a question for Instagram experts

• Thread starter GibsonMarshallGuy47
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
this is a weird question, but here goes...

today I was on my android phone, using my Instagram app, when all of a sudden, a tiny green camera icon appeared on the top right hand corner of the app, indicating that my selfie camera lens was being accessed, I'm assuming either by Instagram, or by someone that was interacting with my Instagram account. it went away after a few seconds.

my initial reaction was: "WHAT THE F*CK??!!??" ... I immediately went into my Instagram settings and selected "don't allow" for my phone camera... my question to any Instagram experts here is: what, why, how did that happen? and what are the potential results of that happening? is someone attempting top hack into my phone? did they already hack into my phone? what else can I do to keep my phone and all my app accounts safe from this?

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Instagram some kind of app people would download to their phone, up until around 2012 when their End-User License Agreement stated that they owned all your photos, kinda like this forum's been doing since the last software upgrade when they removed our ability to delete our own uploaded photos, without notice?

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
this is a weird question, but here goes...

today I was on my android phone, using my Instagram app, when all of a sudden, a tiny green camera icon appeared on the top right hand corner of the app, indicating that my selfie camera lens was being accessed, I'm assuming either by Instagram, or by someone that was interacting with my Instagram account. it went away after a few seconds.

my initial reaction was: "WHAT THE F*CK??!!??" ... I immediately went into my Instagram settings and selected "don't allow" for my phone camera... my question to any Instagram experts here is: what, why, how did that happen? and what are the potential results of that happening? is someone attempting top hack into my phone? did they already hack into my phone? what else can I do to keep my phone and all my app accounts safe from this?
I would do a factory reset and change all your account passwords.

PelliX

Reaction score
I've never used that kind of stuff because effectively it owns your data. That said, isn't there a 'quick pic' or 'send a video' option? I've seen it a lot on Telegram that people hit the little "record voice/video message" button.

Honestly, always assume your phone is compromised as it is. You just get to select *some* of the compromising parties. ;)

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do a factory reset and change all your account passwords.
A factory reset of the phone is extreme and unnecessary.

A better course of action would be to first check the security settings for the app. You may simply need to set the camera (and mic) to be active "only while the app is in use". Or, maybe that's already set and you just need to close the app.

If that doesn't resolve it, delete the app and reinstall it, then re-check its security settings.

If that doesn't resolve it, reset the Instagram account password (though I doubt the account is compromised if you can log in, usually the first thing a hacker does is change your password and lock you out).

Factory resetting the phone? 1) you'll likely be doing a recovery from a backup containing the same issue, or 2) you'll be spending a week bringing your phone back to its previous state.

Do the simple things first:

iu

Personally, I would never install an app on my phone that requires access to my mic or camera. But then I hate cell phones in the first place.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
A factory reset of the phone is extreme and unnecessary.

A better course of action would be to first check the security settings for the app. You may simply need to set the camera (and mic) to be active "only while the app is in use". Or, maybe that's already set and you just need to close the app.

If that doesn't resolve it, delete the app and reinstall it, then re-check its security settings.

If that doesn't resolve it, reset the Instagram account password (though I doubt the account is compromised if you can log in, usually the first thing a hacker does is change your password and lock you out).

Factory resetting the phone? 1) you'll likely be doing a recovery from a backup containing the same issue, or 2) you'll be spending a week bringing your phone back to its previous state.

Do the simple things first:

iu

Personally, I would never install an app on my phone that requires access to my mic or camera. But then I hate cell phones in the first place.
Originally I was gonna say burn the phone and move out of state. Factory reset doesn't sound so bad now eh?

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Hi, I noticed the same thing with my new phone but it only does it when I'm going to post on story and you have to allow camera permission which you can restrict it.