• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

ART Pro VLA II

• Thread starter PelliX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisNixon

Reaction score

Nothing fancy, older 266's, haha.
Man, I don’t think i’ve ever met a DBX compressor that I didn’t like (although I’m not as big a fan of the 160XT). I have a 161 (unbalanced version of a 160) that I had converted to a Jensen transformer balanced 160. A half dozen 160X’s and Audioscape’s 2 channel 160’s with a couple twists in true Audioscape fashion.

The 266 has the over easy setting and true RMS detectors and the 266 has a sidechain capability. it has a rudimentary gate feature if memory serves. Basically a greatest hits of DBX’s unique capabilities and sound. I’m sure I’m preaching to the Pope since you own one and I don’t but that’s the cool thing about them, they have been so successful because they have unique circuit designs that they have included on just about every compressor/limiter. I also love that the DBX’s are VCA style comps and that you can set up the compression and limiter sections differently and simultaneously.

They will complement your new pair of K-T 1176’s extremely well. Set a very tight compression ratio in over easy and set the limiter to catch transients and the smooth over easy selected into an 1176 with a variation on the all buttons in setting is such a great signal chain that can be very powerful and versatile.

A couple of other good “sleepers” mainly for guitars are the Symetrix 501 compressor and the blue face Ashly SC50 compressor. If you’re patient, you can snag either one for $200 or so. Google both the Symetrix (Formerly known as Valley People) 501 and the blue face Ashly SC-50 on recording forum like gearslutz/gearspace.com

PelliX

Reaction score
The 266 has the over easy setting and true RMS detectors and the 266 has a sidechain capability. it has a rudimentary gate feature if memory serves. Basically a greatest hits of DBX’s unique capabilities and sound. I’m sure I’m preaching to the Pope since you own one and I don’t but that’s the cool thing about them, they have been so successful because they have unique circuit designs that they have included on just about every compressor/limiter. I also love that the DBX’s are VCA style comps and that you can set up the compression and limiter sections differently and simultaneously.

Haha, yeah, they work well for me. Not bad units, sidechain and all. Did you know that they incidentally have an extremely high top shelf? I had the oscillation of a transistor in a piece of gear leak into an audio bus because a couple of caps were knackered (yeah, happens to all of us) and it took me a while to track down the fault because I wasn't hearing or seeing anything on the spectrum analyzer either. I narrowed it down to the device and hooked up a scope to see what what was going on; that lead me to the transistor causing the oscillation which was weeell out of the audible spectrum. Thanks DBX for bringing that one to my attention...

They will complement your new pair of K-T 1176’s extremely well. Set a very tight compression ratio in over easy and set the limiter to catch transients and the smooth over easy selected into an 1176 with a variation on the all buttons in setting is such a great signal chain that can be very powerful and versatile.

That does sound like a killer chain, but I still have mixed emotions on the Over Easy, haha!

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
Haha, yeah, they work well for me. Not bad units, sidechain and all. Did you know that they incidentally have an extremely high top shelf? I had the oscillation of a transistor in a piece of gear leak into an audio bus because a couple of caps were knackered (yeah, happens to all of us) and it took me a while to track down the fault because I wasn't hearing or seeing anything on the spectrum analyzer either. I narrowed it down to the device and hooked up a scope to see what what was going on; that lead me to the transistor causing the oscillation which was weeell out of the audible spectrum. Thanks DBX for bringing that one to my attention...

That does sound like a killer chain, but I still have mixed emotions on the Over Easy, haha!
Man, I’d NEVER have been able to troubleshoot that oscillating transistor. I’ve learned what I know and when to call a tech such as yourself.

I’m with you on the over easy as it’s not as precise as setting the attack and release yourself, but I think you’ll be surprised when you hear it with the 1176. It is of course against all best practices to run one compressor into another. But hey, if Jimmy Page could run his guitar through 2 consecutive 1176’s on “Black Dog”, the rules sometimes go out the window. Also be sure to try the Jimmy Page trick since you’ll have 2 1176 circuits.

PelliX

Reaction score
Man, I’d NEVER have been able to troubleshoot that oscillating transistor. I’ve learned what I know and when to call a tech such as yourself.

Thanks, but it was a really a bog standard 'cap job' repair. Eventually the problem would have manifested itself otherwise, too, but the gate on those compressors was an early warning. It's nice to know that it's capable of dealing with ... a dog's sound spectrum.

But hey, if Jimmy Page could run his guitar through 2 consecutive 1176’s on “Black Dog”, the rules sometimes go out the window. Also be sure to try the Jimmy Page trick since you’ll have 2 1176 circuits.

Lol! My drummer is going to kill me when I suggest we re-record that one! :D