• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Advice On Using A Boss-me 80

december

Reaction score
I’m not going to comment on gear I’ve never tried so I won’t comment on the Pod Go.

The M5/M9/M13 doesn’t model amps. It isn’t an audio interface. It’s just a multi-effects unit and looper. It is MIDI capable, over which I have updated firmware, though they finished with updates ages ago. I suppose XLR would be beneficial for use with a mixer, but it’s wholly unnecessary if you’re going to use it with a guitar/bass and an amp, which is what it was designed for.

The M13 does 4CM and I can see how I might use it as such. Some of the drives are passable. Many of the other things you might put out in front are nice, but I don't know the configuration in terms of how many out front vs in the loop. I’ve never read the manual for it.

If you’re having noise issues you can use an isolation transformer. I’ve only had problems when the unit is near my amp’s transformer, but no more so than I have with other pedals. Otherwise I haven’t had any issues.
I've only had the noise with the Pod Go. I got the Ampero for XLRs and ground lift, but I don't even need the ground lift. It was a very loud, low frequency that hurt my ears thru headphones. Then digital squelching noise when the hard drive or processor is running. I'll attach the recording of it... nevermind, it won't let me put an mp3.
Having the ability to use the computer to edit patches via USB is necessary for me. I don't use it as an interface because I can't; I have Windows, so you can only use one audio device at a time.
I run tbe stereo outs of the pedal to interface and the mono out to amp, then I mic the amp in front and back, so a guitar track is 4 tracks in the DAW.
I can't afford a $500 device plus have to buy a special power supply to maybe make it usable. I also wouldn't be very comfortable paying that much for obsolete computer-based gear that doesn't interface with my computer.
I'm happy with the Ampero and the price. Mainly need it for clear, clean, chorused/delay/reverb-types tones. I think it does this better than the Pod Go, which had digital artifacts that ruined a lot of the clean tones. Plus it's plastic. The only thing better about the Pod Go was a few FX had some really neat parameters that could create polyrhythms with delay and such, but, like I said, what good is it if I can't use it?

gregr

Reaction score
I didn’t realize you thought I was suggesting you get one. It was Rolltide78 who seemed interested. Rather, I felt the need to clear up any misconceptions. Hopefully the $500 price tag was for some other piece of gear.

december

Reaction score
I didn’t realize you thought I was suggesting you get one. It was Rolltide78 who seemed interested. Rather, I felt the need to clear up any misconceptions. Hopefully the $500 price tag was for some other piece of gear.
Oh, Rolltide78 was curious why I didn't get a M9 or M13.
The Pod Go was $500 @GC. The M13 is $500 for new on Walmart & eBay. GC has a used for $200.
I did like the FX on Pod Go, it's really unfortunate that noise was so bad. I don't know why. I tried plugging everything into the same surge protector. 2 new units and they both were the same. The 3 multi-FX I have now have no noise, all connected to the same interface and amps. If the USB is connected to the computer there's noise, the worst in the ME-80, but different than the Line 6. I just have to set my patch on the computer then save it to the pedal and disconnect the USB before recording, and they're all very quiet. (Digitech, Boss, Hotone). Something really strange about the Pod. It was fine if only connected to the amp. And I never connected it's USB, so I'm really stumped about it.
I returned my ME-80 to buy the Pod, then had to buy it back when I returned the Pod.

Rolltide78

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit more research and totally get what you are saying now. Pod Go looks like a pretty cool little unit and a newer product line than the M Series. Makes sense now. If I could get 250 for the ME I may consider getting that one, but no biggie. I'm just so excited for the OCD/Phase and all around staying focused. That stinks though about the noise. However, did you ever try moving your USB devices to their own hub on one port? I don't have any noise on my ME80 when going directly into one of the ports on the back of my PC?

december

Reaction score
I've been doing a bit more research and totally get what you are saying now. Pod Go looks like a pretty cool little unit and a newer product line than the M Series. Makes sense now. If I could get 250 for the ME I may consider getting that one, but no biggie. I'm just so excited for the OCD/Phase and all around staying focused. That stinks though about the noise. However, did you ever try moving your USB devices to their own hub on one port? I don't have any noise on my ME80 when going directly into one of the ports on the back of my PC?
2 of the 4 USB 3.0 ports on the back of computer don't work, so I have a powered USB 3.0 hub w/4 inputs and individual switches to turn each one off/on. The 3 multi-FX plus Katana are in it. But, even off there's still noise, so I just have to disconnect before recording. I didn't even get that far with the Pod Go, so much noise I never bothered to connect USB or install the software.
One hub for multi-FX and one for MIDI devices. The interface is direct to PC USB port.

gregr

Reaction score
Did you search forums to see if this is a common problem and if anyone has found a viable solution?

december

Reaction score
Did you search forums to see if this is a common problem and if anyone has found a viable solution?
I did, people thought I was crazy, or an idiot that doesn't know how to use my gear, or I missed something obvious, like a ground lift, but no, I tried everything, short of spending more money on a power conditioner. So, apparently not a common thing. I know exactly how to use all the functions on all my gear. I went to an expensive school for this stuff. I tried TRS, TRS->XLR cables, plugging everything into the same outlet. There weren't many possibilities, I have a Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 interface, there's no ground lifts or anything.
My Boss ME-80, Digitech BP355, and now Hotone Ampero have no noise connected to the same interface and amps. Well, they all have noise if the USB is connected to the computer, but that digital crackling/squelching noise from the processor and drives moving, not a deafening low frequency hum that felt like it was gonna rattle my headphones into pieces.
But I just disconnect the USB after editing patches and loading them to the device and they're super quiet to play/record with. I never even got as far as connecting the Pod Go to USB, the noise was immediately apparent. Someone suggested that I should have connected the USB... even if that had worked, the unit does not require a USB ever, so I would only ever be able to use it connected to a computer? I doubt it would have helped, but still, if it had, so what. I'm not spending $500 on something with any flaws.
The noise was only there if connected to the interface, though, so it's obviously something with that and the PC, but still, why don't I have any issues with Boss, Digitech or Hotone?
And why spend $500 on a stereo FX box if I can't use the stereo outs to the interface? I don't have 2 amps & 4 mics.
I got the Ampero for the XLR outs and ground lift switch, but it's quiet, I don't even need to use the ground lift on it.
I wanted to post the noise on here but it won't let me put an mp3.

Rolltide78

Reaction score
I'm glad you are happy with the ampero. Have you tried calling Hotone? I bet they have ideas possibly on the noise. Maybe kill lights, tvs, hub all devices from usb and simplify by just plugging the hotone into the PC. If the noise still occurs you know it's none of the other stuff interfering.