AFD100...Not Impressed.

• Thread starter 5150evh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cassp0nk

Reaction score
The shitty AFD clips on youtube are generally recorded by the talentless credit-card warriors who put in their order for the amp before the chassis were even stamped.

There are a few decent clips of the AFD which I would consider somewhat representative, but a majority of them are just some guys in their late 30's whose wives gave them permission to order the amp, and they sit there and wank very amatuerishly on Night Train.

You sound a little bitter there :wave:

RobS

Reaction score
Just get an 800 I say! Can't go wrong.

But as others have said if you do not like it you most certainly be able to on sell it?

HoboMan

Reaction score
Here's my 02 cents.

A lot of fans of the AFD tone but one thing to remember is that what we're hearing is Slash's recorded guitar tweaked by a very experienced producer & sound engineer.

I doubt that same producer & sound engineer were there to help tweak the AFD amp.

stretch90

Reaction score
Illusions was S.I.R. #34 (JCM800 2203).
I always tell people, if they like any of the studio recorded tones Slash got on any GNR albums, Jubilees had zero role in those albums.
I think you should give the new amp a try and see what you think. You might be surprised.

I really don't think that Slash used the jcm800 for Illusions, it actually sounds like a modded Jubilee to me. But I will say that the live tone was very different from what I heard on those albums.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
The shitty AFD clips on youtube are generally recorded by the talentless credit-card warriors who put in their order for the amp before the chassis were even stamped.

There are a few decent clips of the AFD which I would consider somewhat representative, but a majority of them are just some guys in their late 30's whose wives gave them permission to order the amp, and they sit there and wank very amatuerishly on Night Train.

Sounds like me! Except I never have permission to use the credit card...:(

trobdcso

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would do such a thing.

I agree. I argued the same point with a regional manager for Guitar Center. I told him that I would never buy something without trying it first. His argument was that since GC has a 30 day return policy, that it wasn't a risk. I see his point, but I will continue to play and test products out before I purchase something. For instance, the first DSL I played sucked, or at least I thought it did. The one I bought is awesome.

5150evh

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would do such a thing.

Believe me, I don't want to. But since Marshall has decided on this "limited run" campaign, plus you add delayed delivery to the U.S. due to safety restrictions, and you have a perfect storm/feeding frenzy where MANY people are willing to just plop down $2,000 to buy an amp they've never tried.

That leaves people like myself, who are interested in the amp, but who are methodological and meticulous demo testers, in a tough position.

drewz120

Reaction score
Believe me, I don't want to. But since Marshall has decided on this "limited run" campaign, plus you add delayed delivery to the U.S. due to safety restrictions, and you have a perfect storm/feeding frenzy where MANY people are willing to just plop down $2,000 to buy an amp they've never tried.

That leaves people like myself, who are interested in the amp, but who are methodological and meticulous demo testers, in a tough position.

Isnt this the position you are normally in then? If you dont buy when it comes out right away you are always subject to waiting for those that do. I see what your saying about testing your amps out but thats the disadvantage you get compared to the advantages of waiting and saving money.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score

right on,...i understand what your saying...

....but right after that frenzy you have another frenzy,...the one where all the guys who didn't like it, or wish they had their old amp back, or spent dough they couldn't afford so now their old lady is all up their ass about it, ....are selling them,....and there will be many. I know it's a limited run, but i think its like 2300,...that quite a few,....they only made 3000 of the orig slash head and there is a couple used ones on ebay every week. ...They only made 600 zakk w heads, and only about 1/2 of them came to the states, and there still not THAT hard to find if you keep your eyes open.

Point is, when they sell em you, can try em out, THEN if you do like it, you can buy it for several hundred dollars less. ....patience young grasshoppa':hippie:

trobdcso

Reaction score
right on,...i understand what your saying...

....but right after that frenzy you have another frenzy,...the one where all the guys who didn't like it, or wish they had their old amp back, or spent dough they couldn't afford so now their old lady is all up their ass about

Ha. True.

Cassp0nk

Reaction score
With 30 day return to store I don't really see the problem? I ordered blind, but then tested in the store before I paid and took it home. It blew me away so wasn't a hard decision!

5150evh

Reaction score
With 30 day return to store I don't really see the problem? I ordered blind, but then tested in the store before I paid and took it home. It blew me away so wasn't a hard decision!

My problem is that I ordered it out of state. After 5 days there's a 15% restocking fee ($300). But here's the kicker: The amp will be sent to my parents place in another state because that's where the rest of my amp collection is in storage. And the way my work schedule is looking, I won't be able to visit them and demo it until August/September. I could have it sent to my apartment here in L.A. but 1) I would then also have to spring for another cabinet, and 2) more importantly, my living situation in L.A. isn't nuclear half-stack approved. Needless to say, these aren't ideal amp buying conditions. :(

Again, since it's a limited run, I wanted to get one before they sold out. I wanted this amp for recording for my future home studio. But given my situation, it might just be best to wait and buy it used at a later date.

Cassp0nk

Reaction score
Yeah, that might have to be what I do.

ebay is hardly conduisive to demoing. I'd just buy it in your position as you'll be able to sell for at worst 15% loss imho as its a good amp. If you like the sound on the album you will like this amp, so not worth worrying too much imho.

5150evh

Reaction score
ebay is hardly conduisive to demoing. I'd just buy it in your position as you'll be able to sell for at worst 15% loss imho as its a good amp. If you like the sound on the album you will like this amp, so not worth worrying too much imho.

Thanks for the assurance Cass.:)