• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

1970 Slant Refurb

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
IMG_7986.jpg IMG_7990.jpg IMG_8008.jpg IMG_8010.jpg

I'm doing a bit of work on one of my slant cabs and I thought I would share some pics/work in progress here.

I use refurb in the loosest possible sense of the word, as I'm not going to get it retollexed but patch with old Tolex.

The cab is from early/mid 1970 and used to belong to Gerry McAvoy(Rory Gallagher's bass player) He changed out the stock speakers for Hiwatt branded Fanes(1971), I'll stick the speakers back in once I've finished with it.

When I got the cab it was missing its Baffle post, I have added one from a '66 cab that was eaten up with woodworm(all I was able to salvage were the speakers and half the baffle)

I did make up a new Baffle post but it looked too 'new'

I'm just waiting for the glue to dry on the loose tolex around the back panel(which stops the back panel fitting properly, see last picture) then I'll get patching!

Attachments

• 1970-slan-cab-refurbished.jpg
    1970-slan-cab-refurbished.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 4

Adieu

Reaction score
No internal bracing whatsoever... hmmmm

Wonder if adding some would improve it?

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
No internal bracing whatsoever... hmmmm

Wonder if adding some would improve it?
It sounded fine without it, once I put the speakers back in I’ll have a play and see if it’s got better or worse bass response

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
any story worth telling how you ended up with gerry's cab?

Not really, I bought it off of a guy who was friends with him, he got it off of him back in the seventies, their is a sound clip of it somewhere in YouTube I’ll try and find it!

BygoneTones

Reaction score
Theres always the van halen look:

c2d3f0e4d0fc7df1e107d10230918382.jpg

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Here's a clip of the cab in action(not my playing)

standard Strat into a 66/67 Super Bass 100

cracking guitar sound actually, the fanes are a little cleaner than Celestions.

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
26162A14-F4B1-4C5B-B3A4-3AE4BC7C2172.jpeg EC2BE99B-6D33-459D-901C-EA48621AC20C.jpeg Spent a good few hours today glueing tolex scraps onto the cab, you’ll be able to see the patchwork when your up close but it looks fine from a few metres away.

Here are two pics; before and after.

Now I just need to make the LL’s I’ve added to the logo look 49 years old!

BygoneTones

Reaction score
I've done some horrible patchwork on cabs in the past. Looking back I wish I'd just left them in original state or gone with a full retolex. As you say they look good from a few metres away or if you squint lol. The tolex doesn't always match either.

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
Whew, I remember the fun of restoring or repairing cabs. I'm glad it's you, not me, pulsonicsound!

It’s kind of like a 3D puzzle, I’m getting about 24 cabs retolexed at the moment so I thought I’d see what I could do myself, the hours it takes means it not really cost effective. But it looks nice in a. Double stack!

I've done some horrible patchwork on cabs in the past. Looking back I wish I'd just left them in original state or gone with a full retolex. As you say they look good from a few metres away or if you squint lol. The tolex doesn't always match either.

Hindsight eh Brian I had some scraps of tolex off of a ‘68 8x10 which I used, even with the same kind of tolex it still look a bit different, as the wear of the tolex isn’t exactly the same. I am tempted to attack the patches with some wet and dry to blend them in!

But that may be taking it too far...

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
I tried patching...once. You can't get the patina or the grain right. It always shows up wrong. So either you leave it, or retolex the whole thing. Really no middle ground that looks right.