A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

benjammin420

Reaction score
Great idea. Maybe I will load that Greenback in to one of them. That should make a difference.

Let us know how that works. I have a Fender 4x10 cab that is currently only running 2 speakers. I may start trying out a bunch of different speakers and placing them where the sound best.

I borrowed a wire from the Fender cab (1/4" plug on one end, 2 clips on the other for attaching to speakers) its a bit short, the perfect distance to plug into the ext speaker jack, or to run into the attenuator (for that I wish it was a longer cable so I could place the attenuator on top of the amp instead of just behind it) I really like the sound though, I do like the stock speaker, it doesnt have the same sound in the amp as it would in a bigger, external cab, but for home and recording purposes it is great. I may return this 1936 cab when the rent period is up, I'll probably end up with something else one day, but more likely a cheap empty cab I can fill with whatever speakers I want

RHP

Reaction score
I'm loving this thing so far. I hear tones I ain't never heard before.
I was thinking about getting a 1936 cabinet to beef it up a bit, do I need to re-wire the speakers in series to get the 16 ohms ?

benjammin420

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a 1936 cabinet to beef it up a bit, do I need to re-wire the speakers in series to get the 16 ohms ?

the cab is already 16 ohms (at least mine is)

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Let us know how that works. I have a Fender 4x10 cab that is currently only running 2 speakers. I may start trying out a bunch of different speakers and placing them where the sound best.

I borrowed a wire from the Fender cab (1/4" plug on one end, 2 clips on the other for attaching to speakers) its a bit short, the perfect distance to plug into the ext speaker jack, or to run into the attenuator (for that I wish it was a longer cable so I could place the attenuator on top of the amp instead of just behind it) I really like the sound though, I do like the stock speaker, it doesnt have the same sound in the amp as it would in a bigger, external cab, but for home and recording purposes it is great. I may return this 1936 cab when the rent period is up, I'll probably end up with something else one day, but more likely a cheap empty cab I can fill with whatever speakers I want

Oh you know that I will be all up in here posting and (hopefully) praising the Greenback as soon as I get it in there.
Too bad that you are thinking of letting the 1936 go. They are such awesome cabs.

Welcome to the larger (smaller) world brother! These little guys are beautiful. I have heard my playing better and able to improve quicker with the C5. Much like my so loved 87's and 59's, they are NOT forgiving.
As for the cab being 16 ohms...

the cab is already 16 ohms (at least mine is)

Ben has already rocked it out! :jam:

benjammin420

Reaction score

Too bad that you are thinking of letting the 1936 go. They are such awesome cabs.

Its more that I'm not liking the G12T75 speakers, I could save some money and trouble by getting an empty cab and putting in whatever speakers I do want (plus I could get a cab covered in the same green tolex as my C5 :naughty:)

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Yeah, that would be way cool.

Aww, man. Now you have me thinking of a custom cab made the same width as the Class 5 loaded vertically.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Its more that I'm not liking the G12T75 speakers, I could save some money and trouble by getting an empty cab and putting in whatever speakers I do want (plus I could get a cab covered in the same green tolex as my C5 :naughty:)

Marty was loving his Eminence speakers. He said the Tonespotter and Blackpowder make for a killer combo. I'm going to make that one of my next upgrades, as I got a 2x12 cab recently. :naughty:

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
OK guys, this amp officially sounds awesome through a 2x12!

The cab I got recently has a 1x12 16ohm and 2x12 8 ohm setting. I was scared to put it through both 12's on the 8 ohm setting. Well, today I did, and it sounded great. I ran it on about 5 or so, and everything was fine. I played for a couple of hours after work, and loved it.

benjammin420

Reaction score
OK guys, this amp officially sounds awesome through a 2x12!

The cab I got recently has a 1x12 16ohm and 2x12 8 ohm setting. I was scared to put it through both 12's on the 8 ohm setting. Well, today I did, and it sounded great. I ran it on about 5 or so, and everything was fine. I played for a couple of hours after work, and loved it.

on the Vintage Modern forum, the guy who designed the C5 (I forget his name, he posts alot in the Class 5 section there) he has suggested more than once that "there should be no problems" running the C5 through an 8 ohm speaker/cab. I've done it a few times with my 4x10 cab with no side effects, but to be safe I usually run it at 16 (though Ive probably plugged into the 8 ohm mono jack a few times too)

Glad you like it :dude:

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to only own 16 ohm cabinets so there is no worries but running 8 ohms I wouldn't think would be to hard on it. Not sure I would want to dance with 4 though.

I think with y'alls help, I have convinced myself to get a 2x10 or 2x12 cabinet done up in RED to go with my next Class 5! :naughty:

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a 2xEL84 version of the 1987x custom made by Randy Fay of Phaez amp fame. That guy is nearly worshipped at the MLP forum.

It would be hard to keep that and the Class 5 at the same time. Decisions decisions...........

benjammin420

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a 2xEL84 version of the 1987x custom made by Randy Fay of Phaez amp fame. That guy is nearly worshipped at the MLP forum.

It would be hard to keep that and the Class 5 at the same time. Decisions decisions...........

I've been thinking the same thing too. I went with a C5 over the Phaez because I could play it before hand, and finance it through the store. When I have the chunk of cash together, I want to get an 18 watt Phaez. Whether or not I kept the C5 remains to be seen

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
His prices are really good actually. I was suprised at the prices, considering how good they are supposed to sound, and the fact they are handmade. Did you get a price quote on yours?

Latest posts