1969 50 Watt

• Thread starter ElectricMagick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a 1969 Plexi 50 watter.
Its 1200.
Is it worth it?
It has a master volume on it.
I tried playing it. I turned it up to 11 on every knob and I cant get it to crunch.Why?

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Its 1200.
Is it worth it?
I tried playing it. I turned it up to 11 on every knob and I cant get it to crunch.Why?

If you can validate it being in 1969 and it's what you really want! 1969 is a transition year so that term "plexi" may or may not apply. It might even be a half a Plexi LOL!

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
If you can validate it being in 1969 and it's what you really want! 1969 is a transition year so that term "plexi" may or may not apply. It might even be a half a Plexi LOL!

Whats different about it? Is it going from more a vintage gain to a higher gain? Is that what you mean by transition. This one has a plexi face, not a metal face, if that helps.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
Its 1200.
Is it worth it?
Something is wrong if it doesn't crunch on 11. Maybe the MV is done wrong, or tubes are shot? But 1200 for a '69 with plexi panels is a steal. Even if it doesn't work I'd still buy it and fix it, as long as transformers are original. Post some pics. And post the sellers name and number.:fingersx:

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
Something is wrong if it doesn't crunch on 11. Maybe the MV is done wrong, or tubes are shot? But 1200 for a '69 with plexi panels is a steal. Even if it doesn't work I'd still buy it and fix it, as long as transformers are original. Post some pics. And post the sellers name and number.:fingersx:

Is it still a good price for a metal face?

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Yea. It is a good price for a metal face. I'd say buy it, and have a tech look at it afterwards.

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
Yea. It is a good price for a metal face. I'd say buy it, and have a tech look at it afterwards.

they have a contract with the tech so its free. i told them to just run a diagnostic check and not replace anything.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
Whats different about it? Is it going from more a vintage gain to a higher gain? Is that what you mean by transition. This one has a plexi face, not a metal face, if that helps.

In 1969 Marshall was revising its assembly line & and build format for its main line of amps. So you will have amps that can be a little more gain oriented, you may have some with a Plexiglas front panel and a brushed metal back panel. just some more then usual Marshall inconsistencies.

Ken

Reaction score
Lots of fake plexis out there. Is the paper tag intact? Still a good price even if it's from the early 70's. Post some pics of the amp and chassis and the experts will tell you what it really is!

Ken

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
ummm, if hes got some kind of 'deal' going with the tech? id be a little bit cautious.

pull the chassis and take tons of pics and post em up b4 you commit to buy, the guys on here can help ID if theres some funny business...

get pics of everything, every component, mark, print, serial #, mod, scratch, everthing.

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
I'm going tomorrow to check it out again. I just called and they told me they never sent it to the tech because the new guy at the store didn't know how to work a master volume. I don't think aything has been replaced.