2555x, Who bought one?

• Thread starter anitoli
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Who on this fourum bought a 2555x new?

• Total voters

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
The thing with the reissues is that their stock preamp tubes sucks.
Switch preamp tubes, rebias and you get this:

And like I said in many threads before, add a BB boost in front of it and you gonna party like it's 2999

I swapped in some Ruby's in mine and it finally sounds like I always wanted it too. Power tubes didn't make any difference and one of them went bad so I had to swap my stock power tubes back in.

eigentone

Reaction score
I grabbed the 2555X during the $999 sale. It’s a versatile amp with good sounds. I ultimately sold it to a Bonamassa fan. Nice amp but I was getting the tones I wanted from other amps and it wasn’t getting much play. The clean doesn’t get mentioned enough in my opinion. I also consider it a bit harder to pair speaker/cab with.

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
let me tell you folks.
my 2555X sounded great on my 425A cab.
Then I got my 2536. EPIC.
The 2555X is designed to work with it's matched cab.
And like pentodelicious always say, add a BB preamp to the mix and you gonna party hard!!!:headbanger:

James Freeman

Reaction score
If I recall correctly Marshall branded Tung-Sol EL34, same in the 2203x. The 1987x came with Marshall branded JJ EL34.
All biased to 65% dissipation by me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I'm just not used to its distortion character and weird tonestack, maybe I need to give it more time.
I've been using the Jubilee interchangeably with the 2203 and I vastly prefer the 2203 so far.
Yes, I've tried all the recommended stuff like turning the master past 7, Vintage 30, Greenback, etc.

anitoli

Reaction score
If I recall correctly Marshall branded Tung-Sol EL34, same in the 2203x. The 1987x came with Marshall branded JJ EL34.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I'm just not used to its distortion character and weird tonestack, maybe I need to give it more time.
I've been using the Jubilee interchangeably with the 2203 and I vastly prefer the 2203 so far.
Yes, I've tried all the recommended stuff like turning the master past 7, Vintage 30, Greenback, etc.
If you have them on hand or can swing the cost because they are pricey try a set of KT88's in there. I used EL34, 5881, 6L6GC's and the amp was cool but still not exciting you know? Tried the KT88's and to my ears it came alive. All of a sudden there was this harmonically rich upper mid push that made this head just cut through. Even my friend asked if there was something different with it before i told him i changed the tubes.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
Bought a 2555x new from Sweetwater for $1120, great amp, but had other amps that did pretty much everything I wanted so I sold it at a pretty nice profit.

Honestly never missed it.

Built like a tank. Big old school transformers and an awesome bias set up that every amp ever made should be utilizing.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but how did you get this new for $1120????

67mike

Reaction score

Try turning the output master up fully, then use the lead master to control overall volume.....obviously on the od channel...and don't hit the channel switch on ghe pedal unless you like broken windows and deafness.....lol

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
wow why the hell didnt I see that? what a deal
I paid even less for mine, think it was through Pro Audio Star. I remember taking the chassis out to look at the quality, front chrome panel was barely thicker than tin foil and got caught on the head shell. Didn't qualify being marketed as a "Reissue" (IMO), not even close.

Last edited:

67mike

Reaction score
I paid even less for mine, think it was through Pro Audio Star. I remember taking the chassis out to look at the quality, front chrome panel was barely thicker than tin foil and got caught on the head shell. Didn't qualify being marketed as a "Reissue" (IMO), not even close.

Bullshit.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Bullshit.
Typical non-factual fanboy response. Pull the chassis of both and compare the reissue to the original before you spout off, you sound like a fool. If, after doing so, you think the reissue is an accurate representation "reissue" of the original, you know shit about electronics.

Last edited:

67mike

Reaction score
Typical non-factual fanboy response. Pull the chassis of both and compare the reissue to the original before you spout off, you sound like a fool. If, after doing so, you think the reissue is an accurate representation "reissue" of the original, you know shit about electronics.
Do I need to pull up the posts from the 2555x 's designer, that shut down your nonsense?

When are you going to learn?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Do I need to pull up the posts from the 2555x 's designer, that shut down your nonsense?

When are you going to learn?
Such a disgruntled boy. I've owned both old and new versions of the Jubilee and spent 35 years working in the field of electronics. If you can't handle reading "my" opinions of an amp, don't read them. My suggestion, add me to your ignore list to avoid further embarrassing yourself. It takes 2 clicks of the mouse, I think you can do it.

67mike

Reaction score
Such a disgruntled boy. I've owned both old and new versions of the Jubilee and spent 35 years working in the field of electronics. If you can't handle reading "my" opinions of an amp, don't read them. My suggestion, add me to your ignore list to avoid further embarrassing yourself. It takes 2 clicks of the mouse, I think you can do it.
Once again, I will take the advice and knowledge of the Designer of the amp, over your jaded and scewed opinion.

Post in thread 'How well built are the New Silver Jubilees? Anyone seen the electronics? Reliable?' https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...-the-electronics-reliable.135085/post-2422553

The sad thing is, some newbies might actually think you have a fucking clue, something us old guys know is false.