3 Marshall DSL 20 HR Hissing In Idle

• Thread starter Hiss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antmax

Reaction score
My early 2018 one has no hiss with volumes at 0. It has the problem where only the gain knob changes the loudness of the headphone/line out. Otherwise it works great. I didn't bother trying to get the lineout fixed in case it changed something because it sounds really good.

Hiss

Reaction score
Yes i am located in Europe.

I just sit down in front of the amp and half hour ago, turn it in 20W Mode. All on Zero, nothing in Input.
Then i turned(rotate? correct word?) the Speaker Cabel in 8Ohm Input from left to right and the Hiss changes the intensity and was gone for a few seconds...(I DONT pulled it!^^)
so just curious. Is it the Speaker Input that makes the Hiss? I checked 3 different Cables, from cheap to expensive.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes i am located in Europe.

I just sit down in front of the amp and half hour ago, turn it in 20W Mode. All on Zero, nothing in Input.
Then i turned(rotate? correct word?) the Speaker Cabel in 8Ohm Input from left to right and the Hiss changes the intensity and was gone for a few seconds...(I DONT pulled it!^^)
so just curious. Is it the Speaker Input that makes the Hiss? I checked 3 different Cables, from cheap to expensive.
I am sorry for your misfortune with this amp,I also would say go with the 40cr, but I am not sure of your conditions. Cheers to getting a good no hiss unit. Mitch

Antmax

Reaction score
Not sure about the speaker cable. It's a good idea to keep all audio signal cables including the speaker cable away from the AC power cables and wall outlet. A cheap speaker cable can pick up noises from the power cable and send them on to the speaker. I'm not sure if that would still happen with the volume at 0 though.

It's like if you have your guitar cable plugged into the amp without the guitar attached and move the plug around the room. Move it close to power cables, lights etc and you will get buzz/hum. And cables carrying a signal can do this if they don't have good shielding. I would assume 0 volume would be 0 hiss with the speaker cable too but I could be wrong.

Hiss

Reaction score
Cables are all away from such signals. also used other room and house in the middle of a room. nothing changed the hiss.
if i use my orange after the hissing dsl, there is no noise with the orange.same room, cables etc

Hiss

Reaction score
I just contacted Thomann that i want a new one.
I send this back, i never had that before, this will be my fourth DSL20HR

So i keep Fingers crossed and will come back with Infos when the new DSL is here

@youtube. i dont have there an account.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Yes but with all Knobs set to Zero with no Guitar in the Input a Hissing cause of more Gain?
And the Presence and Reverb make this to an Storm ^^
I have made a phone Video but dont know how i could post that here.

At the two other DSLs i got i thought also about a bad tube, i changed V1 but that dosnt changed the Hiss.
The Same Hiss Sound you can hear with Headphones via Emu Out while in Standby. With Reverb and Presence you mean you hear Industrial Music ^^

so my three and the one at Thomann has huge Amount of Hiss. The Guitar Guy at Thomann told me after he saw my Video with the Hiss, that for him it is too loud.

I will see what Marshall UK will answer. German Marshall Distributor was no help.

I dont want to blame this DSL Series, i like it, but if there are quiet DSL20s i want one too!
If not, then i must buy something else.

A lot of players complained about hiss / wind noises with new DSL amps.
Some of them had it fixed at the service center.
Some of them received a replacement circuit board...
Some of them exchanged the amp.
Some of them said that the problem was fixed (finally).

But you will find posts all over the forum concerning wind noise in new DSL amps....seems to be a wide spread issue.

Hiss

Reaction score
Marshall UK send my Email to the German Marshall Distribution.I got an Answer
They told me that is is impossible to get a quiet DSL with all Knobs at Zero cause it has no Master Volume and the Power Amp is always full acutated.
I could send them to them that they check if there is a malfunction

I will see what the new one will do with the hiss, if this 4th also hiss i will send it for repair to marshall.
while that i play orange.;)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of players complained about hiss / wind noises with new DSL amps.
Some of them had it fixed at the service center.
Some of them received a replacement circuit board...
Some of them exchanged the amp.
Some of them said that the problem was fixed (finally).

But you will find posts all over the forum concerning wind noise in new DSL amps....seems to be a wide spread issue.
Yes, absolutely! But it seems to me it’s mostly the 20 and not quite as pervasive with the 40.

Also, I haven’t heard any of these “hiss” problems with the 100 or the 1. I’m not saying it’s not happening, it’s just I haven’t heard about any.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you made a good decision @Hiss,...

When we spend our hard earned money on a product, we should receive a product that works properly!

Hiss

Reaction score
yes i think a last try is it worth.
payed 400euro, my first two i payed 369 but after the second i thought that cant be true, i must order somewhere else maybe they have batch with malfunction.
so it is worth to pay 30euro more i thought but same story haha:applause:

ill keep you updated

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
Marshall support can be frustrating. When I posted on the My Marshall support forum about my DSL line out/headphone problem, where volume did nothing and gain was the only way to change the level. They said that was normal and working as intended. When someone who got a different response by email contradicted them, Marshall deleted their post.

A bit annoying since we already know some people sent them in to be fixed and the mod before and after photos showed some resistor changes, those with the FX loop problem had a hookup wire routed differently.

Last edited:

RobV

Reaction score
Mine has a little more noise than my TSA amps but it isn't anymore prominent than when compared to my Laney AOR30/JCM800/Fender HRD/Blues Deluxe/Artiste 30.....if you get my meaning? Tube amps aren't dead quiet or that has been my experience. As soon as you hit a note it's gone :p I hope I don't develop any of the issues you guys have had though :(

Hiss

Reaction score
Hello together.

The 4. DSL20HR is here......
Same Build Date 02 2019. Same Tubes. TAD EL 34 with Gold Marshall Branding. Two 12AX7 with Red Marshall Branding and one with Grey Branding

So the new one has also Hiss in Idle(all Controls ZERO) but its not so loud like the other three.
In 20W Mode at this one the Hiss is about so loud like the other three on 10W Mode. So quiter.
Also now i could use the Reverb nearly full before it goes crazy.
The Presence Control i now also can use more before it went annoying.

The Emulated Out also Hiss and has some Crackling , is that normal? I dont have any Experience with Emulated Out.
Footswitch works without plop and FX Loop works also as it should.

so i think i can deal with it...or should i try a fifth? :D

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello together.

Same Build Date 02 2019. Same Tubes. TAD EL 34 with Gold Marshall Branding. Two 12AX7 with Red Marshall Branding and one with Grey Branding

So the new one has also Hiss in Idle(all Controls ZERO) but its not so loud like the other three.
In 20W Mode at this one the Hiss is about so loud like the other three on 10W Mode. So quiter.

The Emulated Out also Hiss and has some Crackling , is that normal? I dont have any Experience with Emulated Out.

That my brother is up to you, #5 may have more problems, it’s a 50/50 crap shoot, all of my tube amps hiss a bit, dsl40c’s origin 50H Orange th 30 ect

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
Hello together.

I just had another look at mine. At 0 volume there is a slight hiss and tiny bit of crackling. I can't hear it 2 feet away with the ceiling fan or computer on. It really is quite quiet. But if I put my ear a few inches from my 2x12 I can hear it. With volume at 0 it doesn't really change between 10w and 20w mode. With volume added the two channels are obviously different. Cranked the hiss is quite loud.

At home I usually play with the volume between 1/4 and 1/2. But I do have a EQ in the loop to cut up to 12db. Unless I do something crazy with distortion and overdrive the noise floor isn't enough to bother me when playing.

Hiss

Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow yes that would be my thought, maybe the #5 will be have something else. 50/50 you are right.

@Antmax do you can change your hiss with reverb and presence?

Antmax

Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow yes that would be my thought, maybe the #5 will be have something else. 50/50 you are right.

@Antmax do you can change your hiss with reverb and presence?

Yeah the hiss does change slightly with reverb and presence. It doesn't really get louder so much as change tone. I actually EQ a bit oddly with this amp and prefer higher presence and minimal treble most of the time. That gives it a slightly thicker more vintage vibe.

I don't normally use reverb though, I have a pedal for that. I just tried it just now to respond to your question.

Latest posts