5150 Iconic....Wow!

• Thread starter Bloodrock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Musical instrument rental isn't a new concept. Even for guitars. Some places even let you rent amplifiers.

Many Ma & Pop shops keep their doors open by renting instruments to kids in school for band. Most parents don't want to spend the money on something a kid won't stick with and take the near term more affordable option of rental.

A lot of shops in major cities will rent to gigging musicians.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Check this out, not spamming Lol.

Just noticed this to day on line, and when you made your post..... There is no way this can be a good idea- on any level Lol.

I had no idea!
Thanks for the very useful information!

PowerTube44

Reaction score
It got so fuking rediculous. Definitely know where my lanes are. To each their own but I almost feel I need therapy after all the stoopid chuggernaughts doing the same shit that made me hate any amp used that way.

Like I already said. One amp vid I found struck me.ONE! I didn't even know the amp existed. Because of my timing I got it for $900 and it's the only amp I'm playing since. I really want to keep enjoying what this 5150 does for me. Great features too.
I meant to ask you... do you by any chance have a link to this video? I've seen a few I like, buried under all of the chugging BS.

Solid State

Reaction score
It's amazing how much this line of Iconics coming out pushed the price of some of their other amps up. The 5150 EL34 50 water was 1000 bucks a couple of years back and it's 1500 now. Biggest price increase I've seen since COVID

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Love this amp!

Bro, stop posting these videos! I'm not going to lie they are making me want one haha!

I honestly don't really play a style or sound that this amp would be suited for but this amp looks like a fucking blast to plug into and let off some steam!

This is by far the best sounding EVH amp and what I'd expect an amp with EVH on it to sound like! They really nailed it with this one and I think it has the perfect blend of Eddie's early "brown sound" and the sound he developed in the Peavey 5150 years.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bro, stop posting these videos! I'm not going to lie they are making me want one haha!

I honestly don't really play a style or sound that this amp would be suited for but this amp looks like a fucking blast to plug into and let off some steam!

This is by far the best sounding EVH amp and what I'd expect an amp with EVH on it to sound like! They really nailed it with this one and I think it has the perfect blend of Eddie's early "brown sound" and the sound he developed in the Peavey 5150 years.
That 5150 412 cab sounded pretty good too. I think they did a phenomenal job on tone/feature plus a great 412 cab/speaker choice to run it through.:agreed:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
That 5150 412 cab sounded pretty good too. I think they did a phenomenal job on tone/feature plus a great 412 cab/speaker choice to run it through.:agreed:
The iconic sure is one up the arse of the cork sniffing purists ain’t it that say you need a certain guitar with certain pup , certain amp with variac , bla , bla , bla .

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The iconic sure is one up the arse of the cork sniffing purists ain’t it that say you need a certain guitar with certain pup , certain amp with variac , bla , bla , bla .
You and me know string benderz can't play enough to get my attention ! Feel sorry for guitarist who love to play and switch this amp on and find WTF! Whoop!

It rips. Don't play EVH. It rips. Sorry the amp rips!

Full on dumb ass! Or I'm Fucking stoopid and nuts!?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had never even heard of Eddie Van Halen, the Iconic is still one of the best sounding "hot rodded Marshalls" I've ever heard.
That's where I put it too. So much fun. Big bottom, mids and highs. Ya don't have to chug. It's a choice. If it wasn't Marshally I'd be meh. It is and rips. Best of both rhythm and soloing tones. Solid.

radiomatts

Reaction score
Got an iconic this week and all iconic say is wow! I've owned at least 15 Marshalls over thr years, as well as several of the EVH branded amps. The jubilee an 800 have always been my favorite marshall circuits. I found the other EVH amps over gained,fizzy, too squishy, or a combination of things I just didn't like being a long time marshall fan. The iconic comes with a stock speaker that appears to be based on the v-type but was obviously voiced for the old school VH tones. Using this speaker I got some pretty good VH tones from the amp. Then I popped in my favorite V30... Holy shart! I will say that WITHOUT A DOUBT this Amp is based on a Marshall circuit! Not a Soldano, old 5150, current EVH. Or any of those things Ed used. This is a tweaked Marshall circuit and is easily one of the best ones I've ever played. It comes across as a near perfect hot rodded JCM800 on channel one with the boost on. Channel 2 adds bass and gain while shifting the mid frequency to a more modern metal EQ. Both channels stay tight AF no matter how much gain and all the EQ controls are very interactive. I have to honestly say to me this amp sounds almost exactly like my dream modded Marshall would. The JVM I had was not even close in terms of tone. And that's the marshall flagship. Its even better than the Ceriatones I've owned. Kudos to EVH, they've finally built one of the Marshalls we've all been wanting for years...
Congratulations on the new amp. I appreciate your review here because what I heard was that it was a remake of the first Peavey 5150 amp. This sounds like I need to check one out for myself.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I appreciate your review here because what I heard was that it was a remake of the first Peavey 5150 amp. This sounds like I need to check one out for myself.
I'm not really hearing that in the Iconic.

Are you guys?

Moony

Reaction score

Are you guys?

No me neither.

Honestly from all the videos I've seen I think the Iconic sounds quite bad.
Smeared and fizzy, dry without the "depth" and some strange, weird midrange. I recognize some "recording tricks" but they just can't completely hide the character of the gain structure.

I usually like the EVH stuff a lot and of course I will try it out if I get a chance to.
But my expectations are very low.

Rocktane

Reaction score

Are you guys?
I posted a video a while that included H. Kaplan saying the intent was to make a more affordable amp that sounded similar to the EVH 5150 III, 50W. The Iconic project was turned over to James Brown so "intent" may have changed. I've played through a couple of these Iconics and to me, they look like the Peaveys, but don't sound a lot like any previous incarnation of a 5150 amp. They have their own thing going on. (I like it by the way):metal:

Latest posts