3 Marshall DSL 20 HR Hissing In Idle

• Thread starter Hiss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Some hiss is fairly normal with high-gain tube amps. All my three amps hiss and hum a little, and it becomes more pronounced with higher volume, gain, and presence settings. I had a severe hiss with my DSL15C after a tube change. Turned out it was biased too hot (it may have drifted). After the rebias, it was almost dead quiet. My DSL20CR hisses a touch more than my DSL15C, but it is negligible.

Hiss

Reaction score
@Antmax , thank you for testing this with your DSL20.
So i will keep it now. Maybe if you are able to check, did your Emulated Out also Crackle and Hiss with Headphones while the DSL is in Standby?

@Seventh Son , yes a fair amount of Hiss i would accept, but the last three where unplayable

Seventh Son

Reaction score
@Antmax , thank you for testing this with your DSL20.
So i will keep it now. Maybe if you are able to check, did your Emulated Out also Crackle and Hiss with Headphones while the DSL is in Standby?

@Seventh Son , yes a fair amount of Hiss i would accept, but the last three where unplayable
That is very strange, and regrettable. Sorry to hear you had such a streak of bad luck. I hope you can resolve the hiss problems.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
My emulated out doesn't (nor didn't) crackle or hiss, but I have that issue where the volume knob doesn't properly control it.

Again, I believe this was exclusive to the early builds, and Marshall has addressed it in subsequent builds.

Antmax

Reaction score
My emulated out doesn't (nor didn't) crackle or hiss, but I have that issue where the volume knob doesn't properly control it.

Again, I believe this was exclusive to the early builds, and Marshall has addressed it in subsequent builds.

Same as JeffMcLeod. I have an early, I think it was Jan 2018 build. You can only control the sound level with the gain knob which is less than ideal for headphones lol. Some people say that headphones were an afterthought and it's really a line level for a mixer. Naturally if you amplify the sound to raise the volume you get more hiss.

Mine doesn't crackle or hiss unless I amplify the signal in my interface/mixer. It's not that great for headphones due to the volume knob not doing anything. I actually asked Marshall and they said it was working as intended. I figured BS, especially when some people had already had theirs repaired and shared their email correspondence with another Marshall employee. Support is a bit disappointing and what answer you get seems to depend on which representative you hook up with.

Hiss

Reaction score
I would say the newer Versions, i have had 4 from 02 2019 still have Issues.
But at all the Volume Controll at Emulated Out works! Only White Noise in Idle and Hiss in Emulated Out, some with crackling and Hum, three of them unplayable. Now the 4th has a fair Amount of Hiss at Idle, so i decided to keep this one.Not what i wanted but what if the 5. would hiss more or has some other Issue, i dont want to play Postman anymore ^^
If i raise the Gain and Volume in Ultra Gain Channel the "normal high Gain" Hiss is not so loud as assumed. So thats really good and i wonder why cause there are then two different Hiss Sounds. That Idle Hiss and when you Crank it some other Hiss lays on the Idle Hiss ;-)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is some crazy stuff! There are guys that have gone through 3 or 4 different Dsl20s, only to keep the last one they received even though they’re not happy with it,.....but they keep it for fear of the next one being worse!!

I think at some point, maybe two amps, I’d pay the extra $150 and get a Dsl40. It has more options and the build quality seems to be better. :shrug:

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
This is some crazy stuff! There are guys that have gone through 3 or 4 different Dsl20s, only to keep the last one they received even though they’re not happy with it,.....but they keep it for fear of the next one being worse!!

I think at some point, maybe two amps, I’d pay the extra $150 and get a Dsl40. It has more options and the build quality seems to be better. :shrug:

If you don't mind a combo then the 40 is a no brainer. I had enough of combos and wanted a smaller size head I could put on a vertical 2x12, out of reach of my three pug dogs. they occasionally chew on knobs. Otherwise I would have gotten one of those.

Last edited:

Hiss

Reaction score
I will keep this one. again, it has still a hiss(but quieter) but i dont like combos...i only buy heads. so there are no any other options and i wanted a new toy ^^
in the next two weeks i will swap the tubes, maybe there will be a change with the hiss, but i cant believe that 4 DSL have bad tubes.

Antmax

Reaction score
I will keep this one. again, it has still a hiss(but quieter) but i dont like combos...i only buy heads. so there are no any other options and i wanted a new toy ^^
in the next two weeks i will swap the tubes, maybe there will be a change with the hiss, but i cant believe that 4 DSL have bad tubes.

You can reduce the noisefloor with different preamp tubes but it might change the character of the amp too. Lower gain ones, or ones with less pronounced highs and/or are known to be less microphonic usually have less noise like hiss.

You can check this page out for a rough ballpark of how they might behave. The stock Marshall branded tubes are either JJ or generic Chinese ones.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-corner/12ax7-comparison-current-made-tubes

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind a combo then the 40 is a no brainer. I had enough of combos and wanted a smaller size head I could put on a vertical 2x12, out of reach of my three pug dogs. they occasionally chew on knobs. Otherwise I would have gotten one of those.
Yup I get that,.....actually a Dsl40hr would be pretty cool!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact,...a Dsl5hr would be cool too! :cool:

I’d buy one of those,...

Hiss

Reaction score
Anyone knows if the fxloop in the dsl20 is serial or parallel?

Antmax

Reaction score
I believe it's a series FX loop with a buffer. So once it leaves the pre amp send it's a line in impedence signal not instrument level. Some effects pedals are instrument out and non switchable. When you use a pedal set to instrument level output you might get tone suck and lower volume unless you put a buffer at the end of the FX Loop chain before it returns to the power amp.

Last edited:

Hiss

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.
i was thinking about an noisegate, like Boss NS2 to put this in the FX Loop to get more hiss away.
On 10W i can deal with the Hiss but 20W it isnt quiet as i would like.
anyway i will play mostly in 10W here in my house but maybe i could change it i bid with a noisegate.

Latest posts