100w and 50w - Which Sounds Bigger?

• Thread starter 8bit Barry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abkeller1

Reaction score
This is a silly question to be asking in 2023. Where would one be able to play a 100 watt head and push the volume to sound big? No where. So why even ask this question these days. It's irrelevant.

Youngeugene

Reaction score
Amp wattage isn't the only factor for sound depth. Amp design and components matter too.

For the JCM900 SLX, both 50W and 100W versions could offer a bigger feel, but it depends on the amp's design.

Your experience with other amps shows that wattage doesn't always determine bass or depth.

Since you like the SLX online, trying both versions is best. Your attenuator helps manage volume.

abkeller1

Reaction score
I am gassing pretty hard for an JCM900 SLX right now, but I wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if the 100w of this particular amp sounds deeper / bigger than the 50w?

I only play my heads through the Ironman II attenuator (or I would be 52 and deaf) but my own amplifiers don't seem to match any kind of pattern of sound stage / wattage. This prompted a general question...

The reason I ask is my 50w 2204 has never really had much bass, but enough let's say, but then none of them really do. My 50w 1987x on the other hand has plenty of bass and sounds very big. Then there is my 100w Super PA (recently modded to Super Lead) which has masses of bass. My brother in law's 100w JCM900 Dual Reverb I have borrowed isn't particularly bassy (but sounds ballsy).

It doesn't seem like I can conclude 50w has less bass / depth than 100w, it just depends on the amp type.

I don't know much about the SLX at the moment other than I like what I hear online - would a 50w or 100w make a difference with this particular model?
That's what a bass player is for. Marshall are known for their Mids not low end.

Silverdome

Reaction score
As a former 50w owner with the el34 tubes...50w is PLENTY. Maybe the 100w is fuller but the 50w sounded pretty full to my ears. I never an and b'd them but the 50w has a huge loud sound.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I
This is a silly question to be asking in 2023. Where would one be able to play a 100 watt head and push the volume to sound big? No where. So why even ask this question these days. It's irrelevant.
As I wrote in the initial post, I play with an attenuator, and the amps I own all have different sonic characteristics. Especially so when they’re cranked. It’s very relevant.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
100W will sound bigger than a 50W, all else equal, such as cabs and speakers.

It will be +3 dB, revealing frequencies not found (bottlenecked) at -3 dB. What does it mean in terms of Marshall?

It means the difference an ambulance siren makes compared to a jackhammer.

While a 50W will only send you out of your shoes, a 100W will send you out of your skin.

At least at the levels these amps are designed to be played for.

My 20W Studio Marshalls are like -7 dB, yet I am in an area where ear protection is mandatory.

So yeah, 100W sounds bigger than a 20W, but you need the venue for it or attenuation. If you are recording, then 20W vs 100W in blind tests can reveal a lot about how we hear with our eyes. Especially with the current status of modeling which is doing amazing things.

Get big iron if you have the venue and studio for it. Or else, 20W is even overkill in many situations.

coffeecupman

Reaction score
I think it's all been said. Different iron will have a different set of dynamics.

More isn't always better. Some iconic players used 50 watters.

I'm an AC/DC Malcolm guy at heart, so I like the punch/dynamics of a 100w most of the time. But I also adore JTM45s.

I guess the answer is the familiar "one of each."

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play mine loud all the time at home. No attenuation. Neighbors are awesome here. :agreed:

No where out gigging though. I ain't p!aying out any more at the time.

Neptical

Reaction score
So true however the Marshall tone was Always about the Mids not the low end. That's what a bass player is for.

Agreed.
Though I do really dig a good amount of bass to fill out my tone, it's never been walking on the toes of the bass. Just comes with experience.

Marshalls already have such a great grind that cut through no matter what.

My Boogies on the other hand, (pending amp) can get very bloated in the mix quick.

bhurst462

Reaction score
The 100 watt will sound "bigger" all day. A lot of people get caught up with watts = loud. This really has nothing to do with volume. I run 100 watt plexi's all the time. I also have a 2204 JMP 50 watt. Both are plenty "loud", however the 100 has more of a percussive nature and will seem to have a "fuller" sound in the mix, definitely have more punch. More aggressive. The 50 is a little sweeter, will be a little more compressed, and not quite have the attack the 100 watt will. Both sound great and have their own special thing going on. A lot of this is due to the big iron in the chassis. The larger output transformers have a major effect. I swear sometimes my 50 watt JMP sounds "louder" than my 100 watt plexi's. However when I go back and watch video of a show, hearing the different between the 100 and 50 is pretty evident. The 100 just sounds more "present". Also type of music you are playing may or may not expose those differences.

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
T
I find the 80/100 watters into my cabs sound bigger. I see some saying fuller. The 50 watter a bit smaller. Which is why the 20 watters have been disappointing to me. Their same tone is much smaller, less punch and thump. Leaves me craving more always. Love their tones though.

I prefer at least a 50 watter and up. My favorite playing experiences at home or get togethers.

Also with 50 watters you're saving money only having to buy 2 power tubes as opposed to 4. That matters for some of us vs a lil less openness or girth. With my cabs and speakers it would be a negligible compromise.

The thump of my 80/100 watt amps is addictive too! Depends on the amp. My 80 watt 5150 Iconic annihilates my 50 watt boosted Origin in biggness/thump. It really opens up at volume. Like my 900 DR 4100 did when volume hit a certain spot. Love that shit! I play at volume most of the time at home. I wouldn't if gigging.
True that. When i turn on the 100 watter 4100 it literally moves the amp. That power going to the trannys. Thats the only trannys i like. Lol
But i like a 1987 and. Friedman Runt.
So i say get the 100. Helen Keller axed where to play a 100 watter, no one os saying dime it.
My 900 at 4 to 6 volume is smooth and not too loud.
Ive played punk rock clubs that 100 watter could fit nicely.
Its no coffee house man bun amp

RitchieManzanera

Reaction score
I am gassing pretty hard for an JCM900 SLX right now, but I wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if the 100w of this particular amp sounds deeper / bigger than the 50w?

I only play my heads through the Ironman II attenuator (or I would be 52 and deaf) but my own amplifiers don't seem to match any kind of pattern of sound stage / wattage. This prompted a general question...

The reason I ask is my 50w 2204 has never really had much bass, but enough let's say, but then none of them really do. My 50w 1987x on the other hand has plenty of bass and sounds very big. Then there is my 100w Super PA (recently modded to Super Lead) which has masses of bass. My brother in law's 100w JCM900 Dual Reverb I have borrowed isn't particularly bassy (but sounds ballsy).

It doesn't seem like I can conclude 50w has less bass / depth than 100w, it just depends on the amp type.

I don't know much about the SLX at the moment other than I like what I hear online - would a 50w or 100w make a difference with this particular model?
Fyi, everything sounds better with an EQ pedal. (If you got 12" celestions of course).

Reaction score

As far as the amps, I really can't give an answer, but myself, I would try speakers with a lower hertz

I would try a speaker with a lower bass response, my greenbacks are 75, which was a little to nasally , I pulled 2 and added a couple Carvin British series (Jensens I believe) which are 55 on bass response, that did the trick. Only issue is you need 2 mics live or recording. Good luck.

kilroy

Reaction score
Not an amp expert by any means, but from what l've gathered, the smaller amp will sound better because you can turn it up more. In other words, if you're playing a gig where you need 100W to be heard, then that's your amp, but if you don't need that 100W just for volume, you're better off with the 50W because you will push it harder. We always mic our amps and put them through the PA, so I use a 50W head. My other guitarist once used a 15W Fender on stage, relying on the PA and monitors to give him him what he needed, and it worked out fine.

Reaction score
I play my 40watt on 11, my 20 watt on 12 and my 600 watt bass amp on 15. Some people have a different situation where they can get away with mad volume. I also built an isolation booth for my 4x12 for late night, I mic up with a couple SM-57s. use studio monitors, that way I can still get the gain compression from the amp and the natural break up of the speakers and not get ear fatigue.

Pave Dog

Reaction score
It is completely subjective, but when I talked with George the from Metropolis about his new 50/100W head he seemed to fall on the side of bigger sound and “tightness” while playing. I will let you know as I preordered one of his 100W Metro-Plex, and have a few 50w and a Reeves 18W to compare it to

Eric'45

Reaction score
I WILL repeat it everytime it comes up.
Some Amps have their appeal because they are small (think Fender Champ)
But bigger Iron and higher wattage contributes something to the sound that can't be denied.
100W Amps are now relevant as ever, because now we have the tools and the technology to use them in any situation and at any Volume level.
It's best to have one of each, anyway. :hippie: