Any Ibanez Folks On Here?

• Thread starter ricksconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Derek S

Reaction score
Ibanez was so big for so long, especially throughout the shred era, that they get dumped on for churning out so many dime-a-dozen guitars - it's like anything else, at some point you go from being the darlings to being cliche and suddenly you're UN-hip! And I guess that's how it goes. Hopefully the Kardashians are next to follow down this path and go the %@^k away already. Ibanez became a machine and everybody and their brother has the same type axe, but they DO still make some exceptional, unique models from time to time. I have two "keepers" IMO that I really love, both are tone machines and have their own thing working for them...my red puzzle top prestige is my main lead/melody guitar as it has a mahogany body with a thick flame/quilt maple top that no other guitar I currently own happens to sound like. The aqua Nez below is Ash with a birdseye neck and again, sounds totally unique within my small collection of guitars (Charvels, Strats, Kramer, etc). So I'm not a huge Ibanez fan, nor an anti Ibanez guy...I guess I just like fine guitars, regardless of the brand name or popularity!

Last edited:

ricksconnected

Reaction score
Hopefully the Kardashians are next to follow down this path and go the %@^k away already.

close !

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...an-west-robbed-millions-jewelry-paris-n658381

5 guys and STILL they couldnt complete the job. unbelievable.

love those guitars derek. the puzzle ive never seen before. limited run maybe?
ibanez just fits my playing style, along with jackson and charvel. they just feel good
in my hands ya know. i agree that ibanez has WAY to many models out,
along with fender and jackson. well and several others actually.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
5 guys and STILL they couldnt complete the job. unbelievable.

love those guitars derek. the puzzle ive never seen before. limited run maybe?
ibanez just fits my playing style, along with jackson and charvel. they just feel good
in my hands ya know. i agree that ibanez has WAY to many models out,
along with fender and jackson. well and several others actually.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I love the late 80s and early 90s Sabers/Radias/RG. Such quality instruments, even by today's standards. I had an 88 Radias, and now have this 92 Saber LTD which I stripped the paint off of. The Edge trem on these stay in tune better than any I've used.
I'm always looking on Craigslist for deals on these, truly among some the best guitars out there for the price

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 6

Derek S

Reaction score
Thanks dudes for the comments about "The Puzzler" (as I like to call it). It is a very limited run model, I believe there was only 60 of these to the US for the 2006 NAMM show. But this one is even more unique. A good friend of mine is a boutique owner/dealer, travels the country looking for rare and collectable gear. A few years ago he personally bought this guitar from Mr. Will Hunt, drummer for Evanescence (as well as stints with Motley Crue, Black Label Society), who apparently dabbles with guitar. It was NOS as he never got around to playing it being a famous drummer and all lol - but apparently he fell on difficult times (divorce, etc) and decided to sell it. It was slightly customized for him as well (different pickups from stock, etc). My friend gave me first crack at it and of course I nabbed it!

So anyway, that's the story behind this particular guitar...so funny - I didn't even realize it until I started telling it, but it's '16 and now the 10 year anny I suppose haha, so on account of that, I have to post a few more shots.

Derek S

Reaction score
cool story bro. is the surface smooth or can you feel the pieces?
You can feel them. They're individual quilted and flamed maple jigsaw puzzle pieces vacuum formed to the body. There's no real gloss to the guitar so it's kinda easy to keep clean, has a smooth, non-tacky feel to it, almost like an unfinished neck. I sometimes use a soft old tooth brush to clean the grooves between the pieces when need be (though they never get very dirty to begin with being a home studio use only guitar). I don't know if it's my favorite gtr but it's definitely the most unique and sounds really nice!

renips

Reaction score
IMG_1214_zpsqxqtbyvo.jpg

IMG_1214_zpsqxqtbyvo.jpg

My 1987 JEM. A fantastic guitar I have been playing and recording with for years. A one piece neck that is the most amazing neck I have ever played.

Another old one. My 1981 Ibanez destroyer in flame maple sunburst. Ibanez only made this color in 1981 for this model year. Another great guitar with much playing and recording history for me. I had put the Kahler on it in the early 80's and most recently I had the internals changed and put an Air Norton in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge. The body style of this guitar is so comfortable to play.
IMG_0277_zps3evgdhwd.jpg

Last edited:

renips

Reaction score
I had been changing pups in that guitar since I got it. Alway experimented with tones. In the last couple of years I thought I would get a new pair and change out the pots and wiring as it started to corrode in there. The all black pups look great and sound awesome.

renips

Reaction score
It's about time you posted that pic. That 1997 JEM is sweet. Plays amazing. The other one is not bad either LOL

Latest posts