• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Attenuator Amp Reliability, OMG!!!!!!!

• Thread starter dennyps4
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
There are so many opinions around loads, and mismatched loads and attenuators that it's unlikely you'll find consensus.

I use my 1959 with a THD hot plate. Many pros do, actually.

I've never had an issue.

Analogman88

Reaction score
Yeah...that seems to be the case. I've heard professional amp technicians say that attenuators are perfectly safe while other technicians say attenuators are absolutely not to be trusted, which is why I'm still very confused at this point. Most all the Hot Plate and other attenuator users I've heard from have said exactly what you said. So I'm becoming more and more convinced that the amp I had WAS a lemon which would cause it to malfunction with or without a HP, as mine did with and without it. I'm still too chicken to plug my new amp into that HP though. That's a sure fire way to find out but I don't think Marshall USA would give me another replacement if this second one was to give me the same problems.:scratch:???

keennay

Reaction score
Get yourself an Aracom DAG. It has a speaker input switch from 4 to 16 ohms, & speaker out switch from 4 to 16 ohms as well. Top quality and smokes all the others.

dreyn77

Reaction score
I've seen many amps that look okay on the outside but on the inside they're full of dust.

that's what will catch fire if these things are left on for days.

if it sits on the valves, watchout! there she blows!

HAmmer

Reaction score
I got a Rock crusher a few weeks ago and its the greatest thing since the discovery of fire, Im using it on a DSL40

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I just had to post this. I have a Jcm 900 SL-X 50 watt head and a Rivera Rockcrusher. The other day, not sure how long exactly, I played my Sl-X and my family came home, so I covered it as usual, blah blah, long story short I went down today to discover that the head was still ON, I forgot to shut it off, it was off off Standby for at least 2 days no speaker cab hooked up either!!!!!! What an effing dumb ass. Luckily it was hooked up to my Rivera rockcrusher, and was on attenuate but not in studio mode! The head was hot as hell but I decided to see if it was dead and ran it anyway and sounds as good as ever!!!!! I can't believe it it's not dead. So if anyone has a question of reliability or performance of the Rivera rockcrusher. It is top notch, not to mention the reliability of the sl-x too. Without the rockcrusher my sl-x would be deader than a door nail. I'm am still sketched out about this. I must have disconnected and moved the cab not noticing the head was still on, because it was covered. There must be a protection load in the rockcrusher for idiots like me. I am one lucky bastard. Cheers!

You are talking about the reliability of the AMP! NOT the "rockcrusher."

Because of all this hype:
I am very suspicious of the "Rivera Rockcrusher."

Let the thing withstand a test of time.
I am absolutely NON-convinced.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hello Marshall friends,
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I found this thread by googling many hours trying to find out if any attenuator is 100% safe. A Marshall tech told me that I shouldn't use any attenuator at all with my 100 watt 1959HW. Since this post, what have you guys experienced with the Rock Crushers or other reactive attenuators? Any major malfunctions due to attenuators?

NOW I have your answer:

*ONLY use a professional attenuator
(such as Marshall Power Brake, THD, etc...)
FYI: Professional Attenuator does not cost $29.95 at Guitar Center

If the attenuator / amp / speaker is properly matched for impedance...
If the cables are ALL correct speaker cables...
There is no reason NOT to use it.

The tech who told you not to use it:
is full of crap.

I hope that answers your question, definitively.

Analogman88

Reaction score
Thank you: Ozzk, ampmadscientist, Keennay, mickeydg5, dreyn77, HAmmer, and IronMaidenNutter for your informative responses! Now that I've figured out how to use a multimeter properly, my 16 ohm cab reads 12.6 ohm. My 16 ohm Hot Plate plugged into my 16 ohm cabinet reads 10.2 ohm at -16 dB and 10.55 ohm at -12dB which is where I set it when I need attenuation. I would think these readings were normal but IDK about when the amp is plugged into it and the fan and bulbs kick on since it's not inductive reactive. To be on the safe side I think I will order a Rock Crusher though.

Last edited:

usablefiber

Reaction score
One of the best purchases I ever made.
This guy has saved my ass, I can play my jcm into the early hours of the monr without bothering the neighbors. I had problems with another attenuator that always seemed to blow my tubes, but this guy was never gave me any problems.

Analogman88

Reaction score
One of the best purchases I ever made.
This guy has saved my ass, I can play my jcm into the early hours of the monr without bothering the neighbors. I had problems with another attenuator that always seemed to blow my tubes, but this guy was never gave me any problems.

Which one? The Rock Crusher?

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
16 ohm cab reads 12.6 ohms, that's correct.
I'm not sure why you think "rockcrusher" is on the "safe side..." more than any other pro attenuator(?)

When players have problems with pro attenuators, it's usually an operator error.

Speaker Cables: are a big fail point.
The market is flooded with defect garbage speaker cables!
AND the biggest problem is defective plugs on these cables.

Your best bet is:
Use speaker cables with Switchcraft Plugs, or Neutrik Plugs.
Beware of knock-off lookalike plugs from China- they are everywhere.
Never Use : "hot wires" speaker cables, I warned you.

Analogman88

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Are D'Addario Planet Waves speaker cables safe? I just bought two because of what you (ampmadscientist) said before and they both read a steady 12.6 ohm when plugged into my cab. ???

Blueslicks

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Are D'Addario Planet Waves speaker cables safe? I just bought two because of what you (ampmadscientist) said before and they both read a steady 12.6 ohm when plugged into my cab. ???

Here's what you need to understand about attenuators...

They are designed to let you run an amp with the volume all the way up.

Without the attenuator, this is something you would only be doing sparingly at a rehearsal space or in a live performance setting which would unlikely be for much more than an hour or two at a time.

What happens is people use attenuators for hours at a time in a bedroom setting with the amp turned all the way up and they do so on a daily basis simply because they "can". This overuse of the privilege is what becomes dangerous to the amp. Running an amp that hard for extended periods can cause heat issues as well as eat through tubes at an accelerated rate.

Before attenuators people used to simply play the amp at a much lower volume and utilize a dirt pedal for added gain. This latter method does not stress the components or tubes as the amp is not having to work hard within the limitations of volume the average person can withstand or subject themselves to in a bedroom setting.

The best way to use an attenuator is to use it to knock down the volume a bit to compensate for a small venue, bitchy soundman or in a rehearsal setting where competing with a drummer requires an amp with some wattage. If you are going to play in a bedroom get a dirt pedal or a smaller amp is my suggestion.

Analogman88

Reaction score
Thanks Bueslicks. Shorter tube life I understand, but 5 hrs till a tube blows, then 3 more hours OPT shorts, then 40 minutes between every blown HT fuse=bad amp or bad attenuator. That was my situation. Some of the gigs my band gets, I HAVE TO use some attenuation or we wouldn't be invited back, so I'm considering whether I need a safer attenuator before I hook it up to my brand new replacement amp. I already have a practice amp and plenty pedals.

Last edited:

Blueslicks

Reaction score
Thanks Bueslicks. Shorter tube life I understand, but 5 hrs till a tube blows, then 3 more hours OPT shorts, then 40 minutes between every blown HT fuse=bad amp or bad attenuator. This was my situation. Some of the gigs my band gets, I HAVE TO use some attenuation or we wouldn't be invited back, so I'm considering whether I need a safer attenuator before I hook it up to my brand new replacement amp. I already have a practice amp and plenty pedals.

Yes I see your initial post was...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I found this thread by googling many hours trying to find out if any attenuator is 100% safe. A Marshall tech told me that I shouldn't use any attenuator at all with my 100 watt 1959HW. Since this post, what have you guys experienced with the Rock Crushers or other reactive attenuators? Any major malfunctions due to attenuators?

IME...

I had a 2061x and a 1959HW. I used the 1959HW with 2 to 3 clicks down on a PB100 for a few gigs without issue.

I got rid of both HW amps because of what IMO was simply poor build quality that, once I did the tech visit math, spooked me for holding any confidence towards the series reliability for gigging. Beautiful circuit and a pretty box but not a robust or well executed build with the electronics.

Having said that, I have used a PB100 for over 10 years with my 1987x amps without issue. I do however only use the PB100 for 2 to 3 clicks which is about a 9db reduction and that's in a live or rehearsal setting only.

I have a 1 watt amp for home practice.

Another thing you could try if attenuating is a worry is scaling back to a 2x12 cab with inefficient speakers. That is if you hadn't tried this already. You may also want to investigate the Eminence FDM speakers like the Reignmaker

http://www.eminence.com/?s=reignmaker&x=0&y=0

And as mentioned earlier by forum member Keennay, you can't really go wrong if you are willing to spend the bucks on an Aracom.

http://www.aracom-amps.com/products/prx150-2.html

Analogman88

Reaction score
No problem, Blueslicks.

Yeah I should've started a new thread instead of bringing up this old one but was hoping to get responses from those personal Rockcrusher users that started this thread as well. I'm leaning toward a Rockcrusher, but would consider an Aracom if some think it is safer for your amp than a Rockcrusher.

Blueslicks

Reaction score
No problem, Blueslicks.

Yeah I should've started a new thread instead of bringing up this old one but was hoping to get responses from those personal Rockcrusher users that started this thread as well. I'm leaning toward a Rockcrusher, but would consider an Aracom if some think it is safer for your amp than a Rockcrusher.

And that's another thing with attenuators. Some sound good with some amps and some with those very same amps not so much.

I do know that for my tastes the DRZ-Air Brake as well as the Weber Mass 100 don't sound great with a 1987x but a PB100 does. Alternately the PB100 doesn't sound good at all with a Fender Twin whereas the DRZ-Air Brake or the Weber Mass 100 both do a great job.

I can't speak for the Rockcrusher as I've never spent much time with one but the Aracom definitely sounds excellent with a Plexi or a JMP 2203-2204.