A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I ment. Everything gets very tight and for lack of a better term, compressed. It still has that great tone of the amp but with the higher gain and more focused. It reminds me of an almost Randy Rhodes sound to it.

More like an over the top vintage tone. For modern stuff I reckon it would still not really be that intense. :hmm:

Well, that does it! "tight, higher gain, more focused, over the top vintage". those are all the right words, and that's all I want from an OD or boost. All I'm using my MXR for now is to goose my Russian Muff. I think I'll try both the TS-9 and the 808 and see what I think. For the record,.. I don't want modern sounds, that's why I love the C5. I just think now I might be able to get all I need from one amp. That would be sweet. :hmm:

Last edited:

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Dude! Your in Canada and not giving HT a shot at it???? His OFA stuff has been getting praise by several guys on here. I am actually sending my DS-1 to him as well. Just a matter of getting my lazy arse to the post office.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna send him my TS5 here soon. Supposedly those are easier to mod to TS808 specs than the TS7 I just got.

benjammin420

Reaction score

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I jammed this evening with the TS-9 on the C5 dimed. I set the tone straight up at 12 o'clock, drive at about 9 o'clock and level cranked.

Yeah, that bad boy was pushed to the limits and jammin'. I know the speaker is still in that break in period so the highs if you stand right in the path of the speaker are brutal but once you get out of that "nasty zone" the setup has a great 80's vibe to it.

I played a melody of stuff from Cinderella's "Shake Me" to Kingdom Come's "Get it On" to assorted Dokken and Skid Row's "Youth Gone Wild". I really had fun with some early Motley Crue doing "Ten Seconds to Love" (which by the way just friggin sounded amazing) to the Iron Maiden classic "Wrathchild". Even pulled back the gain for a bit and fooled around with a bit of AC/DC and Blackfoot.

It was a fun little jam/break in period.

Roadburn

Reaction score
Sorry,... no relation,... but I have read his posts and I did try an 8ohm WGS Green Beret and 8ohm Veteran 30 and I didn't like the results.

By the way, (ref. post #25) I'm using a Sovtek EL84 now and I definately prefer it over the JJ I had in there... More open sounding and a little brighter.

What pedals are you guys using with your C5s? I'm using a Black box Russian Muff that I've modded (I don't even think it's a muff anymore), an MXR Classic OD, and occasionally a GE-7 for a boost. I'm thinking about a good boost but I don't know anything about them. Just curious as to what y'all are using...

Steve

Ahh, well it was a bit too obvious anyway ;)

I tried my Ibanez FZ7 (This fuzz is really over the top, 3 "damage" settings, 1 no damage, 2 10% damage, 3 100% damage. 10% and 100% make it sound as if you recorded it with extra mic clipping)

MXR CS-OD gives a nice boost, the overdrive/gain department isn't as good though. Very chirpy, like a cricket.

Havn't tried my Schaller fuzz/sustain yet (fuzz gain dial is dusty), and havn't tried my Korg either (not a lot of stomp boxes in it, just amps, speaker emulation, modulation, reverb and delay. I don't know how to use it with a tube amp)

Maybe I've been looking too much for other people's sound instead of inventing my own.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a DIY mod discussed in this thread (basically you clip the D4 and D5 diodes) I tried it and loved it, and everyone who's done it has had a positive reaction, I recommend it :dude:
Boss DS-1... like it/hate it/DIY mods/ANYTHING - My Les Paul Forums
This works. Personally I kinda like mods where no drilling or case mods are required. They are easy to reverse.
On my DS-1 I unsoldered the diodes, plus I replaced a couple caps and am ready to mod/replace a couple resistor values.

Great pedal, very versatile and inexpensive!

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Seriously?

I was asked to turn it down today. I had to laugh. I finished up practice at about a little below nine o'clock and when it came time to do the show I dimed it.

They came up after the show and said thank you and that it sounded much more blended.:lol:

benjammin420

Reaction score
Seriously?

I was asked to turn it down today. I had to laugh. I finished up practice at about a little below nine o'clock and when it came time to do the show I dimed it.

They came up after the show and said thank you and that it sounded much more blended.:lol:

too bad youre not on the MLP forum, I was trying to tell people that some players dont think the C5 is too loud for home use (thinking of your comments here) but they ignored me :lol:

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Too funny. Maybe I should join up just to "enlighten" the group.:hmm:

I can certainly understand folks in apartments that only have a common wall to deal with but I am really shocked at how many people think the amp is too loud. Makes me wonder how companies have been selling large amps for all these years.

benjammin420

Reaction score
Benjammin, it's very cool of you to offer to go through the trouble of doing that, but I don't know how it would compair with the C5, would it tell me anything?... hey, it just dawned on me that in 25 years of playing around at playing electric guitar, I have never played a Fender... ever!

here ya go Steve:

SG Classic with Zhangbucker P90s, the ACDC is with the Java Boost off, then turned on to the treble boost mode, then mid boost mode for the Zappa, then back off at the end
highway to hell NIB muffin man Sound Bite

and if it helps, this is the Champ demo, with my LP and Skatterbrane pickups (set on the middle, out-of-phase position)
Java Boost Demo LP out-of-phase Sound Bite

xxx

Reaction score
After waiting over a year, I finally got my Class 5 in. The store I was dealing with a while back told me that the rumor was that the Class 5 would someday end up being made in Asia? I don`t know if it will happen, but they got two amps in and I got them both. I`m leaving one in the box, but cracked open the other. First thoughts are, this is a nicely built amp..... light, but there really is`nt much inside. Playing a Les Paul I can get really warm tones on lower volumes and learned quickly that these are a knob twister`s dream come true, start cranking up the volume and it takes a bit to dial in the tone you want. A very responsive amp indeed, it was going great till about one hour of playing, then I start getting this scratchy noise.... like you know something is getting ready to shit out on this damn amp that I waited a frickin` year for!:wtf: It got so bad, I just turned it off. Did some snooping on the net and read that a tube might not be seated well. I was not about to take the amp back, so I took it apart, pushed on the tubes a bit, and BINGO ..... it worked like a champ! These amps have a lot of bark, I fired it through a 6505 4-12 cab which was damn impressive. Just gonna break it in and see what everyone is doing for mods... a great little amp.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
here ya go Steve:

SG Classic with Zhangbucker P90s, the ACDC is with the Java Boost off, then turned on to the treble boost mode, then mid boost mode for the Zappa, then back off at the end
highway to hell NIB muffin man Sound Bite

and if it helps, this is the Champ demo, with my LP and Skatterbrane pickups (set on the middle, out-of-phase position)
Java Boost Demo LP out-of-phase Sound Bite

That sounds great bro, thanks! I really liked the treble boost part. I've been listening to clips on several boosts and I don't know if I can decide without playing them through my rig. Problem is most of them are not available to me to try out, and I'm not a fan of ordering without trying first, but it looks like I may have to. Anyway, thanks alot for posting those clips! It told me alot...

DSL100dude, I remembered I had a Bad Monkey packed away so I dug it out to try it with the C5. I believe it's a ts type circuit and I see what you meant, it's much better than the MXR I was using. I think now I'm going to go ahead with the ri 808 this week. ...and then I'll look for a boost.

:dude:

Steve

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
xxx: As far as the rumor goes, I would have to say very unlikely. If Marshall already has plants in Asia already cranking out product why would they setup the tooling and whatnot to build it in England and then break down and send everything to another plant? I am going to go with them keeping it in house.
You are right on about it being so responsive. I think that is one of my favorite things about the C5. Now I admit that everything cranked is my "standard" setting but there is so much more to it.
I am glad that your issue was just the loose seated tubes. Enjoy that amp! :jam:

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Ya I do love the responsiveness of it. Just adjust the pick attack, or roll the volume off a bit, and it cleans right up like a good amp should.

I'm using the neck for cleans on about 5 and the mid or bridge for everything else, and have the bridge on about 8-9 mostly. Love it!

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
It is sweet, but,.. before I ruined my TS-9 I had boxed up the Bad Monkey because I didn't like it as well as the ts-9. The first thing I did to my ts-9 when I modded it was to change it to 808 spec.s, which I liked better than the stock ts-9. Thats why I'm going for the ri 808.

rocker67

Reaction score
Poeman33, the Mullards were tall plate type 12ax7. They seemed to make the amp have alot more mids and bottom.Made the speaker sound like It might have been bad. The 12ax7 tubes I installed have smaller type plates, the amp responds better to the EQ. and the distortion is smoother.

rocker67

Reaction score
I have tried like 3 different types of overdrive's in front of my C5. I seem to find the ZW MXR overdrive to suit my needs; good push capabilities and has some sustain. The bad monkey I had used some, but it didn't push it like I wanted. The MXR Classic Overdrive was kinda like the ZW, but lacked sustain.:headbanger:

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Next time I head over to my local shop I am going to give the TS 808 a try.