2005 T S L 100 Clip: Trying For That Magical Plexi Model 1959 Tone

• Thread starter RickyLee
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Next in my marshall quest is a plexi and an 800.Im sure ill be asking for all you guys opinions .

Buzzard

Reaction score
ricky lee, just keep in mind a vm 2466 is a HEAVY beast ,by far my heaviest marshall head and wouid grab others that are lighter to gig with. I dont think marshalls specs are accurate in terms of weight .

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Next in my marshall quest is a plexi and an 800.Im sure ill be asking for all you guys opinions .

Which 800 you looking at?

Yeah, I still do not own a real Plexi. Just the ones I have tweaked to be like a Plexi and then the AFD35 SIR36 50W project that I put a Plexi mode in. I would not say it is 100% to the 1987 model in that mode due to a few missing options like being able to jump an added input/channel in parallel like the real ones.

I later built my first ground up build. It started out as 50W model 1987 then I started going berserk and gonzo on it. Now it is 2204 with an extra mode to get into high gain territory. Still not happy with it as is. Might go back later and tinker some more on it.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Holding out (hopefully) but probably wont happen is a super 800, maybe a late 80s 2204 horiz inpt or ceriatone 2204 with some options. Ive never had a handwired amp so this intrigues me .I think a 2203x might be too brutal.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a few minutes to plug back into my TSL100 at loud volume this evening. Plugged into it with the same settings from those clips I made in the beginning of this thread. Yeah, it was quite loud LOL.

So I tuned it down a bit and was playing it. Had a great tone with excellent clarity and crunchy bite. I put both Crunch and Lead channels Gains 3 and Volumes 4 1/2. Grabbed the phone to record a short clip. I think these amps shine on those channels with the Gains set low for sure.

Then, at the end of the clip I plugged into my project build AFD50/SIR36. What a difference. But the big difference was in low end girth and boldness which this AFD50 has big time. Low mids as well as mids shine and cut right through. Very rich harmonically. It was actually very similar to the TSL100 with just more low end emphasized. I will listen to this on earbuds here shortly to check it. But once again, the low end is distorting on the phone. Sounds so delicious here in person, both amps.

On the AFD50 I called out the settings on the video.

EDIT/ADD: So F ing bummer again man. The AFD clip is distorted from my phone mic. I might have had the volume a bit louder than the TSL100. But for sure, the extra low end girth was part of the problem and the phone did it no justice. It sounds massive and had me thinking to myself why I have not been using this amp since I built it LOL. But there is a few bugs and kinks in it that I still need to iron out. Anyway, on the AFD50 the settings were Gain1 just over 6 1/2 with bright cap ON Gain2 5 1/2, Treble 6, Mid 5 1/2, Bass 5 Presence 7, Master Volume 5 1/2.

At the end, I switch it to Plexi mode. There is quite a volume drop on this mode. Then at the very end of the clip I turn the Master Volume to 10. Single coil neck pickup there.

Last edited:

Blueslicks

Reaction score
I had a few minutes to plug back into my TSL100 at loud volume this evening. Plugged into it with the same settings from those clips I made in the beginning of this thread. Yeah, it was quite loud LOL.

So I tuned it down a bit and was playing it. Had a great tone with excellent clarity and crunchy bite. I put both Crunch and Lead channels Gains 3 and Volumes 4 1/2. Grabbed the phone to record a short clip. I think these amps shine on those channels with the Gains set low for sure.

Then, at the end of the clip I plugged into my project build AFD50/SIR36. What a difference. But the big difference was in low end girth and boldness which this AFD50 has big time. Low mids as well as mids shine and cut right through. Very rich harmonically. It was actually very similar to the TSL100 with just more low end emphasized. I will listen to this on earbuds here shortly to check it. But once again, the low end is distorting on the phone. Sounds so delicious here in person, both amps.

On the AFD50 I called out the settings on the video.

EDIT/ADD: So F ing bummer again man. The AFD clip is distorted from my phone mic. I might have had the volume a bit louder than the TSL100. But for sure, the extra low end girth was part of the problem and the phone did it no justice. It sounds massive and had me thinking to myself why I have not been using this amp since I built it LOL. But there is a few bugs and kinks in it that I still need to iron out. Anyway, on the AFD50 the settings were Gain1 just over 6 1/2 with bright cap ON Gain2 5 1/2, Treble 6, Mid 5 1/2, Bass 5 Presence 7, Master Volume 5 1/2.

At the end, I switch it to Plexi mode. There is quite a volume drop on this mode. Then at the very end of the clip I turn the Master Volume to 10. Single coil neck pickup there.

Killer sounds and playing RickyLee

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Killer sounds and playing RickyLee

Great tones in that romp! I dig that AFD50.

Thanks fellas. Always appreciate the compliments when it comes from good musicians as yourselves.

At least I think I might have found a somewhat decent placement for my phone for recording clips. I just have to watch the volume. The AFD/SIR36 amp must have been a bit louder than the TSL100 as it is really distorted.

I will try that again later down the road, as I have a few more amp models I want to mess around with. Might help if I start picking up my guitar more at home as I just do not find the inspiration to play when that recorder is on LOL. My clips are more to show off the amps tone anyway, not show off for myself. I save that for when the gigs and jams come around. Then the animal gets unleashed.

:blah:

:D

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Another clip from another Mother, Marshall Forum Brother, for all you TSL100 Lovers.

Lead and Crunch channels Gains at 5 and Volumes at 4. No tone shift this time. Clip starts out using the Deep function, which I never really mess with. I was trying to get the low end punch with clarity that I got from the AFD/SIR36 in the previous clip. I used my dB meter this time and referenced the volume from the TSL100 settings in that previous clip.

So it turns out that the AFD/SIR36 lost a bit of that MaGiK this time. That is because I lowered the volume, it was a bit too loud in that last clip/ That is why probably why you guys liked it so much last time LOL.

Third part of the clip you will hear my '76 Twin Reverb . . . .

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
TSL Sounds excellent to me. Like the deep button in for recording but yeah live cutting is more important. Depends on sound check.

That Fender sounds great too yeah boy! Didn't expect the dirt to sound so good.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
TSL Sounds excellent to me. Like the deep button in for recording but yeah live cutting is more important. Depends on sound check.

That Fender sounds great too yeah boy! Didn't expect the dirt to sound so good.

I keep getting more impressed with my TSL100 every time I plug into her. The DSL line gets all the Love. But this amp is no slouch man. Turns out the AFD/SIR36 amp was not as impressive after I got the volume down to match the TSL100. And actually, the TSL100 and DSL line is right in the ballpark as that old SIR36 secret circuit, as they are all just hot rodded 2203/4 amps with extra gain stages. The core tones are very similar.

The Fender is somewhat my Poor Mans Mesa Boogie. It was a wreck when I got it. So I had no hesitations or regrets of defacing, drilling holes, on a bitchin vintage Fender amp. It is still a work in progress. I keep tweaking it every once on a Blue Moon trying to get it Filthy Dirty where my imagination would would like it to be.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
So I grabbed the 2555 Jubilee Clone right after the other clip to give it another chance to impress me. Actually, it was more like to hear it again to see if I fvcked it up with my modding trying to milk more saturation out of her. It was sounding much better to me today and I did not hear the oddities in the gain structure I heard last time playing it. I was ready to put it back to original 2555 recipe but now I am on the fence and it will stay as is for the time being LOL.

Same sound/volume level as previous clip as they are all matched up using my dB meter.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the TSL and AFD better however the Jube is decent.

Felt the other 2 were ready to go get it on over the Jube clone.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also my Brother I'm not into the Jube's anyways. I'd put my DSL40 against it any time. I've always challenged that but I get no takers. Yes I have heard so many clips of the Jube and its decent...but if my lowly ole DSL can give it a run I'm not impressed.

I have amps that kill my DSL40 so I'm not a nut hugger. Just true to my ears.

Your TSL, AFD50 and Fender IMO from your clips put a foot to the Jube.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a side note your play'n is my kind of guitarist. No if and butts!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I've been rolling power tubes in my 900 clone and I can't make up my mind? The JJ6L6's sound great rhythm wise but fall a pubic hair short lead wise. The EL34's sound great rhythm wise but translate just a hair duller. I keep going back and forth. Guess the neat thing is the neighbor 2 houses a way says she loves both versions....

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing bud. If I was there with you I'd kick you into another gear cause I hear your playing. Anything but boring. However with me chasing your ass you'd do us proud. Cause sometimes we need each other to pull the trigger proper sick. I know you can.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't bed time I'd light this thread up. And you'd join me why....? Cause we can. Love your playing my Brother. Honest and gives me a push. Keep your clips coming.

Last edited:

Latest posts