On the bright side, it won't be Marshall pushing out the crap.
iu

XTRXTR

Reaction score
I'm a bit sick about all this. The feeling you get when you go visit your old neighborhood and find it was mostly torn down along with all your great childhood memories.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
Sorry to say it on a Marshall forum, but unless your budget runs to either a DSL40 or an Origin50, I would take a good look at the Blackstar Debut 50 combo.

No modeling, so you'll need pedals if you're chasing "that" tone (whatever "that" tone may be). It's a straightforward all analogue but MOSFET (transistor) design, hence no tubes to worry about, with a digital reverb added on. I bought one and I'm not selling it. The cleans are superb, and the overdrive is very very good. Unlike some modest digital amps, it's actually usable. It has a built in FX loop (not switch on- able / off-able AFAIK) and accepts a standard 2- button footswitch to switch channels and turn the reverb on and off. Well built (for the money) too.
That Blackstar amp is awesome. Marshall should've made something like that to replace the MG series.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
I say the worst is yet to come.

Marshalls new marketing is all about catering to the nonsense,not whats made/kept them popular all these years .It's a cult following . Brands don't care about keeping consumers these days,it's about pandering ,and one shot sales,not repeat customers. Look at their marketing, it's all right there. The new peeps only need earbuds and 1x12 modellers with a modern sound. Tube amps are way too alpha and toxic for today's society.
The phase out is coming !
Unfortunately, "Marshall Amplifications" will be a thing of the past ,sooner rather than later. Nothing is ever in stock anymore,not in abundance anyway.

My credit card will be smoking hot for the next 3 months trying to obtain.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Meh. As long amps are still designed and made in England, a cash infusion might be good. I'm a big fan of Jaguar cars, and being bought out by an Indian tractor company was the best thing ever for the company. Their best cars since the 60's E-type have been made and constructed in England under that company. Maybe the Swedish company will allow Marshall to flourish and innovate like they haven't since the 60s/70s/80s. Not to mention that from watching YouTube, people from Nordic countries seems to have a huge passion for Marshalls.

Last edited:

ITburst

Reaction score
Meh. As long amps are still designed and made in England, a cash infusion might be good. I'm a big fan of Jaguar cars, and being bought out by an Indian tractor company was the best thing ever for the company. Their best cars since the 60's E-type have been made and constructed in England under that company. Maybe the Swedish company will allow Marshall to flourish and innovate like they haven't since the 60s/70s/80s.
Wait…what? I thought Ford still owned Jag