• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Alternative to Superbass 2

Dicesociety

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone could help please?
I'm about to join a band after a hiatus of around 10 years and need a new rig. My current amp is a JCM 800 Bass series, Superbass 2, model 1992 from 1983 which is very clean and punchy sounding. I absolutely love the sound and feel of it. Due to it's age though, my plan is to keep it at home and find something else to gig and rehearse with. The problem, is that I'm struggling to find anything I like. I have tried a Genz Benz Streamliner in the past but realised that the class D nature of it sounded lacking to me, and I also felt disconnected as if there's a very slight delay before what I play comes out the speaker. Perhaps class D amps have improved recently.

So what I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions of an amp I should try?

FutureProf88

Reaction score
I have been using a UAFX lion for guitar and it has a pretty good Superbass model in it. You could potentially get one of those and an Orange Pedal Baby (how I usually power the cabinet) or use the effect in of a bigger bass amp. The Lion feels as good as real Superbasses I’ve played. Now granted the model is a JMP Superbass and not the JCM 800.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Due to it's age?

What are you more scared of? That your amp breaks or get stolen? I'd be more scared to look like a generation-z kid playing a little toy amp.

Just gig your 800, you won't find a much more reliable amp anyways.

V-man

Reaction score
The Lion feels as good as real Superbasses I’ve played. Now granted the model is a JMP Superbass and not the JCM 800.

The JCM 1992 is likely to the JMP 1992 as the VBA is to the JCM 1992… entirely different animals. Owned the JCM, never played the JMP (yet), but the latter has a drive/breakup character to it whereas the JCM must be virtually dimed and the player must beat the shit out of the strings to get anything more than clean on it.

I have no idea what analogs exist to the JCM (if any) but it’s a bombproof amp, so why not use what you have?