4 and a half years in the making... NGD incoming (Soundclip included)

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I have a GLP Standard T in Fire Burst. A Gibson finish they don't use very often, as far as I can tell. Seems to be a lot like what you could want, almost a Tobacco burst, but with a little more red and popping flames. Mine came with plastics like yours, but I switched to black and gold, for a good reason that's not necessary in this discussion. So, before and after. The after was with the sun shining and shows the top better.

View attachment 155219

View attachment 155220

This guitar is STUNNING in person.

:cheers:

Thank you very much for that extrordinary finish suggestion! That looks great, I downloaded the pictures for my luthier to see :D

Very bad ass I must say and looks to be top shelf all the way ! Just re read your post and seen that the Pickups are Haussel .

Yeah, what ARE the pickups? :hmm::D

That is pretty much THE sound I look for in a neck pickup!

Beautiful. Gonna be a looker when shes done. Love the way it sounds as well. Those PUPs are rich and powerful. Thanks for the info on them!

Finally put a fresh set of strings on the guitar yesterday and took the time to make some pictures of the underside of the pickups to identify the exact models:

8bd2313f-6497-44ec-a862-0a0624a31342.jpeg512d3757-da2c-4288-95cb-e8d19fa03e55.jpeg

So we have the 1956 P90 in the neck and the 1959 Custom Plus in the bridge.

According to the website the 56 model P90 is a slightly underwound Alnico 5 pickup for vintage accurate response and the 1959 Custom Plus Model is an overwound Alnico 5 based PAF. Their flagship model.

Very happy with both pickups. They sound AWESOME :D

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Little update guys:

IMG_3720.jpeg0c3e7b8e-a746-40ea-844b-f7a03da44bc8.jpeg

Spent the better half of my vacation with the guitar in hands. I can confirm now that my search for my perfect Les Paul is over.

She feels amazing to play, sounds great, looks stunning and is as comfortable as it gets.

I'll be real sad when I have to hand her back over for laquering... but oh boy will she be a looker once she's done!

I'll be posting a new thread once the moment has come. :D

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny, I noticed both of these things when I saw it at that angle, but I wasn't going to say anything.
Me three,… the thick binding really stood out to me.

Beautiful Lp though, reminds me ever so slightly of my lowly Studio,…

Last edited:

GuitarIV

Reaction score
Looks amazing.

Have you considered a clear finish?

Gotta be a good feeling!

Curious… is the binding wider than standard spec?

Looks great! It looks like it could use some lower profile pup rings though.

That's funny, I noticed both of these things when I saw it at that angle, but I wasn't going to say anything.

Me three,… the thick binding really stood out to me.

Beautiful Lp though, reminds me ever so slightly of my lowly Studio,…

Well guys, this friday is the day, I'm handing her back over to my luthier.

In regards to the pickup rings and the binding:

He already told me he has to shave the rings down, he builds his LPs with a narrower neck angle so the bridge and the tailpiece can be lower. He told me that on pretty much all of the originals from the golden years he had in hands this was the way they did it.

So yeah, the pickup rings will be shaved down :)

The binding is thicker as well, that is by his design. I don't mind it though, my girlfriend said it makes it look like a cut up cake with perfect layers and I kinda agree with her. She's a Patissier btw hahaha

In regards to the finish... I have considered keeping it natural and quite a few people have made that suggestion... but... I love a nice burst on a Les Paul, especially when there's no guard on.

So this is the picture that won my heart:

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-28 at 10.10.46 (17).jpeg

It's like a cross between a Tobacco and a Honey Burst, I like the slightly darker edges that still let some flame shine through. The golden hue in combination with the rings and the knobs fits really well.

So this picture will be my reference and on friday I'll be spending time with my luthier to determine the final result.

Tomorrow I'll take her to rehearsal with me one last time so I can crank her up before I let her go again. I'm already sad, but I'm also very stoked on the final result.

I'll keep ya posted! Cheers!