AFD100...Not Impressed.

• Thread starter 5150evh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Michael1987xl

Reaction score
....So Youtube is all I have, unless you have any better ideas....

Wrong. You make calls, you look around, you dig and dig and dig, you contact every music distributor you can, you wear the god damned phone out until you find somebody who has one in stock, you grab your guitar, get up out of your bedroom, get off your YouTube watchin' ass and go hear it live and in the tolex. 5150, I don't know about you, but this not my first Amplifier Rodeo. More importantly, I work pretty hard to steal my money everyday, so I don't drop dollar one, much less dollar one thousand or dollar twenty-five hundred or four thousand or whatever this amp costs on any piece of gear without trying it out first.

Period, end of story.

Does this mean that there are pieces of gear out there I won't ever buy, regardless how much I want them and how much noise everyone else makes about them, because no matter how hard I look around I can't hear 'em first? You betcha, Binky, but as they used to say in Soviet Georgia, "Tough shitsky, y'all".

MajorNut1967

Reaction score

okay I just listened to the clip and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. Just to be fair it was played back stereo through a fairly nice system connected to my PC. Under no circumstance would I consider the sound "holy Grail" or even impressive quite honestly it sounded like a JCM 800 that wasn't running the greatest. This is my opinion, but if you guys weren't so into the cool factor and being trendy; and actually went out and talk to a custom amp builder and worked with them I think you'd get more satisfaction for your $2000.

5150evh

Reaction score
Wrong. You make calls, you look around, you dig and dig and dig, you contact every music distributor you can, you wear the god damned phone out until you find somebody who has one in stock, you grab your guitar, get up out of your bedroom, get off your YouTube watchin' ass and go hear it live and in the tolex. 5150, I don't know about you, but this not my first Amplifier Rodeo. More importantly, I work pretty hard to steal my money everyday, so I don't drop dollar one, much less dollar one thousand or dollar twenty-five hundred or four thousand or whatever this amp costs on any piece of gear without trying it out first.

Thanks for the feedback. No definitely not my first Amp rodeo. And I've made plenty of calls, and gone to several music distributors to no avail. Since there are only 500 being released in the U.S., and the ones that are slowly trickling in from the U.K. are going to pre-orders, demoing one has become practically impossible.

eddyrox

Reaction score
I so badly want to believe this amp is awesome. It's frustrating that I can't hear it in person (Anyone in Los Angeles here?

I am in Newport Beach, work in Century City, and spend way too much time in Hollywood (Laurel Canyon on the weekends).:wave: I FEEL your pain. However, I'm holding strong and will buy the AFD - IF they EVER get here:fingersx::rock:

Cassp0nk

Reaction score
If you actually like the tone on appetite, this amp has it in spades. I didn't like the tone on UYI much so not really used #34 ;)

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
okay I just listened to the clip and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. Just to be fair it was played back stereo through a fairly nice system connected to my PC. Under no circumstance would I consider the sound "holy Grail" or even impressive quite honestly it sounded like a JCM 800 that wasn't running the greatest. This is my opinion, but if you guys weren't so into the cool factor and being trendy; and actually went out and talk to a custom amp builder and worked with them I think you'd get more satisfaction for your $2000.
hmh! (folds arms and pouts) well I thought it SOUNDED......pretty much as you described. I like a rotten 800 though but, yeah i have thought from the start that it was a bit outlandish personaly. speaking of though. i'm definitely going to be looking into a 2204 soon.

SteveGangi

Reaction score
You have to hear the actual amp "in person", not "filtered" through a YouTube video. You have to adjust the controls your way. You have to play it low and clean, and full up and overdriven. Finally, you have to test it using your guitar(s). It also helps to have a friend play it while you step away and just listen at various distances.

Then you can judge.

And then you start "jonesing" for different speaker combinations and the tone chase is really on.

LivingTheDream

Reaction score
So you start a thread saying that you're, "not impressed" despite the fact you have never personally tried out the amp????

I'm going to stop typing now because if I continue I might come off as immensely insulting.

It's kinda like someone starting a thread called, "Sleeping with Jessica Alba,....not impressed."

Catch my drift?

trobdcso

Reaction score
So you start a thread saying that you're, "not impressed" despite the fact you have never personally tried out the amp????

I'm going to stop typing now because if I continue I might come off as immensely insulting.

It's kinda like someone starting a thread called, "Sleeping with Jessica Alba,....not impressed."

Catch my drift?

That is some funny shit, and good advise.

God of Thunder

Reaction score
Pretty certain Slash said somewhere he wasn't sure what amp it was but knew it was a plexi box, hence, thats why the AFD looks like a plexi, and not an 800..........

edit: This site says that it is a super trem, NOT a 800.
http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/amps/the-appetite-amp-story/sweet-marshall-o-mine/

edit 2: Why is that site referring to it as #39? Even the guy who did the mod to the amp that Slash used on AFD referred to it as S.I.R's #39.

jupiter89

Reaction score
I would cut off my right B@ll off, I mean pull my right pre-amp tube out for Jessica Alba.

But hey, this isn't You Tube and it sounds professionally done - the text is in German but you can easily see settings used in the various clips comparing the #34 and AFD each with various power, EQ, presence and gain settings. Make sure you go to the next page too !

bonedo: Marshall AFD100 -Slash Signature Head - AFD100 - Seite 1

Alabama Thunderpussy

Reaction score
The shitty AFD clips on youtube are generally recorded by the talentless credit-card warriors who put in their order for the amp before the chassis were even stamped.

There are a few decent clips of the AFD which I would consider somewhat representative, but a majority of them are just some guys in their late 30's whose wives gave them permission to order the amp, and they sit there and wank very amatuerishly on Night Train.

5150evh

Reaction score
I would cut off my right B@ll off, I mean pull my right pre-amp tube out for Jessica Alba.

But hey, this isn't You Tube and it sounds professionally done - the text is in German but you can easily see settings used in the various clips comparing the #34 and AFD each with various power, EQ, presence and gain settings. Make sure you go to the next page too !

bonedo: Marshall AFD100 -Slash Signature Head - AFD100 - Seite 1

This is really helpful. Thanks for pointing this out :)

5150evh

Reaction score

Catch my drift?

Some of you guys in here are getting the wrong idea with what I was saying, and I partially blame myself for not being clear enough.

The amp might be awesome, but I obviously won't know until it's in front of me. The only way for that to happen in this particular situation is if I drop $2k and buy it outright because since Marshall is struggling to fill the preorders, the amps are not ending up on showroom floors anywhere to be demoed. I've tried to find a way to demo one since December.

So where does that leave me? With Youtube clips and user reviews. And why is that frustrating? Because it's an imperfect way to evaluate an amplifier that isn't available anywhere to demo.

So the word "unimpressed" was the wrong word to use. My fault. It's more like "increasingly worried" since I have to BUY one to TRY one, which is a hairy proposition in this price range. I would hate to miss out on a great amp, but I would also hate to buy one and regret it. And when I said I'm, "underwhelmed by what I'm hearing," I was referring to the majority opinion of AFD100 owners who say the #34 mode is too bright. I felt that was a red flag since that was the majority dissent.

So for those of you who understood me in my first post, thanks. And for those of you who didn't (and I understand why), I hope this clears it up.

Riffraff

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. No definitely not my first Amp rodeo. And I've made plenty of calls, and gone to several music distributors to no avail. Since there are only 500 being released in the U.S., and the ones that are slowly trickling in from the U.K. are going to pre-orders, demoing one has become practically impossible.

That's perfect. I totally get your nervousness but I think you will do fine here. Just keep hammering your distributor so that you get one of the earlier deliveries then play the shit out of it once you have it. Supply will still be much lower than demand when you take your delivery. If you aren't 100% satisfied flip it for a profit so you can go in a new direction.

MacabreSaint

Reaction score
its probably a great amp. as far as slash tone i feel like its all just a way for marshall to sell A LOT OF EXPENSIVE amps.