2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard - The Worst Les Paul Ever?

• Thread starter SonVolt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I didn't realize they sold that many. A Gibson style headstock would look a lot better.

That's just a guestimate but figuring the price point of Epiphone vs that of Gibson and then figuring that mid priced gear makes the bulk of all gear sold it stands to reason that Epi sales would be many times that of Gibson.

I don't buy that idea. I work in manufacturing and everything is 100%+ markup. A $500 EPI gives Gibbo $250 in profit with piss poor resale. A $3000 Gibson nets $1500 in profit and retains resale value. It's a no brainer. Epi's are not the same, maybe made by Gibson but not a Gibson.

I don't disagree. They are not Gibson, they are licensed copies. However, when you look at your example if Gibson sells 10 Epiphone guitars @ $250 profit vs 1 Gibson guitar @ $1500 profit they still make more money from Epiphone. I would also venture to guess that the cost is less than 50% on an Epiphone. When production moved to China from Korea the prices didn't reduce but I can just about guarantee that the costs did. I also don't understand what resale has to do with it.

anitoli

Reaction score
That's just a guestimate but figuring the price point of Epiphone vs that of Gibson and then figuring that mid priced gear makes the bulk of all gear sold it stands to reason that Epi sales would be many times that of Gibson.

I don't disagree. They are not Gibson, they are licensed copies. However, when you look at your example if Gibson sells 10 Epiphone guitars @ $250 profit vs 1 Gibson guitar @ $1500 profit they still make more money from Epiphone. I would also venture to guess that the cost is less than 50% on an Epiphone. When production moved to China from Korea the prices didn't reduce but I can just about guarantee that the costs did. I also don't understand what resale has to do with it.

Are you factoring in shipping costs and now the new tarriffs? As far as resale goes if a person wants to buy everything that has no option of ever being resold for any amount of cabbage then buy these cheap Chinese products. Just me but i would prefer to pay more and get more later on than pay less and get nothing.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I like the ability to coil tap and really like the bypass out. Very handy if you are playing at a lower guitar volume and suddenly need a good crank and go back again. I spose though they could keep it to the classic only. I guess don't use those features.
Again, title of thread would say its made by First Act.
Title was clickbait for sure. It got me to read it though. Plus, it’s one dude’s opinion, not very consequential, in the scheme of things. Cheers!

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Are you factoring in shipping costs and now the new tarriffs? As far as resale goes if a person wants to buy everything that has no option of ever being resold for any amount of cabbage then buy these cheap Chinese products. Just me but i would prefer to pay more and get more later on than pay less and get nothing.

No, the tariffs didn't figure into my guesses. However, even with shipping and all of that I still believe that Epi is keeping Gibson afloat. I could certainly be wrong on this but, given sales figures, I don't see how Gibbo could survive without the low priced instrument sales. Again, I agree with you, if I had $500 I could say that 99% of the time I'm buying a used SG or LP faded series before I would buy a new Epi standard. However, if I had $250 I would have no option and would be buying a used Epi. I know the resale isn't great on them but, they do carry some value on the used market. I have seen used standards for up to $300 - $350 and customs for as much as $500 which is around 70% of retail on a new one. That's really not too bad. I also know from experience that when selling a used Epi people will buy. I have sold Gibsons that took months for a buyer to pick up but with an Epi, they generally sell within days. The lower price, reasonable quality, and classic vibe draws people. I mean, how many people on this very forum have said that they won't buy another Gibson but swear by Epiphone? They really are good instruments considering the cost but I get where you're at on it, no substitute for the real thing, I agree but, not everyone has that kind of money to spend, especially home players, teens, and beginners.

grainman

Reaction score
the les paul traditional IS the new standard..lots of peoples knows that as a fact...no asymetrical neck and new gadjets you'll see on the standard.. the trad is just a plain ol style les paul with a pickguard in bonus ...and they are better than some 70s-80s les paul beleive me even with the traditional weight releive

jericbrazier

Reaction score
The new tariffs, that have been postponed (thank goodness) are tariffs on goods going to China from the US.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
My point is, its a name. Why get so hung up on it if there is another model that is pretty much what you want?

Don't like what is on offer with the current standard, buy an older one or get a traditional.

He just wants to say he plays a "Standard" not a "traditional". If that's the biggest issue he has to worry about.......
Or switch out the "Traditional" truss rod cover for one that says "Standard" and no one will know the difference LOL. :lol:

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Or switch out the "Traditional" truss rod cover for one that says "Standard" and no one will know the difference LOL. :lol:
long-neck-tenon_2.jpg

Unless you pull the neck pup & look in the neck pocket.
A Standard should have a long tenon, i don't think Traditionals do.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I agree with many...why phuck with the LPS?? If they want to offer a gizmo guitar, then off another model. I gurantee you wont see Slash or other hot shot players using one of these 2019s unless its a promo video.

If I had to buy one, Id rip all that shit out and replace it with normal basic wiring. Just like I did with my 2016 models. Wake up Gibson you stupid phuckers.
They can call it the Les Paul "Contemporary" with the dip switches, push pull pots, circuit board, usb drive and other gizmos! :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Makes it next to impossible to change PUPs unless you rewire the it which further adds costs. I did this to all of mine. Also the knobs sit really high off the body, looks stupid and cheap IMO.

Thank GOD Gibson realized most players dont want the GForce tuner and removed it. A local guitar store was selling the Grover Tuners at cost if you bought the Standard a few years ago. The owner was tacking it and 93% of all LPSs buyers bought the Grovers, oh, and she would install tem at to charge.

My point, and Ill say it again, what would it hurt for Gibson to have a new model maybe called the LP Modern with these options and leave the Standard as the name implies, the Standard? They arent messing around with the Classic or Traditional????
How about call it the LP Moron, it tunes itself and plays itself! :lol:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more with this guy!

dro

Reaction score
Last new Les Paul I bought was a 2008 Standard. Although it worked pretty well at rehearsal, couldn't control the feedback at a gig. Didn't feel a need to vent about it. Just found I know what I like and buy accordingly. Love my Les Paul's , Don't like blue guitars, so I don't buy them. Don't like split humbuckers, so I don't buy them. For that matter, I don't buy Strat's or Tele's. Why you ask? because they're not my cup of tea. Just sayin'