An Interesting Live Setup Idea

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
You asked brother and I answered.
I have no dog in this fight, just doing some reading as I always do here, and if my actions are offending, I apologize to the parties involved!!
Thanks
Take no offense bro, please. I hope I shed some light on some of this stuff for you.
For me it is all fun.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
You have shed plenty of light on a lot of things that have been quite helpful, the reason I read so much here. Knowledge is priceless!!
Cheers
Now that is something I can "Like" man.

Dude I hope one day I get around to playing and posting videos as you do here. You give me a goal also. :yesway::)

Verminator25

Reaction score
No, my second amp is coming in a few days. I did run an 80’s Boss Dimension C in the front of my amp and my dad’s amp and ran each amp into one side of his stereo 4x12. That sounded frickin amazing!

El Gringo

Reaction score
Doing it is fine as long as you maker sure the gear used keeps the two paths in phase.

If anyone cannot cannot get a hold of diagram or schematic or cannot decipher it then let your ears do the work. Again if it sounds off or lacking then it is wrong.

NOTE! It sure would be great if manufacturers would include phase information at their products output in their specifications.
:agreed:
The phase issue is hard enough normally and then factor this in ? A bit much for some ambience .

zachman

Reaction score
Imagine this:

It’s the early 80’s. You’re the guitarist in the band (fill in the blank). You walk out on stage and you’ve got two Marshall full stacks behind you— one has you’re guitar direct into it, and the other is at a slight delay, very short, like a couple milliseconds.

Anyway I had this idea because a friend gave me a few guitar pedals, one of which was the Electro Harmonix Analogizer. Possibly the most useless pedal in the world. It’s supposed to make a digital rig sound more “analog” which it kind of fails at by putting anywhere from 0-60 milliseconds of delay on your guitar signal. It’s been sitting in my room for a long while but I though of this idea after researching how chorus works.

What do you guys think of this idea for a live rig? It wouldn’t be true chorus because the delay time isn’t being modulated, but the slight fixed delay might add a sort of 3D effect to the guitar sound, wouldn’t it? Seems like an 80’s type of vibe would ensue.

What say you?

That's just a Dual mono rig, or you could run a stereo delay, Chorus, etc. between the 2 stacks and have a Stereo Architecture w/ different delay settings on L vs R.

I've been doing all of the above-- and then some, since the 80's. It works GREAT, for me!

Put on some headphones and listen to this for some ideas on stereo spread w/ Delays, Chorus, Harmonizer, etc...)

This is through my W/D/W rig (a Mono rig running pedals before the amp input, in parallel w/ a Stereo Rig running Stereo FX)

It's Clean tones at the beginning and at 1:45 is me playing around with a VH1 tone

zachman

Reaction score
Watch out. Some may call your sound a hoax. :)

Which sound? There are definitely more than a few. lol ;)

Is that like a zen riddle? Don't believe your lying ears, it's the equivalent of a mirage... lol ...There is no actual sound, it's a hoax

Verminator25

Reaction score
That's just a Dual mono rig, or you could run a stereo delay, Chorus, etc. between the 2 stacks and have a Stereo Architecture w/ different delay settings on L vs R.

I've been doing all of the above-- and then some, since the 80's. It works GREAT, for me!

Put on some headphones and listen to this for some ideas on stereo spread w/ Delays, Chorus, Harmonizer, etc...)

This is through my W/D/W rig (a Mono rig running pedals before the amp input, in parallel w/ a Stereo Rig running Stereo FX)

It's Clean tones at the beginning and at 1:45 is me playing around with a VH1 tone

That’s pretty impressive Zachman! The first part reminds me of The Fixx lol. But that VH tone is pretty spot on.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Absolutely it would but it is sweeping to give you a chorus effect and then the stereo rig gives you a more pronounced effect using this phasing delta which scews with your brain's positional image. It's like mixing cabs and/or speakers, anyone who understand exactly was is going on avoids it and most peaple that experiment with it (and are really paying attention to its effect) come out realizing that you might get a better sound in one spot but will certainly have more issues everywhere else. An open back "airy" cab with a nice reverb and a bit of carefully adjusted delay sounds awsome in my room but use very little of that shit live if you want to sound better or care what the audience hears IMO.
Everything you are saying is gospel to me and the phase issue is real and why already add to that drama . No Thanks for me , along with open back cabs and reverb as well ( which I ditched both when I switched to Marshall from Fender , and haven't looked back once ! )

Reactions: JBA

zachman

Reaction score
Everything you are saying is gospel to me and the phase issue is real and why already add to that drama . No Thanks for me , along with open back cabs and reverb as well ( which I ditched both when I switched to Marshall from Fender , and haven't looked back once ! )

I remember having a phase issue years ago in another rig and eliminated it by utilizing a line mixer

Bull Rock

Reaction score
Yamaha has a thr 100 solid state with two identical channels that you can set any way you want and will play together through a spkr cab or one out of each speaker. Dual amp rig tone. Supposed to pretty good apparently. I watched a couple vids and it sounded ok to me. Interesting idea.