Anybody else stopped looking at new guitars?

• Thread starter GuitarIV
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
So of all the guitars I own I purchased maybe 3 completely new, or let's say for the full price. The rest was bought either on sale for a good deal or used.

I have a custom built Les Paul in the works right now and I do check out the used market here and there.

However whenever I see prices on new guitars, I just have to shake my head.

LTDs going for almost 2k, Epiphones for over 1500, American Fenders all north of 2k and let's not even mention Gibson USA here.

Now I have all I need and then some, however if I'm gonna expand my arsenal, I sure as hell ain't buying new. Anyone else feel the same?

I know the situation in general is not peachy, but prices have gone through the roof.

BlueX

Reaction score
Coincident or not, but I've found myself looking for used guitar since about 6 months back (instead of new). There was an ad for a very sweet burst Gibson LPC from '74 recently, about EUR/USD 4 000. Attracted me much more than any new guitar I've seen lately. Had some other spendings lately so timing was a bit off. Next time maybe.

lespaul339

Reaction score
For the most part, yes. I've stopped looking. Prices are crazy. I honestly can't justify a big guitar purchase anymore considering all the guitars I currently own and how much they've gone up in price.

I have all the high end guitars I need, honestly. So when I am looking at newer ones, they're on the lower end price wise. It's more oddball stuff I think would be cool or fun to have. For example, I've been gassing for a Danelectro Stock '59. $450 new. My days of buying a brand new Gibson or high end Fender are done. I'd gladly rock a Squire Classic Vibe over paying thousands for a brand new high end Fender. I refuse to pay $1000 for an Epiphone. I'd rather have a Harley Benton over an Epiphone. My last two brand new guitar purchases were Harley Bentons.

Here is a prime example: $1700 for this new Epiphone! FOR AN EPIPHONE! It's gotten crazy.
That price and it doesn't even have a rosewood fretboard.

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
I like a new acoustic. But I've never in my life had a new electric. They're just way too shiny, and expensive, and I like to mod my guitars to suit what I want.

Last edited:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time looking, but not buying.
To me guitars are great used, they are often better than new as they may have a better setup.
Some things I just wont buy used as they are disgusting, like clothes or food, but guitars dont go off.
I have bought several as new guitars from ebay, all as new and less than 50% RRP.
There are one or two new guitars I think are worth the price but there are always guitars on ebay I think are worth 3x the price.

I just remembered I bought a new guitar last week, but it was only £200 so it does not really count. Probably parts.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just stopped looking at guitars....
Happy with what I got - some were bought new, some used.

Also, not disappointed with the current value of any of them.
Got some killer deals on a few of the used ones.
Even the new ones I've purchased were a good deal with discounts, trade-ins, and to some degree, the timing of when I got them.

Still looking at amps continuously though....

RLW59

Reaction score
The market is returning to historical norms.

I started playing in 1972. I bought a used Les Paul Deluxe in '74 for $350 - $2316 adjusted for inflation. I bought a brand new Strat and case in '76 for approx $500 -- that's $2600 in today's shrunken dollars. Those were both "nice used car" money. In 1959, a Les Paul with a case was $290 -- sounds like a bargain but that was $3000 in today's money (historically, "professional" grade guitars were always big money).

I hate to sound like a grumpy old man, but young people can't really appreciate what an amazing bubble the past ~25 years were. Quality went way up and prices went way down. A 2001 MIM Classic '70s was better in every way than my '76 but you could buy it for the same $500 (albeit with a gig bag instead of a hard case).

Back in the 1900's, normal people didn't have guitar collections. We thought we were fortunate to have one good guitar. Some people had an electric and an acoustic, but only rock stars had arsenals of guitars. From '72 to '99 I owned a grand total of 7 guitars -- one at a time. Since 2000 I've owned 20 plus -- max was 17 at one time (now down to 6).

Sad to see the golden age come to a close, but glad I had the luck to live through it.

thesunship

Reaction score
I bought a Les Paul special last year new and I thought it was a reasonable deal - open box for $1,200 with warranty.

Since then I'm just trying to sell off guitars I don't play.

Nkyrental

Reaction score
Yep, stopped looking completely and have now sold 2 of my guitars. Also sold an amp, and some miscellaneous stuff as well. My Strat is fine with my Fender Blues Deluxe amp for anything I will play at home. Prices are crazy high, and will stay that way. Just another reason I am glad I am old!

anitoli

Reaction score
I never stop looking and maybe going the next step as well. This is brand new three weeks out:

20240208_140952.jpg

Browsed the used listings and it was too painful sorting through price to high/low, condition too beat, price too high, no case, wear and tear, shipping charges, ect. Found this price was reasonable for USA made P-Bass with case and warranty and free shipping. Plays and sounds amazing. This may very well push the Ric 4001 onto the chopping block.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
I look a little bit at new guitars, but for the most part find them incredibly overpriced. The last new guitar I bought was one of the Dave Mustaine flying V’s they only made 100 of and I had been looking for a hockey stick headstock Gibson XPL V for years.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    790.4 KB · Views: 5

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Some stuff I looked at today

Addicted.