Help! Wich Marshall do you think I should use on this song?

• Thread starter Kuga
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wich Marshall do you think I should use on this song?

• JCM900 2500 MKIII

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JCM900 4501 Dual reverb

• JCM900 2500 SL-X

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • LM6100

• JCM2000 TSL100

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Vintage Modern 2466

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Astoria Custom

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • JVM1H with power amp from the list

• JVM410HJS

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Silver Jubilee 2555X

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is leaving their vote. As far as I know it's free. For your information, in the survey that I am conducting on different platforms, the amplifier that is in the lead is the Astoria Custom

please leave your vote
Sorry man, but to be honest it’s kind of a silly question,… imho.

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that is why I was surprised to see that. It has a Plexi channel I think so probably makes sense to use that instead of what looks like the DSLs.

I did Malmsteen's dialing today with the bass on 0 and Loundess 1 cranked with a Fender Strat. It is a very clean tone when you play the upper registry. It crunches out when you play chords, which he doesn't very often. I wonder if a JCM800 on a clean setting wouldn't sound the same?

You'll probably get closer to his tone if you run your SV20 rather than the SC20. Just get some volume (@ 1 will be too clean), and then slam the front end with either an old school grey box DOD, a DOD YJM308, or the Fender version. I haven't used a stand alone version of his OD's, but I have one of them built into my YJM100, and I can say that it's absolutely fantastic (Santiago said it's the DOD YJM308 powered @ 9V). I still love / use my SD-1, but if I'm plugged into the YJM100, I'm almost always using the built in Yngwie boost. FWIW, I don't sound like Yngwie, but it's a glorious tone. This reminds me that I've been meaning to pick up a stand alone version to use with my other amps (especially the C5H). Also, not sure what cabinet / speakers you are using, but G12T75's will likely help get you into that ballpark, and they sound great with a NMV Marshall. Since I went back to the 75's a couple of years ago, I haven't even plugged into my other cabs (actually thinking of dumping them, but they look cool, so ... yeah lol).

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
You'll probably get closer to his tone if you run your SV20 rather than the SC20. Just get some volume (@ 1 will be too clean), and then slam the front end with either an old school grey box DOD, a DOD YJM308, or the Fender version. I haven't used a stand alone version of his OD's, but I have one of them built into my YJM100, and I can say that it's absolutely fantastic (Santiago said it's the DOD YJM308 powered @ 9V). I still love / use my SD-1, but if I'm plugged into the YJM100, I'm almost always using the built in Yngwie boost. FWIW, I don't sound like Yngwie, but it's a glorious tone. This reminds me that I've been meaning to pick up a stand alone version to use with my other amps (especially the C5H). Also, not sure what cabinet / speakers you are using, but G12T75's will likely help get you into that ballpark, and they sound great with a NMV Marshall. Since I went back to the 75's a couple of years ago, I haven't even plugged into my other cabs (actually thinking of dumping them, but they look cool, so ... yeah lol).
It seems a YJM pedal is probably an important factor and looks like the used market is where to find those gadgets today.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score

Kuga

Reaction score
Sorry man, but to be honest it’s kind of a silly question,… imo.
I'm so sorry. I respect your opinion. I can see on this Forum that the meaning of my question has been misinterpreted. It was not my intention. I thought it would be fun. If there was a 2203X, 1959, SV20, SC20, a JTM45,.. (popular amps) on the list, it probably would have been a more attractive question.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. I respect your opinion. I can see on this Forum that the meaning of my question has been misinterpreted. It was not my intention. I thought it would be fun. If there was a 2203X, 1959, SV20, SC20, a JTM45,.. (popular amps) on the list, it probably would have been a more attractive question.

You have a heck of a good collection of interesting amps, dude. Sometimes I like to play a little game with myself when someone has a great collection listed out like that ... I'll pretend the person invited me over for dinner, and as a parting gift, tells me I can take any of the amps home with me ... then I sit there and ponder which one I'd like to have! Yours is a tough list to choose from.

Kuga

Reaction score
You have a heck of a good collection of interesting amps, dude. Sometimes I like to play a little game with myself when someone has a great collection listed out like that ... I'll pretend the person invited me over for dinner, and as a parting gift, tells me I can take any of the amps home with me ... then I sit there and ponder which one I'd like to have! Yours is a tough list to choose from.
It's hard choise for myself everyday what amp to play with. I try use ofen all of them. That's a reason why I ask for help.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's hard choise for myself everyday what amp to play with. I try use ofen all of them. That's a reason why I ask for help.

Well, I suggested the VM & SJ … how did they sound? I’m imagining the VM on HDR fwiw.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to apologize bro, this forum is a free and open exchange of ideas and opinions!

It’s all good man. :)

Last edited:

Kuga

Reaction score
Well, I suggested the VM & SJ … how did they sound? I’m imagining the VM on HDR fwiw.
The VM & SJ are totally different amps. The VM on LDR it's like a JTM. Best clean tones than a SJ. On LDR It eat pedals amazingly. It's the best amp to use pedals in front that I own. On HDR it's ok but the SJ it's much better for Hi Gain tones. Lead tones on the SJ are much better than VM on HDR.

On other hand the Astoria Custom has great lead / higain tones as SJ has but It sounds brighter than a SJ.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The VM & SJ are totally different amps. The VM on LDR it's like a JTM. Best clean tones than a SJ. On LDR It eat pedals amazingly. It's the best amp to use pedals in front that I own. On HDR it's ok but the SJ it's much better for Hi Gain tones. Lead tones on the SJ are much better than VM on HDR.

On other hand the Astoria Custom has great lead / higain tones as SJ has but It sounds brighter than a SJ.

Yeah, I've had a couple of VM's ... both the combo as well as the 2266 head ... great amps! Not sure why, but for the song you were playing, those were the first two amps to jump out at me as maybe being an interesting choice.

proxy

Reaction score
To me, it is not the amp but speaker.
There is too much bass and mud.
You need something that will be crisp and punchy.
Any Marshall will do it as it is what it does.
Get some XCs.
Let us know how it goes.

Kuga

Reaction score
To me, it is not the amp but speaker.
There is too much bass and mud.
You need something that will be crisp and punchy.
Any Marshall will do it as it is what it does.
Get some XCs.
Let us know how it goes.
You are right. Speakers are really important. Here with a VM2466. Less bass.

What are XCs?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I voted Astoria Custom. I have a Dual combo. I reckon it's the best combo amp Marshall has ever made. The Custom definitely has more gain, but lacks the clean channel.
If you have never played through an Astoria, you really don't know what you're missing.

Kuga

Reaction score
I voted Astoria Custom. I have a Dual combo. I reckon it's the best combo amp Marshall has ever made. The Custom definitely has more gain, but lacks the clean channel.
If you have never played through an Astoria, you really don't know what you're missing.
Great amps the Astoria series. You are right the Custom has more gain. The Celestion Marshall G12H 75 CC speakers are Amazing with open back cabinets. I tryed face to face the Dual vs the Custom. Both great amps but the Custom it's the loudest.

Latest posts