• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

6100 problem

• Thread starter manubro1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pinto79

Reaction score
I have to turn mine on, either all or none of the lights will come on, then off and on again and it works fine.

I can get all of the chips for these amps. The Canadian Marshall distributor has them all in stock. PM me any requests and I'll get prices.

anitoli

Reaction score
I have to turn mine on, either all or none of the lights will come on, then off and on again and it works fine.

I can get all of the chips for these amps. The Canadian Marshall distributor has them all in stock. PM me any requests and I'll get prices.

I directly contacted Marshall in 2005 and they informed me that support for the 6100 midi boards is no longer available. When the boards were available thats what they replaced the whole board not the individual chips. If someone else out there has these??? why the secrecy about the prices??? Just curious.

pinto79

Reaction score
I directly contacted Marshall in 2005 and they informed me that support for the 6100 midi boards is no longer available. When the boards were available thats what they replaced the whole board not the individual chips. If someone else out there has these??? why the secrecy about the prices??? Just curious.

It's not really secrecy. I don't have a price list, so I have to contact the parts department with specific requests. I checked a couple of years ago and they were between $15 and $35 each depending on which one it was.

Marshall don't support this amp anymore, but the Canadian distributor has some stock of everything except the PC Boards.

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Manubro - A "cap" is short hand for "capacitor". It helps regulate the current supplied in the midi circuit.

Jupiter - In this case the UVEEPROM is the chip that controls the midi switching in a 6100.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I give a shit what other guys say about the 6100 , Blah D Fucking Blah !!!
Its still a kick ass amp , and IMO , it worth fixing at all costs ......
Great tech info guys , i have learned a bunch from you 6100 Guru's !!

Good luck with the repairs !!

plexilespaul

Reaction score
It is the Read Only Memory for the 80c31 Microcontroller- it contains the operational program for the circuit.
i am confused a bit....what is the crucial part and the one that's hard to get a hold of??the 80c31 Microcontroller or the 27C64 UV EEPROM or both???
thanks
i shot you mail via a friend of mine. you did not answer the mails.
we want to order the programmed chip(the one you have in stock) and as you say the crucial part.
aviv

anitoli

Reaction score
i am confused a bit....what is the crucial part and the one that's hard to get a hold of??the 80c31 Microcontroller or the 27C64 UV EEPROM or both???
thanks
i shot you mail via a friend of mine. you did not answer the mails.
we want to order the programmed chip(the one you have in stock) and as you say the crucial part.
aviv

The ONLY part you cant just stuff in there is the 27c64-this needs to be
PROGRAMMED because the 80c31 does not have a ROM built in so the memory is external, everything else is plug and play. Keep in mind the 27c64 and 80c31 are considered obsolete and they are getting more difficult to locate.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
The ONLY part you cant just stuff in there is the 27c64-this needs to be
PROGRAMMED because the 80c31 does not have a ROM built in so the memory is external, everything else is plug and play. Keep in mind the 27c64 and 80c31 are considered obsolete and they are getting more difficult to locate.
o.k thanks mate...
did you get my order by mail through my friend? his mail is a.alagem@googlemail.com and we ordered the
27C64 UV EEPROM
please confirm
thanks

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
The "brain" 80C31 Microcontroller is not passing voltage on my 6100...do you guys think the cap swap will alleviate this problem? Still selling 80C31 Microcontroller clones, avivioni? Pretty lame these chips are only ~10-year lifespan.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Cap replacement did not fix the problem. Waiting on Marshall USA (or whatever it's called) to see what they have in stock chip-wise. If they don't have what I need, hopefully Pete's MIDI service can help.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
The "brain" 80C31 Microcontroller is not passing voltage on my 6100...do you guys think the cap swap will alleviate this problem? Still selling 80C31 Microcontroller clones, avivioni? Pretty lame these chips are only ~10-year lifespan.
anitolli a forum member sold me the chip... and since i sold my 6100 i have the spare brain chip :)

anitoli

Reaction score
Cap replacement did not fix the problem. Waiting on Marshall USA (or whatever it's called) to see what they have in stock chip-wise. If they don't have what I need, hopefully Pete's MIDI service can help.

What exactly is going on? More info please. Any led's lit or all lit?
Stuck on channel 1? Did you lose a tube, ect.

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Power tubes blew...replaced with new 6L6 quad and fuses.

All 3 LEDs dimly lit ... only clean channel sound coming through. No obvious burn marks on the pcb.

Replaced c301 cap...no change.

Tech said the "large chip" is not passing voltage...waiting to hear from Marshall regarding replacement chip...hoping your replacements are an option when he hears Marshall does not supply the chips.

Thoughts?

anitoli

Reaction score
Power tubes blew...replaced with new 6L6 quad and fuses.

All 3 LEDs dimly lit ... only clean channel sound coming through. No obvious burn marks on the pcb.

Replaced c301 cap...no change.

Tech said the "large chip" is not passing voltage...waiting to hear from Marshall regarding replacement chip...hoping your replacements are an option when he hears Marshall does not supply the chips.

Thoughts?

Ok. First verify if you are getting 5v+ at CON303 red lead. The MIDI board pulls it's power from the heater winding so you need to see if the voltage regulator/bridge rectifier/filters are ok.

Marshall discontinued these boards when they discontinued the 6100. There was a surplus of boards but these are long gone, and they arent making more. The 27c64 is an OBSOLETE part- been out of production for 10 years at least. Sometimes i REALLY have to hunt to find these, but no matter i can solve your problem.

Latest posts