are floyd roses out of fashion yet?

• Thread starter EL 34
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

• FR rule and so do spandex pants

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • FR are as dated as 80s glam rock

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
One of my dream guitars is a Les Paul-style guitar with a Floyd.

ESP%20Standard%20Series%20%20%20%20Eclipse-IIFR%20Black%206-String%20Electric%20Guitar.jpg

axcess.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_H72832.001_silverburst.jpg

FR35.jpg

Neil-Schon-NS14-900a.jpg

**** the traditionalists, I think these are sexy. :naughty:

xbolt

Reaction score
and who the hell would put one on a les paul? alex lifeson is a dork.

1985 called. they want their nerdling whammy bar back.

discuss.

Why would it have anything to do with fashion...you don't wear a Floyd you play one.

Gossip Girl called and you are their #1 corkstar.
Now go strap on your wireless and prance about...nothing else to discuss

MaxFrames

Reaction score
There definitely is an element of fashion in stuff like that, because visually and musically this type of bridge was one of the icons of a period.
But in itself it is just another tool to make music, and as such cannot really go out of fashion. For my style and my music, I would harldy need it, but if I could I would like to have it on at least one guitar. I would not mount it on a Les Paul because I don't think it matches the looks of the instrument.

johnfv

Reaction score
I was stupid enough to install a Kahler on a guitar back in the '80s but have never owned a Floyd. I don't want or need a locking trem but have nothing against the guys that like them. I don't know that this thread is much other than a trolling attempt. Carry on gents...

mott555

Reaction score
I don't care one bit about fashion. And I love my Floyd Rose, I think all guitars should have one. I can put my strat in the case, travel across the state, unpack it two weeks later, hang it on the wall, and finally take it down a week after that and play it and it'll still be in tune!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
and who the hell would put one on a les paul? alex lifeson is a dork.

1985 called. they want their nerdling whammy bar back.

discuss.

Since I'm single, I've been doing online dating, and one of the sites I've been using is called OK Cupid. On the site, there are a number of questions to go through to help match people up compatibility wise … interestingly enough, one of the questions was along the lines of:

If you were to find out that someone you were interested in was a nerd back in high school, which would be the most likely reaction?

* I'd like them more
* I'd like them less
* It would not affect how I feel

Pretty much 100% of respondents to that question that I've come across have answered that it would cause them to 'like them more' … which is to say, there's nothing wrong w/having a little dork in you haha.

As for the topic, well, consider the timer period, dude … you referenced the year of 1985, which was smack dab in the middle of the 'guitar gymnastics era'. You're also on the Marshall Forum, which was clearly the amp manufacturer of choice for most of the guys of that time period, so of course you're going to have a lot of fans of that style here (myself included). This surely can't be a revelation to you, no?

EL 34

Reaction score
the locking trems generally catered to a genre of guitarists from the shred and metal era of the 80s. their big hair days. to still see them in demand goes to show there is still a huge following of that bygone era or style of guitar playing.

i'd argue all of the most popular and classic guitar tones we know of came from non-locking trem guitars. the guitarists who made those riffs and licks are still not using locking trems for the most part. plus the locking trems just look goofy to me. i'm used to the classics and i guess i always will be.

i'm the minority here on this?

marshallforum is, thankfully, not as snooty and elitist as the other gear forums and i appreciate when people here, generally, don't act like fems when there's a difference of opinion.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
i am not into hybrid guitars. i buy a tele to sound like a tele, an LP to sound like an LP, and a Jem to sound like a Jem. Sometimes it involves a floyd and sometimes it doesnt. has nothing to do with fashion.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
the locking trems generally catered to a genre of guitarists from the shred and metal era of the 80s. their big hair days. to still see them in demand goes to show there is still a huge following of that bygone era or style of guitar playing.

i'd argue all of the most popular and classic guitar tones we know of came from non-locking trem guitars. the guitarists who made those riffs and licks are still not using locking trems for the most part. plus the locking trems just look goofy to me. i'm used to the classics and i guess i always will be.

i'm the minority here on this?

marshallforum is, thankfully, not as snooty and elitist as the other gear forums and i appreciate when people here, generally, don't act like fems when there's a difference of opinion.

I think they're ghey looking too... with that said, I own one and have a blast playing Van Halen in my underwear in the confines of my bedroom. I have an ESP Elite M-II (type guitar Kirm Whammet uses) with a Floyd Rose. It never - I mean NEVER - goes out of tune. Even when dive bombing to china and back it never goes out of tune. I can't say the same for my Les Pauls, Strats etc which all require daily tuning to some extent. The only thing that pisses me off is the locking nut.. I like to play in Drop D and that's just not possible. I also dread changing the strings.

EndGame00

Reaction score
For aesthetic looks, floyd rose don't look good on a Les Paul....IMO. my only issue with locking trems are the decay and sustain on higher strings...

1neeto

Reaction score
That is the best thing about FR trems, you can go nuts with that whammy bar and the guitar will stay in tune. Cons are, you can't drop D and if a string breaks, the guitar is useless until you replace the string.

poeman33

Reaction score
I still think they are the best locking trem if you are into that thing. Those suckers stay in tune no matter what you do. My 80's days are over and I have no need for one. But there are still some modern guitarists that use locking trems, and have heavily trem use in their songs. Satch comes to mind. He certainly isn't a "big Hair" guy :) His music isn't exactly 80's stuff either.

So I think there is definitely still a place for them.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know what kind of Trem Music Man is using in the John Petrucci guitar.... it doesn't have a locking nut but still lets him do all the whammy wanking.

MusicManPetrucci4.jpg

MaxFrames

Reaction score
the locking trems generally catered to a genre of guitarists from the shred and metal era of the 80s. their big hair days. to still see them in demand goes to show there is still a huge following of that bygone era or style of guitar playing

I don't know if the playing style is bygone as much the hairstyle/look is.
Fashion comes and goes, music stays; IMO music styles don't get obsolete, they just add to the big basket where you can pick what you like.
Locking bridges serve the purpouse to make heavy use of the whammy bar without losing the tuning. There's more to this than hair metal.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'd like to know what kind of Trem Music Man is using in the John Petrucci guitar.... it doesn't have a locking nut but still lets him do all the whammy wanking.

It's a proprietary bridge that EBMM only makes for the Petrucci sigs. Looks like it's just a 2-point bridge with roller saddles.