'62 Bluesbreaker RI, different versions of it?

• Thread starter leofender55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leofender55

Reaction score
I'm a new member so I'll apologize if this has already been addressed, but it's a question I haven't found much info on while searching the net.

I bought a very clean Bluesbreaker reissue about 5 years ago. The chassis ID reads Tremelo 50W. After a few years I took it to my friend Ben Fargen of Fargen Amps to hotrod it. This amp was the beginning of his Hot Mod upgrades. I did a bunch of research on the original Beano Bluesbreaker and wanted to try to copy it. I ordered a set of Gold Lion KT66's and kept the original preamp tubes. Ben upgraded to his Sozo caps, changed out the output transformer, rebiased, and tweaked the tone stack. It sounds amazing and breaks up at pretty low volumes, between 2 &3.

My buddy was so impressed he found a BB reissue to buy so he could have Ben do the same to his. When we opened his up, the chassis reads JTM45. I've been curious about the different markings since. Anyone have the 411 on this?

Thanks

jack daniels

Reaction score
Did you disconnect your tremolo? I'm hearing this from several Bluesbreaker combo owners (supposedly gives one more gain). Not comparing tit for tat topologies of either amp mentioned but, the circuits should be fairly close to one another with the exception of the tremolo circuit found in your Bluesbreaker combo.

frankyfal

Reaction score
Why **** with the amp? It breaks up on 2........Are you looking to play Iron Maiden on a Bluesbreaker?

Last edited:

leofender55

Reaction score
It breaks up around 2-3 now AFTER the mods, with a nice slow gain as the volume is increased. I might also add that it responds to touch on the guitar a lot better and sustains like crazy, with a long volume decay. I like the tremolo, set it very slight and it gives a nice depth to the tone.

frankyfal

Reaction score
I have never played one, but I find it hard to believe a $2699 amp needs any modifications. It is discouraging to read that stock k66's the caps and the power transformer on this amp need to be replaced to achieve decent touch sensitivity and a gradual gain with increasing volume. The weight of the combo had me looking towards a JTM45 at one time, but I still look for them used in hopes of grabbing one someday. You said this was a used amp. How old is it?

jack daniels

Reaction score
Frank, just reading LF55's upgrade details leads me to believe his upgrades are not really hot rodded in the way you're taking it to mean. Quality tone caps, possibly a radio spares OT, component value changes to that of the original BB amp like LF55 mentions won't make the amp a street rod with speakers. The choice of KT66 tube type and hardness, and the bias setting will affect where and when the amp will clip and how it will react at various volume levels. Now all he needs is a deeper 2x12" replica combo cabinet to better replicate the original BB cab dimensions.

leofender55

Reaction score
Thanks JD, you are correct. I'm not sure of the year, but I bought it around 5 years ago from an older gentleman that played in a country band. The amp was too heavy for him so he sold it to me for $1100. The tubes cost $150 and the bill from Fargen was just over $200. You are correct about the cab, but I'm not sure I'm going that far. I took the stock 5881 power tubes and put them in my Vibro King. I've seen different tubes come stock in the BB reissues.

leftywillcox

Reaction score
I bought a bluesbreaker reissue 9 mnths ago, was always a dream of mine to have one and i am quite dissapointed with it to be honest.

Purchased second hand, i sent it to my usual techs in Essex who are great and have modded plenty of amps for me in the past..

I had them install a post phase inverter master volume on it, golden lion kt 66, new 12ax7s etc had a few value changes, even installed a push pull pot for the tremolo, but its just disappointing. And ive spent 330 pounds uk modding it..

Thing is, my 74 lead and bass head jmp also has a ppimv and sounds incredible and has the tone of the origional Bluesbreaker?

The blues breaker just feels sterile, no growl? And sustain is nothing compared to the jmp.. It sounds funny but i can feel each note i play on the jmp, i gues thqt is sag? But the bb just feels lifeless, almost like an el84 amp like a peavey classic 30( i know jtm45 is based on a bassman, that dosnt explain what im talking about :) )

Any ideas?

So.. Do i need to replace the output transformers? Or anything else?

Its not a bad sounding amp, but the ri is no bluesbreaker