A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

13eastie

Reaction score
I need to start picking up some stuff and just start playing around.

Too right. It's another of those curious things about this cute little amp.

If you spend £1,000+ on your amp you start to think twice about opening it up at all.

But if you spend only a couple of hundred quid on a Class 5 you feel almost obliged to keep tinkering...

I'm itching to try a G10 Vintage, but I've heard a lot of people say the stock 10" is a perfect match for the C5.

Has anyone tried a different speaker in the combo?

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I have a Greenback coming for the C5. I will record an A/B of them as soon as it comes in. Now of course they won't be broken in but we should still hear what differences there are.

I am happy with the 10" speaker in the C5. I love running it through my 1960A of course but the 10" internal gives a very well balanced sound I think. That 12" modded C5 is very cool though.

BigB

Reaction score
So what's the verdict? Can this be a bedroom amp? I'm so ready to pull the plug.

colchar

Reaction score
So what's the verdict? Can this be a bedroom amp? I'm so ready to pull the plug.

Yes, it most certainly can. I am in the basement and currently have the volume set at 3 (not 3 o'clock) with my Strat's volume set at 5 (neck pickup) and the house mates immediately above me can barely hear me (they can if they are just reading but can't if they have the TV on).

I haven't played it dirty all that much (will do so later tonight) so I can't comment on how loud it is when it is dirty but what I said above should give you a good indication. Then again, it will depend on what guitars yuo are using with it.

And don't forget that, if you need to, you can use headphones with this thing.

colchar

Reaction score
I just had one of the worst WTF moments ever.

I am between 80%-90% colour blind. Been like this since I was a kid so I can distinguish some colours because I learned to do so growing up but there are others that I have a really tough time telling apart.

When I bought my Class 5 I coulda sworn it was a dark green. Imagine my surprise when someone was over tonight and they asked what had happened to my green one and why I had a black one now. Seriously, I am not even frakin' kidding. I had a black one the whole time and thought it was dark green. Hell, I can't remember ever even seeing a black one in the stores (except, it seems, for the one I bought). Then again, how the hell would I know what I was seeing in the stores?!?!?

I know that having colour vision as bad as mine earns me an automatic mulligan on this but I still feel like a complete and utter moron. Talk about being embarrassed!

:wtf:

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Hey BigB! Welcome to the forum formally. :wave:

I think the C5 is loud enough to do a small gig with a drummer that doesn't go to crazy. I also seem to be in the minority that think this thing is not that loud. I regularly dime everything and practice in my "music room" while everyone else in the family is watching TV, playing video games, etc.

I reckon it may be too loud for apartment living. In my single days whoever could play the jams tended to host the party. Everyone else came over with the drinks;)

My amp starts to break up right away with my Les Paul. I am sure it would stay clean longer with a strat but that isn't what I was looking for.

Go for it!

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Dude! No worries on that. When I first saw the C5 sitting with some other amps I thought it was green too. Is there different tones of black tolex? Once I saw a picture of the green and black side by side I had no doubt the green ones are clearly green.

benjammin420

Reaction score
I just had one of the worst WTF moments ever.

I am between 80%-90% colour blind. Been like this since I was a kid so I can distinguish some colours because I learned to do so growing up but there are others that I have a really tough time telling apart.

When I bought my Class 5 I coulda sworn it was a dark green. Imagine my surprise when someone was over tonight and they asked what had happened to my green one and why I had a black one now. Seriously, I am not even frakin' kidding. I had a black one the whole time and thought it was dark green. Hell, I can't remember ever even seeing a black one in the stores (except, it seems, for the one I bought). Then again, how the hell would I know what I was seeing in the stores?!?!?

I know that having colour vision as bad as mine earns me an automatic mulligan on this but I still feel like a complete and utter moron. Talk about being embarrassed!

:wtf:

:lol::lol: I thought that when I saw your picture, but I didnt want to say anything because I thought I got it wrong :)

BigB

Reaction score
Thank you DSL. I'm much more active on MLP. I don't own a Marshall so I do more reading than posting as you can see.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
The Class 5 looks sexy with any guitar. I need to take a few pics of mine with different guitars.

Hey Marty, any word on tubes for our little beauties?

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I almost picked up another Class 5 in black this weekend.

I figured I should hold out since my red one is coming.