707 vs Blackouts

• Thread starter backyardburial
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

backyardburial

Reaction score
Has anyone here replaced an EMG 707 with the SD blackouts, Ive heard they are pretty cool, but due to cost of them over here would like opinions of anyone who has done it esp if you play a Marshall, I got a 900 and a 900 SLX, and Ibanez RG7420, cheers!

RED4100

Reaction score
i have been using blackouts through a jcm900 and it smokes the emg pickups in every way IMO. i have changed all my emg guitars now and will never go back. with exception to emg-25 pickups, id love to get my hands on a pair of them for my sg.

RachelMorgan

Reaction score
I had EMGs on my Hellraiser. I have a Blackout on my Alexi. The Blackout smokes the EMGs through the JVM.

steelhorse

Reaction score
I like both, but they're fairly close imo. As I stated earlier, I think the Duncan's are warmer and smoother while the EMG's have more bite and sting.

But here's the thing, I don't keep my EMG's 9V. I always, and I mean always do them 18volt, why, because it provides more headroom making them smoother and slightly warmer as well but still retaining the punch that to me the Duncan's lack.

I installed a set of Mustaine livewires into a custom shop Washburn and with the pots and caps that set came with and that resulted in a noticeable difference, much smoother and warmer with great volume and tone control.

One of the shots shows the guitar before the pup swap and the rest demo the pups and 18volt mods which I did to both.

As for overall performance honestly? I feel my rigs are more responsive with that bell like chime and wah-ness with EMG's (I use the ZW set 81/85) I also think one step further the EMG 25th Anniversary kicks all their butts. Somehow they dialed it in differently I think because although it's allegedly chrome covered 81's they are more dynamic and responsive even more so than the others imo.

I also think different pups react to different woods and bodies evidently as well as how the player dials in their amps. I use LP's pre-dominantly but I do have a USA Jackson with the ZW set.

I like to use as little gain as I can get away with and allow the playing and guitar to push it the rest of the way. The result is more articulation and a cleaner tone that still retain the full body and tone.

Attachments

• usaetindigoidol418Vb.jpg
    usaetindigoidol418Vb.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
  • nammfull.jpg
    nammfull.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 6
  • etmustaines.jpg
    etmustaines.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 3
  • etglory.jpg
    etglory.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 3
  • etnewpots.jpg
    etnewpots.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 4

spaceforlease

Reaction score
hahahah. what the deuce?? runescape money? banned? hes tryin to buy a marshall with RUNESCAPE MONEY??