• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

6100 channel switching problem

• Thread starter bennieusmaximus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Voltage

Reaction score
Hey Joey,I see 3 regulators on the 400 board,reg 401,reg 402 reg 403.should I replace all 3 or would that be overkill?

Just Reg401. It is the one that connects to the heater taps. If you replace this one with an LDO regulator like the one I posted, It wont drop out of regulation under heavier loads.

nikole

Reaction score
hi i m from Belgium
i ve got the same issue than you
first boot no switch channel all led off
reboot amp all ok switch perfect
did your try changing the battery
is your problem is ok now
what the solution
thanks
and sorry for my english:headbanger:
hey,deimama,I havent got the battery yet. I havent made it to the Electronics store Its about an hour away.Its hard to find time to get there,Thinkin bout looking on the web tonight.The schematic sais its a 5v Battery.I will be sure to post this if it fixes the problem or not.I dont really know the specs on the battery yet.Called the store and they sayd they could match one up for me if they did not have one.Then they told me I,d be better of to burn the Marshall..

bennieusmaximus

Reaction score
Hey there if you're still with me,I kinda ran into something and wanna run it by ya.When I was waiting for parts,I stuck in a set of spare el34s to see what would happen.What do you know...the amp has been working perfectly eversince.All the tubes in this amp are original to the amp.Could it be that the old el34's were bad and drawing to much heater current?I'm just throwing this out there cause if anyone knows you guys do.I havent put the ldo in yet.

Reaction score
Anyone got a picture where I can see the C301. I have the reset problem and I just want to see it without opening my own amp.

ACHIEVEIT

Reaction score
There you go buddy:

hot-tubes-70-albums-junk-picture3040-mar30-15.jpg

It is the small axial blue cap on the top right corner. You can read C301 if you flip the image.

This is the board behind the midi in/through connections.

Reaction score
There you go buddy:

It is the small axial blue cap on the top right corner. You can read C301 if you flip the image.

This is the board behind the midi in/through connections.

Super, now I know what I'm dealing with here. Thanks a bunch. :dude:

Reaction score
Crap, the site I'm looking at have almost 6200 capacitors. How can I find the one I need? I read somewhere that I should replace it with a 100µF cap, is that correct?

Can someone have a look? Here's the site I looked at;
https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~eu_en/elfa/init.do?toc=18727

EDIT: Found another post from you; http://www.marshallforum.com/278316-post98.html

From this information (25µF or 47µF) I found this one the site I am looking at; https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~eu_en/elfa/init.do?item=67-047-50&toc=19198

Does that one look ok?

ACHIEVEIT

Reaction score
I'll be back with an update too, when the Kt77s finally arrive (seems like an odyssey after such a long time waiting)! And thanks for the help as well, this was a great thread for all 6100 owners

rjohns1

Reaction score
Hey guys, what do you know, my 6100 acted up yesterday with the same problem. i had to turn i ton and off a couple of times to get the switching to work. Gonna do the cap replacement tonight. Scared me shitless right before we went on.

ACHIEVEIT

Reaction score
Do the cap replacement and report back. If it works for you as well, then it's another step to make this solution universal. BTW i still haven't received the kt77s, they didn't know when they would be available again so i am waiting a quad of jj e34l one of theses days

rjohns1

Reaction score
Chalk up another successful repair. I put in a 47uf, electrolytic cap rated for 35 volts (what I had on hand). Tested the startup 15 times. Worked every single one of them. I did notice now, that a few milliseconds after I hit the power switch, I see all three of the leds flash, and then it goes to the green channel.

rjohns1

Reaction score
Yep, really happy now that it was fixed. I had that nagging worry in the back of my head that I was screwed. Nice to get the info we all have here. Thanks to everyone who added to this thread.

bennieusmaximus

Reaction score
Well I,m sorry to be posting back on this thred,but I thought I should update it.After I put new tubes In th 6100 it worked perfectly......untill now.Looks like I' be putting that Reg 401 in.I'll let ya know how it goes.

bennieusmaximus

Reaction score
Well I hope I have a happy ending to this saga.Installed the new cap 301 and reg 401.All working well at this time.The fresh power tube corrected the problem for just a while,I hope this is a permanent solution.I think we will have a winner here though.Thanks to all that replyed.May the metal gods lookdown and smile on thee!

Latest posts