A Touch of Class...Class5 Owners Welcome!

• Thread starter DSL100 Dude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys, help me out here. The C5 speaker output is 16 ohms. Can a 4/12 cab containing 8 ohm speakers be used with the C5?

iron broadsword

Reaction score
It's been said by the designer that it's perfectly fine, as the C5 is robust enough to handle a smaller load. Normally it's a horrible idea, but apparently it's perfectly fine with this amp.

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been said by the designer that it's perfectly fine, as the C5 is robust enough to handle a smaller load. Normally it's a horrible idea, but apparently it's perfectly fine with this amp.

Thanks guy. Would that be serial or parallel wiring?

jwebb1970

Reaction score

I was looking @ the C5 mods thread over @ MLP today (saw you posting there lately, iron broadsword!). I also see Lyle C is back on that forum after a long absense.

The guy is a well spring of tube amp knowledge....but I did find his comment that Marshall should have "hired an actual engineer" to design the C5 typical of the douchebaggery that often goes on over @ MLP. I;d say the "non-engineer" responsible for the C5 (Steve Dawson, correct?) must be one lucky hunt & peck amp maker, considering the other products he has been responsible for coming out of Marshall.

But, I have no problem using the free tips to mod my amp (should I decide to) that came from a semi-jackass.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Hehe, yeah I definitely don't agree with a lot of the views over there. I just need lots of places to go when I've got G.A.S. :p

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Thanks guy. Would that be serial or parallel wiring?

Oh, I was referring to using the 4x12 INSTEAD of the C5's internal speaker, via the external speaker jack on the back of the C5, which defeats the C5's speaker and only uses what you've got plugged in.. if you're gonna mix & match impedances then somebody else will have to chime in to answer that for ya.

If you mean 'does it matter if the 4x12 is wired in series or parallel' then well no as long as the output is 8ohms, and not 32. :p

FennRx

Reaction score
I was looking @ the C5 mods thread over @ MLP today (saw you posting there lately, iron broadsword!). I also see Lyle C is back on that forum after a long absense.

The guy is a well spring of tube amp knowledge....but I did find his comment that Marshall should have "hired an actual engineer" to design the C5 typical of the douchebaggery that often goes on over @ MLP. I;d say the "non-engineer" responsible for the C5 (Steve Dawson, correct?) must be one lucky hunt & peck amp maker, considering the other products he has been responsible for coming out of Marshall.

But, I have no problem using the free tips to mod my amp (should I decide to) that came from a semi-jackass.

i've been a member there for a long time and I never heard of that dude until I started asking about Class 5s, Phaez's, etc. He may know his stuff, but he strikes me as incredibly arrogant.

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, I was referring to using the 4x12 INSTEAD of the C5's internal speaker, via the external speaker jack on the back of the C5, which defeats the C5's speaker and only uses what you've got plugged in.. if you're gonna mix & match impedances then somebody else will have to chime in to answer that for ya.

If you mean 'does it matter if the 4x12 is wired in series or parallel' then well no as long as the output is 8ohms, and not 32. :p

I did mean mean using it only with the 4x12. Sorry, should have been clear on that.

jwebb1970

Reaction score
i've been a member there for a long time and I never heard of that dude until I started asking about Class 5s, Phaez's, etc. He may know his stuff, but he strikes me as incredibly arrogant.

Arrogant for sure, but also pretty generous with the tips for this particular amp mod.

Still kicking around doing most of those mods, but the current sound clips that are posted there sound no better (and at living room jam volumes, not nearly as good) as my stock C5 with my outboard stuff.

Lyle's recent description of the mods making the C5 more of a 5w SuperLead with more gain on tap does, however, sound rather delicious. I do have a local tech who has the skills......

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to look more into his mods, but I just haven't had the time to sit and read the whole thread and I've had other priorities. I want to do them myself if I do any of them. :naughty:

SkinnyJ

Reaction score
I did this mod and it works great. The hardest part was getting the board out to run the jumper.

Before that I used a tail that I stole off another amp to move back and forth from the extension jack to the headphone jack ("bedroom trick") using the internal speaker instead of a separate cab.

Full power...
P1010082.jpg

Low power...(plug in only half way)
P1010077.jpg

This is one of those "facepalm" moments. So damn obvious. When I got home from work, I stole the speaker tail from a Line 6 I'm not using and got it working. Now I get the volume to 5-ish and then kick it with my modded DS-1 or TS-9. Sadly, I had to get inside the cab and I think I damaged my EL844 in the process. It seems to no longer light up. At least it's cheap to replace and I have my EL84 to throw in. Maybe it's time to investigate that RI Mullard I've read about... :D

SkinnyJ

Reaction score
You may have just bumped the el84 out of whack on the speaker putting it back in. The tip of the el84 is only about 1/4" away from the speaker.

I tried reseating it, but it wouldn't light or make sound. I think I might have damaged one of the pins.

*edit* Upon further investigation, I found a crack at the base of the tube.

Lowlife

Reaction score
Arrogant for sure, but also pretty generous with the tips for this particular amp mod.

Still kicking around doing most of those mods, but the current sound clips that are posted there sound no better (and at living room jam volumes, not nearly as good) as my stock C5 with my outboard stuff.

Lyle's recent description of the mods making the C5 more of a 5w SuperLead with more gain on tap does, however, sound rather delicious. I do have a local tech who has the skills......

I've done them, and I'm pretty pleased, seems the knobs got more responsive, and the amp got a bit more gain. I'd stay well clear of the choke though, as that has caused me, and others some ugly ghosting problems

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the choke, of the mods that was about the only one I'd been really considering...

acidvoodoo

Reaction score
I've got a mercury choke done by Voodoo on mine, it sounds killer. If you plan on modding I'd try it if you've got the funds, I think it makes a difference from stock.

Last edited:

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I'm no amp tech but I think it's purpose smooth's things out and brings more clarity to the guitar notes and string reaction...so I guess you could say its a tone thing. I sure someone else could answer better...

From what I understand of it, that pretty much nails it. It reduces sag, I believe, which leads to more note definition.