A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a 2xEL84 version of the 1987x custom made by Randy Fay of Phaez amp fame. That guy is nearly worshipped at the MLP forum.

It would be hard to keep that and the Class 5 at the same time. Decisions decisions...........

The only thing hard about that is deciding which room to keep which amp in and, then, which one you feel like plugging into at the moment.

Trust me on this. All of life's problems should be just that vexing.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
The only thing hard about that is deciding which room to keep which amp in and, then, which one you feel like plugging into at the moment.

Trust me on this. All of life's problems should be just that vexing.

Well, I'm saving for a motorcycle, so if I bought the Phaez and kept the Class 5 also, I'd be a month or 2 more so away from my bike. :hmm:

benjammin420

Reaction score
His prices are really good actually. I was suprised at the prices, considering how good they are supposed to sound, and the fact they are handmade. Did you get a price quote on yours?

His prices are very good, I'm just terrible at saving up money. I'm thinking about making it a xmas present for myself, I think I could put down a deposit when I order, and pay the rest when he goes to actual make the amp. He gave me a rough quote but we didn't really nail a final design. I pretty much just want a 1974x head.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
His prices are very good, I'm just terrible at saving up money. I'm thinking about making it a xmas present for myself, I think I could put down a deposit when I order, and pay the rest when he goes to actual make the amp. He gave me a rough quote but we didn't really nail a final design. I pretty much just want a 1974x head.

I told him I was after the Jimmy Page "The song remains the same" live album tone, and proposed a 1987x head in 2 EL84. He said he hadnt tried that yet, but thought it would sound awesome, and would be a bit more gainey than the el34 version. :naughty:

That's where things stand as of right now .

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve D... Dirty Steve....hmmmm...:hmm:

Sorry,... no relation,... but I have read his posts and I did try an 8ohm WGS Green Beret and 8ohm Veteran 30 and I didn't like the results.

By the way, (ref. post #25) I'm using a Sovtek EL84 now and I definately prefer it over the JJ I had in there... More open sounding and a little brighter.

What pedals are you guys using with your C5s? I'm using a Black box Russian Muff that I've modded (I don't even think it's a muff anymore), an MXR Classic OD, and occasionally a GE-7 for a boost. I'm thinking about a good boost but I don't know anything about them. Just curious as to what y'all are using...

Steve

benjammin420

Reaction score
What pedals are you guys using with your C5s? I'm using a Black box Russian Muff that I've modded (I don't even think it's a muff anymore), an MXR Classic OD, and occasionally a GE-7 for a boost. I'm thinking about a good boost but I don't know anything about them. Just curious as to what y'all are using...

Steve

I have a Keeley Fuzz Head and Java Boost, as well as a modded DS-1. I also have a Boss delay and chorus, EVH phase 90, and a Danelectro octave/fuzz

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I have to say +1 on getting the new custom "mini 87" and keeping the Class 5. The bike will come too. It took me 20 years to get a Marshall head and cab after selling my previous stack.

The idea of the "mini 87" sounds fantastic. I could see that being a big hit.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Steve, I normally use my TS-9 as a boost but I am getting a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. Several fellas on here have given it a thumbs up and it is supposed to be very transparent which is what I am looking for.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Keeley Fuzz Head and Java Boost, as well as a modded DS-1. I also have a Boss delay and chorus, EVH phase 90, and a Danelectro octave/fuzz

I looked at a Java boost, but at the store I was at they didn't have a C5 so I didn't try it out. The discription seems like it would work very well. Can you tell me a little about how it works with the Class 5? I have a feeling a boost might be just what I need.

benjammin420

Reaction score
I looked at a Java boost, but at the store I was at they didn't have a C5 so I didn't try it out. The discription seems like it would work very well. Can you tell me a little about how it works with the Class 5? I have a feeling a boost might be just what I need.

It works very well with the C5, its a mild boost, just enough to kick the tube a little harder. I prefer it with single coils, to fatten them up, though it works good with humbuckers too. Great for Tony Iommi/Rory Gallagher/Frank Zappa type tones

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Steve, I normally use my TS-9 as a boost but I am getting a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster. Several fellas on here have given it a thumbs up and it is supposed to be very transparent which is what I am looking for.

I've been wanting a RI TS-808 for a long time, but I keep putting it off. Maybe it's time to go for it. I will certainly check out an SD Pickup Booster,.. thanks!

benjammin420

Reaction score
I have a demo of the Java boost in conjunction with the DS1, but thru my Fender Champ though. I can put together a clip with the C5 if you like

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
The TS-808 would be very nice. I would get one but it is kind of hard to justify the purchase since I have a TS-9. I know, close but not quite but...

When I feel like getting really over the top and in to 80's kinda sound the TS-9 as an overdrive pushing the C5 dimed is a lot of fun. To my ears the TS-9 shapes the tone too. I feel like it levels it out quite a bit.

It is not quite as noticable when using it as a boost but it is still there. I am hoping the SD will just give me straight up boost to see how far I can push the C5.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I ruined my ts-9dx trying to modify it so I haven't been able to try one, but I have to believe it will work better than the MXR I'm using now. That's why I want the 808. I had already modified my ts-9dx to 808 spec.s but I ruined the pedal because I wouldn't leave it alone.

Dude, when you say "over the top and in to 80's kinda sound" what is it you mean exactly? To me that means a lot of things, but I think of tighter and more palm muting friendly.

Benjammin, it's very cool of you to offer to go through the trouble of doing that, but I don't know how it would compair with the C5, would it tell me anything?... hey, it just dawned on me that in 25 years of playing around at playing electric guitar, I have never played a Fender... ever!

poeman33

Reaction score
I have been using just a stock Boss DS-1. It loses bottom end, but otherwise sounds okay. I would really like to give the pedal the Keeley mod and see what it sounds like.

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
Dude, when you say "over the top and in to 80's kinda sound" what is it you mean exactly? To me that means a lot of things, but I think of tighter and more palm muting friendly.

That is exactly what I ment. Everything gets very tight and for lack of a better term, compressed. It still has that great tone of the amp but with the higher gain and more focused. It reminds me of an almost Randy Rhodes sound to it.

More like an over the top vintage tone. For modern stuff I reckon it would still not really be that intense. :hmm:

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
I have been using just a stock Boss DS-1. It loses bottom end, but otherwise sounds okay. I would really like to give the pedal the Keeley mod and see what it sounds like.

Dude! Your in Canada and not giving HT a shot at it???? His OFA stuff has been getting praise by several guys on here. I am actually sending my DS-1 to him as well. Just a matter of getting my lazy arse to the post office.

Latest posts