3 Marshall DSL 20 HR Hissing In Idle

• Thread starter Hiss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deerhunter1972

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.
i was thinking about an noisegate, like Boss NS2 to put this in the FX Loop to get more hiss away.
On 10W i can deal with the Hiss but 20W it isnt quiet as i would like.
anyway i will play mostly in 10W here in my house but maybe i could change it i bid with a noisegate.
Send it back. It took me 3 returns, but I now have a dead silent Head that rocks. Absolutely zero problems with it. No weird noises, emulated out works perfect, volume controls work with headphone. Only dislike I have is a "popping" noise when switching from ultra gain to classic gain at low levels. Although, if both volume levels are above 12 o'clock, I get no popping. I use a Weber Minimass 50 attenuater with volume levels dimed into a Avatar Vintage 212 with UK Greenbacks, and it is pure tone heaven!

Hiss

Reaction score
Honestly i thought about that. When in sit here in my Room, put it on 20W i can hear it 5m away from it.
i wouldnt play on 20w but it makes me mad that if i would use it this way the hiss would very high.
i just contacted thomann ^^

on 10w its there but not so loud and quieter then the other three before

Marshall told me that this is normal,but i cant believe that

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly i thought about that. When in sit here in my Room, put it on 20W i can hear it 5m away from it.
i wouldnt play on 20w but it makes me mad that if i would use it this way the hiss would very high.
i just contacted thomann ^^

on 10w its there but not so loud and quieter then the other three before

Marshall told me that this is normal,but i cant believe that
I think at this point I’d return it and get the Dsl40cr or a Dsl5cr,.....Do you gig @Hiss? If not you should really consider the Dsl5cr, it’s a great little amp, and with virtually no problems!

There seems to be way too many people having problems with the Dsl20,....and you don’t hear anywhere near the number of problems with the 1, 5, or 40 Dslcrs. The 20 seems to be plagued with noise problems!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m soooo happy I didn’t get the Dsl20!

I was all set last December to order a Dsl20hr, but I decided to wait to see what, if anything, Marshall would release at NAMM.

When I saw the Studio Series Marshall released I knew I wanted a JCM800 Studio Classic 20 watt head!

So I bought one and have no regrets whatsoever!

Hiss

Reaction score
So, DSL20HR is in the Mail and no new ordered.
I will take some month to see if there will be a change in this DSL Story. Then i will order again.
@scozz no i dont gig only jam in my room and cellar but i dont like combos.. why they dont make a dsl5 Head? Why?^^

@Marshy thanks for your posting. i was thinking about to look indside my last one and make gutshots, but decided to not cause of warranty.
this hiss at mine must come from power amp, the only think that change the Hiss is Presence and Resonance add some light Hum.
No Other Knob change it. If you crank it there comes a second hiss(the normal hiss we all know) so in the end you can hear two types of hiss if you dont play and know
after hearing it for hours which is the idle one and which the Gain Hiss....
crazy shit ^^

EDIT:
Just thought about the Marshall DSL1HR, anyone knows if this also could have Hiss?Would it sound much different to the DSL20HR?
EDIT2: Ok i read of one Review on Thomann where the User send his Dsl1CR back cause of high Noise...second one also have had that ;-)
So DSL1 naaahhh..

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
So, DSL20HR is in the Mail and no new ordered.
I will take some month to see if there will be a change in this DSL Story. Then i will order again.
@scozz no i dont gig only jam in my room and cellar but i dont like combos.. why they dont make a dsl5 Head? Why?^^

@Marshy thanks for your posting. i was thinking about to look indside my last one and make gutshots, but decided to not cause of warranty.
this hiss at mine must come from power amp, the only think that change the Hiss is Presence and Resonance add some light Hum.
No Other Knob change it. If you crank it there comes a second hiss(the normal hiss we all know) so in the end you can hear two types of hiss if you dont play and know
after hearing it for hours which is the idle one and which the Gain Hiss....
crazy shit ^^

EDIT:
Just thought about the Marshall DSL1HR, anyone knows if this also could have Hiss?Would it sound much different to the DSL20HR?
EDIT2: Ok i read of one Review on Thomann where the User send his Dsl1CR back cause of high Noise...second one also have had that ;-)
So DSL1 naaahhh..
Try the origin 20 H, you may find it has very little gain but a good clean boost is all I need for my 50 H

Antmax

Reaction score
A couple of video reviews had the DSL1h being really bright without much balls. My 20h is noticeably thicker sounding than my old generation 5c even though the 5c has a big 12" in it. I hear the new gen is voiced a bit darker too.

Here's one guy who reviewed the 1h and wasn't in love with it.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand, I wish they did make a 5 watt head,...I would buy one!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT:
So DSL1 naaahhh..

The Dsl1hr is great,...I own one. No hiss, great tone. I can’t compare it to other Dsls because I don’t own any other Dsls, but I’ve heard from some guys that do, and they say the Dsl1hr is the best sounding Dsl!!

The only drawback is it’s only one watt, so that puts a limit on volume and maybe some other things, I don’t know. But it does have reverb and a effects loop.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of video reviews had the DSL1h being really bright without much balls. My 20h is noticeably thicker sounding than my old generation 5c even though the 5c has a big 12" in it. I hear the new gen is voiced a bit darker too.

Here's one guy who reviewed the 1h and wasn't in love with it.

Yeah, I don’t know where McKnight gets the too bright thing because it’s not there! Maybe he’s playing it thru a Seventy/80 speaker.

The Dsl1hr has virtually perfect balance between highs, mids, and lows,...my has plenty of low end. I play mine thru a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback and it sounds great!

Hiss

Reaction score
Hi Guys
after i send the DSL20 back i got an HT5 MK2 and i like it but i miss the Dirt in the Tone which the DSL20 made.
Now a Friend of me got the DSL1HR. I tested it with my 2x12 and i liked it and pulled the Trigger ^^
So now its here the DSL1HR, an old Modell from 12/2017
The crazy Thing with this is, if i have the Treble at 12oclock and turn the Treble lower to the left, the Highs went but the Volume of the Tone increase.
Is that normal? This is only on Classic Gain, on Ultra Gain it works like it should. Left > Highs low, Right > Highs high with no Change in the Volume of the Tone.

Maybe i am cursed :)

Last edited:

Hiss

Reaction score
Hmmm, may i ask the same Question in this 1 Watt Thread?
Not that some think, why the fxck he ask the same question in two threads

dslman

Reaction score
So it's earned a nickname, DSL20HisseR
I consider what's being described as defective, considering other amps 50's and 100's are almost silent, you'd think a little 20 watter would be the same.

dslman

Reaction score

Too bad this head has issues, but I wonder how many don't.

slowgear

Reaction score
Got mine today and I‘m already searching for mods... :D
Explanation for the hiss from a german mod expert:
...not able to post a link because of restrictions... remove the space in url

www. captain-koerg .de /amp-mods/marshall-mods

Translated part related to the hiss:
He writes that the hiss is caused by the fx loop and reverb design. There are two versions:

1. Version: Volume control in front of the DSP-Board. The amp hisses with volume at 0. If you hit a string with reverb maxed at 100% you are not able to dial down the reverb tail by turning down the volume.
That‘s the newer and basically the better version.

Pro: fx loop depends on the volume control and not only on gain control.
Same thing relates to the headphone out.

Con: Amp is hissing

2. Version: volume control after the DSP-Board. You can dial down all the noise and also the reverb tail depends on the volume control.

Pro: no hiss.

Con: volume issue on fx loop and headphone out.

He offers to add a PPIMV right in front of the power amp tubes to fix version 1.

So maybe some of you received an „older“ version by getting the 4th or 5th amp?

The only thing that I don‘t like is the enormous amount of treble even when it‘s dialed down and a neck pu is selected.

Last edited:

Antmax

Reaction score
Got mine today and I‘m already searching for mods... :D
Explanation for the hiss from a german mod expert:
...not able to post a link because of restrictions... remove the space in url

www. captain-koerg .de /amp-mods/marshall-mods

Translated part related to the hiss:
He writes that the hiss is caused by the fx loop and reverb design. There are two versions:

1. Version: Volume control in front of the DSP-Board. The amp hisses with volume at 0. If you hit a string with reverb maxed at 100% you are not able to dial down the reverb tail by turning down the volume.
That‘s the newer and basically the better version.

Pro: fx loop depends on the volume control and not only on gain control.
Same thing relates to the headphone out.

Con: Amp is hissing

2. Version: volume control after the DSP-Board. You can dial down all the noise and also the reverb tail depends on the volume control.

Pro: no hiss.

Con: volume issue on fx loop and headphone out.

He offers to add a PPIMV right in front of the power amp tubes to fix version 1.

So maybe some of you received an „older“ version by getting the 4th or 5th amp?

The only thing that I don‘t like is the enormous amount of treble even when it‘s dialed down and a neck pu is selected.

A lot of us have treble (pre amp EQ) way down between 0 and 3 and use presence (power amp EQ) turned up instead.

There's actually more bass than you think, just its easy to saturate the highs. Especially if you try playing at low volume, The amp doesn't really come to life and fill out till 9'oclock or higher unless you have something like an attenuator or volume pedal in the loop to act like a master volume on the DSL20.

Don't assume that 12 o'clock should be a normal generic setting. Tweak the knobs till you get the sound you are looking for. Quite a few guitarists start with everything at 0 and dial in a tone by adding what they need.

Latest posts