90s 50 watt Marshall 2x12 Combo

• Thread starter Jason deBroux
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Recently came across a 90s 2x12 combo rated at 50 watts. It’s powered by 6L6s and has a 50 watt output. The speakers are 25 watt Greenbacks. I’ve never come across one of these before and I’m curious as to what the rest of the Marshall afficiandos think.

Thoughts everyone ?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently came across a 90s 2x12 combo rated at 50 watts. It’s powered by 6L6s and has a 50 watt output. The speakers are 25 watt Greenbacks. I’ve never come across one of these before and I’m curious as to what the rest of the Marshall afficiandos think.

Thoughts everyone ?
:photos: might be helpful...
Got a model number?
How many knobs?

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
I’m in the process of obtaining the serial number. The back of the chassis says “Tremolo 50”
I’m hesitant to post the link I fear of someone else snagging it.

But it has your usual
from left to right
Mains Standby square indicator light, speed, intensity, presence, bass, middle,treble, volume 1, volume 2, and 4 inputs.

Resident 217

Reaction score
Probably a Bluesbreaker.

Yes they RI'd them in the 90's. I almost bought a empty cab with the geens for my JTM60 It bolted right in clean as a whistle but after testing I figured that cab was too big and heavy. Thets why it was empty the fellow put the amp in a head.
I think the lettering was still the right way up too unlike newer combo's. You can see lots of cabs on ebay for those even 60's ones.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Probably a Bluesbreaker.

Definitely possible, wasn’t aware that Bluesbreakers were made at 50 watts, but I did go on a deep size

It’s definitely a reissues from 1994 of 50 watt Tremolo 50, it’s got 6L6s instead of 5881s and it has a tube rectifier.

So the question is $1600 bucks ? Grab it or Pass ?

I’ve played the head version and the 35 watt JTM45 and loved it…

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the question is $1600 bucks ? Grab it or Pass ?
I'm no expert, but the price of that 212 combo is a fraction of price of the heads available - red flag #1.
Strange close ups with odd spots of corrosion on the chassis and tube shields - red flag #2
Face plate looks like it was sitting in a shed or attic collecting grime for years - red flag #3
No gut shots of the innards or picks of the hole amp chassis, transformers and caps- red flag #4

New knobs and tubes? BFD...
I'd advise proceeding with caution.
Ask for more and walk away if you get any push back.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but the price of that 212 combo is a fraction of price of the heads available - red flag #1.
Strange close ups with odd spots of corrosion on the chassis and tube shields - red flag #2
Face plate looks like it was sitting in a shed or attic collecting grime for years - red flag #3
No gut shots of the innards or picks of the hole amp chassis, transformers and caps- red flag #4

The seller is local to me and believe me, I will give this thing a thorough look over.
$1600 doesn’t even come close to a decent head.

Even the SV20h is $1799.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score

Also, these are the pictures I shared. I have t shared the post pictures. If this amp is awesome, I don’t want it getting swiped out from under my nose

Resident 217

Reaction score
Also, these are the pictures I shared. I have t shared the post pictures. If this amp is awesome, I don’t want it getting swiped out from under my nose
I wouldnt worry about it things are going fairly slow these days especially when they are asking top dollar.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seller is local to me and believe me, I will give this thing a thorough look over.

Even the SV20h is $1799.
Eyes on target is way better than pics and postage.
Curious to see what you think in person.
Might be a great amp at a great deal if it just needs a good cleaning, and it's not in need of a drastic overhaul.
Hope it works out.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
So I had the opp to play through an all original JTM45/100, it was all original, one of the first versions of that amp with the single drake transformers and el34s….it didn’t break up until around 8, and it was so darn loud. And if I could I’d love to have 3 full stacks behind me, but that is an ego thing.

I think part of the reason this amp is priced where it’s is because of the condition.

Most of these 1962 reissues and 1962HW that your finding out there, the sellers are asking well over $2-3k for them.

Keysdweller

Reaction score

Even the SV20h is $1799.
Sam Ash has the SV20H head for $999.99 right now. I couldn't pass this deal up. They also have the SV212 & ST212 cabinets for $699.99. The first with V-Types and the other with Creambacks. Couldn't pass those deals up either. Merry Christmas!

leofender55

Reaction score
I have the same amp, Bluesbreaker Reissue. Mine says "50 Watt Tremelo" also, but my buddy has one that reads "JTM". Mine is super clean and I had my tech upgrade it and put in KT66 tubes.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine's a 2014 RI. It says JTM on the front and just Tremolo on the back. 5881's and a GZ34 rectifier. Sounds lovely.
I suppose you don't really want to know I swapped it for a 2061x head that I paid £600 for. :cool:

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Sam Ash has the SV20H head for $999.99 right now. I couldn't pass this deal up. They also have the SV212 & ST212 cabinets for $699.99. The first with V-Types and the other with Creambacks. Couldn't pass those deals up either. Merry Christmas!
Are you serious !?

I like the SC20h/c but they’re really noisy when you crank the volume.

I also did a side by side comparison with an SV20h into a 1960 A and Friedman Twin Sister…let’s just say that Friedman did Marshall better…

I’ll have to check out this deal Sam Ash is running though…